24 Offshore starboard wing window

leszekgorski

Reaction score
I'm a proud owner of 86 24 Offshore GW, used to be I/O converted to outboard 250 Mercury Optimax and completely redone rear end, all couple of months ago here in the Keys. Hard top with all new electronics. i flat love the boat and it's performance. Still some work needs to be done, minor things. if anybody knows how i can get starboard wing window, i sure can appreciate if you point me the right direction.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi - I have an '82 Offshore that was converted to an outboard, as well! How did they fix-up your stern? In my case, they added a Grady-drive bracket.

As far as the window goes... it "might" be a Taylor window (but I'm not sure of that). But, it's a flat piece so a local glass shop can make it for you. Safety glass, for obvious reasons, would be preferred. You can make a template yourself, or have them do it. Heck, if you just wanted something quick and easy, get a piece of clear plastic. But make sure you get a piece that is nice and stiff - if it's too "bendy" it may blow out on you.

leszekgorski

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. trying to attach some pictures with out luck.
Got the stern and all floor around old inboard cut out and replaced with all new staff. Outside StainlessMarine bracket with full platform holding the 250. Overall 28' long now. Awesome performance.
I'd considered making the window out of Lexan but was trying to find out if something like a GW Swap Meat exists?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
leszekgorski said:
Hi, thanks for your reply. trying to attach some pictures with out luck.
Got the stern and all floor around old inboard cut out and replaced with all new staff. Outside StainlessMarine bracket with full platform holding the 250. Overall 28' long now. Awesome performance.
I'd considered making the window out of Lexan but was trying to find out if something like a GW Swap Meat exists?

What where you thinking... peperoni, sausage, maybe some good proszute? :D

I'm relatively new to this site, but I haven't seen anything about a swap meet. But maybe that's just 'cause I haven't been around long enough.

Yes - I'd love to see pictures of you're setup. I like the idea of the full platform. You're right about the performance - it really pops up onto plane VERY quickly. On the inside of mine, there's a large aluminum angle iron that spans the interior wall of the transom (horizontally). Two more angles are then attached from there and forward/down to the near the old motor mounts.

I've got to do some rot repair in the port-side cockpit floor - but shouldn't be too bad. It's all because the cut-out in the floor for the stern drive was never originally sealed well (or atleast appears to have never been sealed. In my "search", I found another boat (A stern drive) that had the same issue - the cut portion never sealed.

leszekgorski

Reaction score
Hey, it would be nice to know, maybe there is some bone yard with GW's you never know. Otherwise I'll definitely make me one.

I'd spent a lot of dough to make sure my boat feels like a tank, no reinforcement needed. When i figure out how i can post a picture you'll be surprised. Real professionals did that job. Before that i thought i know something about fiberglass, not anymore.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Cool - looking forward to those pics. I just started using a place like Photbucket. You upload them there and then copy and paste the link here. It's free. Turned out to be easier than I was anticipating. You're not anywhere near Eastern PA, are you?

Try searching for "marine salvage yards". One of them, that I know of, is called Flounder Pounder Marine.

leszekgorski

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis, i'll follow up on the marine salvage, man i wish it was that easy with computers, I guess I'm old-timer and i don't really like computers.
It was easier when my computer genius son-in-law was around, now when we moved to Big Pine Key (I'm on the East but all the way down almost to Key West) its much more complicated. I'll try to post the pictures some how.

toolguy73

Reaction score
The glass and the hardware was probably made by Water Bonnet. It was on my 83 and 87 boats. Look down in the corners of the larger pieces and you'll see a name etched in there. I had a phone number somewhere......................

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your boat looks great! I'm currently doing a partial restoration on a 1989 241 Offshore. It has a replacement I/O 350 magnum Alpha gen2 outdrive with 250 hours on it, I was told by previous owner. If it gives me any trouble I'll be converting mine to bracket outboard also.

leszekgorski

Reaction score
Thanks, i really love that conversion. I'm sure you've noticed the size of the deck after conversion, and the 2013 Optimax is really sweet. Got a place in Backcountry that we like, it takes about 1.5hr one way doing 30knots, i burn about 20 galons. For that size and weight i think it's awesome.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That came out really nice! The aluminum that was used in my boat is, structurally, very well done. But it does protrude a little further into the storage space than the way it was done in your boat (I still have, basically, a full width bench seat going all the way across the back end so they are at least hidden). But, I only have the main fuel tank so I can makeup the space there.

Was there (originally) foam in those two aft spaces (port and starboard - where the PVC wire chases were added)? If not, was any added?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh... did you redo the entire cockpit floor? It looks really good.

What did you do about the blower? Did you remount it in the fuel compartments? Where did you end up putting the exhaust/intakes (unless I missed it, I don't see the blower vents were they normally are at the stern)?

leszekgorski

Reaction score
There was no foam in Aft spaces and we didn’t add any.
Floor was completely redone, pricey but worth the money
Blowers are used only with inboard engines; we got rid of it with outboard power. The grills got totally redone/covered with fiberglass and gel coated

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'll tell you what... I had originally only planned to do a basic repair of my floor - meaning you'd still see the "cut line" from where I would remove the cockpit floor skin (although I could paint it). But after seeing how straight and nice yours looks... hmmmm.

For the tank/blower... A permanently installed tank also requires ventilation (blower). But, if there are no electrical components in that compartment (or where fumes can migrate to), I wonder if that's the "loophole" to the Coast Guard requirement? I was hoping to be able to remove and seal the blower vents (less water making it's way to the bilge while on the mooring). But it's the enclsoed fuel tank that I'm getting hung up on.

leszekgorski

Reaction score
It’s a brand new fuel tank, all done in Sea Center Marina on BPK, all real professionals. They removed the blowers from old engine compartment and never reinstall them.
Sea Center also custom tailor the tank outside to prolong the life of it. They told me I don’t need the blowers with my upgrades. I don’t think new boats with outboards have blowers installed on them?