24 Explorer Repower

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Hello, I just recently purchased a 24' with the original Yamaha 225 SWS. I was planning on running the gas burner for a couple of years and repowering, but it appears it will require more money to make her offshore confident than it is worth putting into. I want to find out what kind of fuel burn numbers folks are getting with the newer 2 strokes versus a 4 stroke. I am currently looking at a local reputable mechanic that will completely go through a Yamaha OX66 block for $7K or jumping off the cliff for a brand new warrantied 250 HP 4 stroke.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Jordan,

What is he doing for 7K? Is he completely rebuiling the entire engine? I had a V-4 rebuilt 10 years ago for about $2400..and it was better than new...but 7K...??? I paid 8900 for a 2009 200 HPDI 4 years ago..

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Yes, it is basically the block with a new computer, fuel injection pump and everything, but I dont want to sink that kind of money into it if I am going to get 1-1.5 mpg. Is anyone getting 2 mpg out of a 225-250 horse OX66 engine on this hull?

Doctorsrh

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Explorer, with hardtop, that had a 1999 250SWS. I was quoted $7000.00 to rebuild 3 years ago. I called GW to ask about a Yamaha 250 4 stroke but they told me it weighed too much and not to use this engine. So, I got a new yamaha 300hpdi. Very happy with the engine, but, wished I would have gotten the 4 stroke, instead. My fuel burn went from 1.1-1.5 with the old carbed 250 to a solid 1.5-2.0 with the new hpdi. But, the new engine was $12,000. Money wise, I would have been better off rebuilding the 250SWS and saving the $5,000.00 difference and use in fuel. In the 3 years since the repower, I would still be using the 5K I saved in the rebuild for gas. It's nice to have a newer engine, though. Good luck with your decision.

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I called Grady as well about the 4 stroke weight and they told me a Yamaha or Suzuki under 600 pounds would be fine and the Verado's would be too much weight for them to recommend. Your HPDI should get better mileage than the OX66 series, that is what I was afraid of.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
Go for the Evinrude E-Tec; they weigh alot less than the 4S and run just as quiet and efficent if not more.

seasick

Reaction score
ReelRowdy said:
Hello, I just recently purchased a 24' with the original Yamaha 225 SWS. I was planning on running the gas burner for a couple of years and repowering, but it appears it will require more money to make her offshore confident than it is worth putting into. I want to find out what kind of fuel burn numbers folks are getting with the newer 2 strokes versus a 4 stroke. I am currently looking at a local reputable mechanic that will completely go through a Yamaha OX66 block for $7K or jumping off the cliff for a brand new warrantied 250 HP 4 stroke.
You didn't say if anything was wrong with the existing SWs. Those are very reliable motors and although they are gas guzzlers, it would take a lot of gas savings to break even on a 7k rebuild or more for new motors. I would run them till they die, they may not:)

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The SWS motors are pretty tough, you didn't mention the age but the early motors (before 1992?) didn't have stainless shift shafts and when they go it's more to fix than it's worth. Check the condition of yours before making long term plans with that motor. Unless you have a catastrophic failure, usually you hear the bearings making noise before the motor's toast. If Grady said you can go up to 600 pounds that leaves a lot of options. The old F250's are just over 600 (the new ones are under 600), Ox-66 250/225, Zuke 250's are a little under 600, ETec's, or Opti's. The Honda 250 weighs more than the Yami and seem to cost more than the others. I'd advise against the HPDI 250 or 300, too many have grenaded for my liking.

Every motor listed will give better mileage but it's not going to save enough to pay for itself. Personally I'd start saving and look for a low hour F250, you'll have to change the controls if you switch manufacturers.

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
The engine is a 95' SWS, it only has 550 hours on it, but has a lot of corrosion. I am currently working through an over heat problem with new impeller and thermostat, if that does not correct it, I am afraid the water jackets are corroded up which will be the death of her. I found a 06' F250 with 750 hrs for $8900 in Pensacola. Does that sound about right?

seasick

Reaction score
ReelRowdy said:
The engine is a 95' SWS, it only has 550 hours on it, but has a lot of corrosion. I am currently working through an over heat problem with new impeller and thermostat, if that does not correct it, I am afraid the water jackets are corroded up which will be the death of her. I found a 06' F250 with 750 hrs for $8900 in Pensacola. Does that sound about right?
Does it overheat at idle or under load? The former may be an easy fix. The later could be a lot of things.

Bill_N

Reaction score
REEL NAUTI said:
Go for the Evinrude E-Tec; they weigh alot less than the 4S and run just as quiet and efficent if not more.

They may weigh less, but just as quiet and efficient? Not in my experience...

nerd

Reaction score
I have a 92 Explorer that was repowered in 04 with an 03 250HP HPDI holdover. I don't have exact figures, but I'm sure I'm getting over 2MPG.

I don't know how much my motor weighs, but I'd guess it's less than the equivalent HP 4-stroke. The weight definitely seems like an issue, can't imagine going with a heavier motor even if it was only marginally heavier. Granted, the difference in model years could mean yours is suited to a heavier motor, but with the notched transom back there I don't think I'd want it any lower than it is right now.

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Re: 24 Explorer Suzuki repower

I am now seriously considering a Suzuki 300, I found some guys on here that are getting around 3mpg with my hull. If anyone would like to chime in on that, please do. Everyone I have talked to seems to think I will get better mileage with the 300 versus a 250. Any feedback on that would be appreciated. THanks

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If money was no object and I still owned my 92 Explorer, I would opt for 300hp.

Mine originally had a 225 carbed Yamaha, kind of sluggish with a full load in any seas above 1' (also slightly overpropped). When we repowered with the 2000 Yamaha 250EFI, the boat perfomed much better (I suspect the larger displacement, the correct prop and the 25 horsepower made the difference). On days with a full crew loaded for a canyon trip the engine struggled a little to get up to speed. I can only imagine that extra 50 horsepower and much larger displacement would make it perform even better. Never heard anyone say they wish they had less horsepower on a boat.

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a Suzuki 300, the dealer is telling me I can expect 3.5-4mpg cruising around 4K, but I will believe it when I see it. The 6 year warranty and $4,000 less price tag made the Suzuki a no brainer in my opinion, looking forward to getting her back on the water.

ReelRowdy

Reaction score
Re: Suzuki 300 prop question

Looking for any advice on props for a Suzuki 300 on a 24' hull. I am currently running an 18.5 pitch, but I am only turning 5500 rpm trimed out. I am still breaking it in, so I was just able to run wide open, my mechanic wants me to get 10 hours on it before we start swapping props. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this set up. My MPG is down from what I was expecting as well, 2-2.5 on a medium load is what I am getting cruising at 4-4400 rpm, several on this site say they get 3 or better.