24 Offshore bracket options

Merc4me

Reaction score
Hello, new to forum. I picked up a 24 offshore last year for a great price, only one problem... It had an OMC seadrive on it. I removed the seadrive and kicked it to the curb, and started cleaning the boat and filling the transom. Anyways... transom is almost ready for paint, and now Im thinking about a bracket, I have an armstrong at my shop with a platform that my boss will sell me for about $1200. But, today I was wandering around a boatyard picking up something for a friend, when I found a bracket similar to something I see on a lot of Gradys, it doesn't have a platform and is made by Springfield Drive, it is solid and the guy wanted $300 for it. I don't know much about these brackets, and don't know the rating. I am planning on putting a 25' 275 Mercury Verado on the back, and know the armstrong should be ok to hold it, it came off a boat with a 250 Yamaha fourstroke. Just trying to save a little money, and that springfield will kind of give it a factory look, but how much can it handle?

Shutterbug

Reaction score
I've a 24 offshore. Yours is a little older. Since 1987 I've had 3 Springfield brackets. Ordered the boat with single engine bracket. In no time coating peeled. In 1990 I decided I wanted twins so ordered another from Grady :bang . Again coating started peeling. Contacted Grady and they sent me another, no charge. Finally last year I got tired of band-aiding it and had a local metal fabricator make me one. The Springfields were cast aluminum. Don't know if that had something to do with the coating not staying put. First thought I had an electrolosis problem, but didn't. I'll never have another Springfield.

A friend of mine had the same set up you have with the omc all built in 1. The prior owner of it mounted a single engine bracket and later on my friend re-powered with a 225 optimax. He's since sold it but never had a problem with the transom. Reason I mention that is Grady beefed up the transom a bit with a piece of steel on the inside of the transom. My friend's did a good bit of rusting. The later Grady's, 1987,88, 89 maybe had a 2 by 4 fiberglassed inside the transom from port to starboard.

Reason I mention this is the extra weight of the bracket and especially that Mercury you plan on mounting. I'd make sure your transom is in good shape and strong enough.

Sorry I couldn't share a better experience.

gw204

Reaction score
Personally, I don't like those Springfield brackets. They have a funny shape, mounting hardware runs through a flange on the outside of the body (just looks bad to me) and there are no mounting bolts running across the top of the bracket.

Where are you located? I have a full platform Stainless Marine bracket that I'm selling...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16025

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Merc4, where are you located? I might be interested in the Springfield if you pass on it ... :uhm

Merc4me

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm just gonna spend the extra money and get the full platform. Yup Shutterbug, my Grady has that piece of steel running across the transom, so she is a little older, I think about 85. Just seen many Gradys with this bracket, but have never knew who exactly made this bracket. Gw204 I'd love to take you up on that offer, but I am located in Lake Worth Florida. I don't have a lot invested in this boat, got it for next to nothing and it's in great shape, so don't mind putting a little extra in it. Thanks for the help, I got some ideas for this boat and it's great knowing there's a few other people out there with the same rig who I can share some info with!

Merc4me

Reaction score
Ok, found me a nice Armstrong bracket, thanks for the input. I do have a Stainless Steel old Armstrong I was gonna put on, but decided against if anyone is in the same boat I am. If anybody is around Jupiter, Florida I will let it go super cheap. It's the old stainless bracket that has "wings" I was gonna use it, but decided to get a platform instead. Thanks again for the info, gonna ask a lot of questions, wanna do my boat up right!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Make sure it has the correct transom angle for your boat. They aren't all the same ... :wink:

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello, new to forum. I picked up a 24 offshore last year for a great price, only one problem... It had an OMC seadrive on it. I removed the seadrive and kicked it to the curb, and started cleaning the boat and filling the transom. Anyways... transom is almost ready for paint, and now Im thinking about a bracket, I have an armstrong at my shop with a platform that my boss will sell me for about $1200. But, today I was wandering around a boatyard picking up something for a friend, when I found a bracket similar to something I see on a lot of Gradys, it doesn't have a platform and is made by Springfield Drive, it is solid and the guy wanted $300 for it. I don't know much about these brackets, and don't know the rating. I am planning on putting a 25' 275 Mercury Verado on the back, and know the armstrong should be ok to hold it, it came off a boat with a 250 Yamaha fourstroke. Just trying to save a little money, and that springfield will kind of give it a factory look, but how much can it handle?
Get the # s off it and
Google it or call Springfield

dbiscayne

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got the Armstrong bracket, if the transom angle doesn't work out consider A&J, they're in S FL. I picked up an A&J bracket for my 24 Offshore a couple years ago, very happy with it and their service, they'll work with you on dimensions, etc.

Attachments

• BRACKET TRANSOM ANGLE (2).pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 7