236 versus 257 Help with deciding.

WSimms

Reaction score
Hello

New member here. 30+ years boating experience. I am looking at 236 and a 257 Fisherman for use around Hilton Head area give or take 100 miles of ICW. Most of the boating will be inland or near shore. Trying to decide if there is enough difference between interior room and rough water handling to go with the 257 over the 236. Half the time will be day tripping to
Savannah, Beaufort, etc. 1/2 the time fishing. The Port Royal sound and other open water can get nasty quick. I like that the 236 is a little better on fuel economy. I like that the 257 has twins and little longer although its not much. What are the thoughts of the group that have been and ridden on both? Thanks for any info you can share.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
bigger is bigger. BUT... the 257 isn't any wider. Thats when you start noticing a difference. You really need to stand on them to compare.

IMO if you aren't going offshore, skip the twins. Even the 257 can run a single 300 or 350.

GH236

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
The swim platforms on the 236 are great for water sports and we can hit 50 mph with the 300.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ride em and decide. You didn't mention price, options, condition, years and maintenance history. I still say ride em in minor slop if you can and decide. Bring someone else to help you decide if you have a knowledgeable buddy,

WSimms

Reaction score
Thanks for the early replies. Someone asked about year and budget. I'm looking at anything from roughly 2018 (with the proper documented history) up to new. Budget up to $200k but I'd be just as happy spending way less if the boat is in great shape and the right fit. I definitely want a windless for convenience when its just me or just with the wife. I've got a 23' Searay bow rider I use on the the lake now and I have a Keywest 211 Bluewater that I have been trailering to the coast for years. The Key West has been a great little boat but now that I have permanent place to slip one on Hilton Head I am looking for something a little bigger and heavier to handle the rougher days or when a summer thunderstorm pops up. It will be wet slipped.

I agree the width can make a big difference on a boat and that drew me to a Scout 255 which I really liked the lines, but once I got on one, the helm and seat console was so large it made the boat feel small and tight in my opinion. Had a few smaller Gradys in the past and always happy with them so that what has brought me to this point. I went to the boat show in Savannah hoping to see both side by side but they only had the 236 there. Guess I'll have to go to the dealer but finding a dealer that I can easily get too with both is stock has not been easy. Keep the insights coming. Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The slip is a bonus.No trailering....It would make me look for wider 25. Sea Hunt makes an 8'11' beam 25 CC "Escape" that looks like a nice fit for your needs. It can handle a single 425.
Sea Hunts 25 Gamefish is more of an offshore boat with 9'2" beam.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I'd go bigger now and skip the two-foot-itis.

Not mine; but it is at my local dealer. They are good people....

WSimms

Reaction score
I'd go bigger now and skip the two-foot-itis.

Not mine; but it is at my local dealer. They are good people....

I get it and basically agree on the two foot-itis. Availability is driving part of the 236 consideration.

Good looking boat. It's a Long Long Long way from MA to Hilton Head SC. 1000+ miles too far for me to trailer a boat. Wonder what it costs to ship a used boat that far?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
No idea how much it would be to ship it, but keep in mind that boats in the North East tend to have fewer hours and far less exposure to UV, so it may be worthwhile to bit the bullet on the shipping (it's only a one time deal).

WSimms

Reaction score
That is a little closer. Going to do some research on boat transport cost. Didn't think about northern boats being used less than southern boats. I'm so used to boating 365 it never crossed my mind. I don't even winterize my other boats since we use them year round.

WSimms

Reaction score
Per GW website, there is only 14" difference between the 236 (23' 7") and the 257 (24' 9") and only 400# in weight. Does anyone know if that 14" is generally spread out everywhere or does it mainly show up in one area? Looking online at pics it looks like it is all in cockpit behind the seat and ahead of the transom but I could be wrong. Bows look the same. Slight difference in the seat console.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
In addition to the length difference of 14", there could be a difference due to differences in the design of the transom of the 236 vs the 257.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I couldn't tell you about the difference between the two boats but I actually flew from Seattle out to Maryland, looked at my boat and then purchased it in 2021, rented a U-Haul truck and then drove it 3,009 miles back to Seattle. That was the third roadtrip that I've done for a boat before, each one was surprisingly back in Maryland and the first one I actually did roundtrip. Each time, I contacted UShip to get some quotes and see how much it would cost to have it shipped out to me and each time I ended up doing it myself. I've had quotes anywhere from around $3,500 on all the way up to over $8k, just depends on the company, the time of year, gas prices and so on. I honestly think that doing a short roadtrip like you mentioned of around 1,000 miles would be a lot of fun, and the first boat that I purchased I actually drove two different days at around 1,100 miles each day. I wouldn't go balls to the wall like that anymore, but with there being over 12 hours of daylight now, you could easily drive 8-10 hours in daylight and make a long weekend out of the ordeal, which could be fun if you want to see the sights and want a small adventure. I know that it's not for everyone, but I thought it was kind of fun doing the drive in hindsight, though after the third time for the third boat, I'm hoping this will be my last one. As with any potential used boat purchase, I always recommend having an accredited marine surveyor inspect the boat thoroughly, of which you can go to Google and type in "nationally accredited marine surveyors" and get the SAMS website as well as the marine surveyor website as well. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing, there are several guys on here with some great advice with regards to GW boats, and in general.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I get it and basically agree on the two foot-itis. Availability is driving part of the 236 consideration.

Good looking boat. It's a Long Long Long way from MA to Hilton Head SC. 1000+ miles too far for me to trailer a boat. Wonder what it costs to ship a used boat that far?
I am in MA just south of Boston...I bought my 222 in Spring of '20 in MD and had it trailered back to MA...got quotes from $900-1800 if that helps with the estimation.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306

Another option would be to have the boat hauled 1/2 way (say Northern Virginia) and then pick it up and tow it the remainder of the way yourself

WSimms

Reaction score
All good ideas on the transportation. I’ve started some conversations with a couple of long distance boats. Thanks.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm gonna piss you off. Go ride on a 271 Canyon. I fish with a friend on his, that hull is magic. If you want the best ride, buy that. I've been on a Marlin 300, I think the Canyon had a better ride. I've gone from Santa Cruz down to Point Sur, 53 mile run, it was supposed to be 7@11, we were looking for bluefin so I was standing on the gunnel, I'm 6'2", the gunnel was very close to 2 feet, when we were in the troughs I could not see out over the waves. I think it was more like 9@11.

My buddy put it on auto pilot, cranked the 300s up to 25 or 28 knots, didn't touch anything other than 2 stops to pee. The 271 hull never launched.

I'm super happy with my little 228 but if Grady put a walk around on the 271 hull, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I don't have the most experience here, I probably have close to the least. But what little I have, that 271 hull is amazing. If you ride in one, I'm 99% sure you will figure out how to buy one.