240 offshore to 268/270 islander have some questions...

jbrinch88

Reaction score
This is going to be a long post. I've owned my 1988 240 offshore ( open transom, single motor) for 4 seasons now and have set the boat up right for how I use it. Ive got a ton of sweat equity into the boat which recently includes redoing the transom and repowering with a 300 Yamaha. Near shore fishing ( 3-15 miles out), bayfishing, and running to the beach. It's a great all around boat I feel and does everything ok.

That being said I've always liked the islanders. Similar fishing room to the offshore, better cabin layout, trailerable if needed, option of having twins which would be my choice, and probably a better riding hull.

Trying to get into one for cheap ( project ) and end up repowering with used 4 strokes or new Suzuki 200s. Will be putting my offshore up for sale eventually.

My main questions are :

Is there a significant difference in ride ( mainly a head sea ) than the offshore? I slow way down and use the tabs with my 24 especially if they're tight and still would not brag about the ride.

Which years of the islander model would be most desirable? Would like to be able to hang a pair of low hp 4 strokes on it eventually.

Would twin 200 4 strokes be ok power for this hull? With my single 300 4.2 Yamaha my 24 cruises at about 31-32 mph at 4200 burning 12 gph. Tops out at 45-48mph. If I'm anywhere near these numbers that would be great.

Is this hull model worth somebodies time in semi/fully restoring it? I've got a lot of time in making my 24 the way I wanted it and I'm finding myself wanting to go bigger still. Would like to be able to get out in 3-4s ( spread out ) without having to think about the ride out there. Not complaining about the 24, it takes it but as I'm getting older I find myself wanting a better riding hull.

Thanks, I'm sure I will have some more questions.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have never been in a 240 offshore so I cannot compare one to an Islander. However, I can provide an opinion on an Islander.

The Islander is excellent in a head sea, like most hulls it's not as good in following seas.

As far as years to buy, I'd recommend trying to get a 270 rather than a 268. They were design for four stroke OBs. I think the 270s started in 2002.

I just have a single 250 HP, 2-stroke. From what I have been told by other Islander owners, twin 150s or 200s are really nice and improve handling over a single. I'm not sure if twin, 200s will get you up to 48 mph in this boat.

The Islander is a good versatile boat for boat fishing and cruising. The lady guests do appreciate the enclosed head. The 8.5' beam allows legal trailering in any state..

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is a 268 out there with twin df200's. Owner states 51 mph wot, 2.3 mpg at 30 ish mph cruise.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is a 268 out there with twin df200's. Owner states 51 mph wot, 2.3 mpg at 30 ish mph cruise.

I have to believe that the performance of the 268 Islander would be somewhat similar to the 265 Express with similar motors. I think that the 265 is about 1-foot wider and 1-foot shorter than the Islander. There have been a few posts recently on this site where people are discussing putting twin 200s on their 265s. I think that they were getting into the mid-40s for WOT speeds.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Much like a car pushing through the air, the cross sectional area of the hull pushing through the water has a greater impact on performance than length. I have not seen a report of a 265 cracking 1.8-2.0 mpg.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a ‘95 268 with twin 200HPDIs. Decent riding boat and plenty of room. I believe they extended the planing surface all the way to the transom and changed it to the 270. The 270 rides very nicely. Never got wet in it unless it was just blowing like crazy. I got it up to 53 mph once while out running a storm. Cruise at 28 knots at 14.7gph fuel burn with a full load or a light one. Can’t imagine trying to maneuver without twins.

One issue we always had was that it would list coming off another boats wake and would take a lot of tab to right it. A guy a ran into said he used to deliver boats for Grady and told me the hardtop was too heavy for the boat which caused the listing issue.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
One issue we always had was that it would list coming off another boats wake and would take a lot of tab to right it. A guy a ran into said he used to deliver boats for Grady and told me the hardtop was too heavy for the boat which caused the listing issue.

I thought that the Islander being impacted by another boat's wake was a trait when you only had a single. Mine will list if I catch another boats wake wrong. It usually happens when I overtake another boat or get overtaken by a boat going in the same direction. So you still had the problem with dual outboards?

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I thought that the Islander being impacted by another boat's wake was a trait when you only had a single. Mine will list if I catch another boats wake wrong. It usually happens when I overtake another boat or get overtaken by a boat going in the same direction. So you still had the problem with dual outboards?
Yes, every time

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 1997 268 with twin Yamaha F150's will cruise at 28 knots. If you plan to go to 6-cylinder block then I would recommend getting a 270 hull.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Would be going with a pair of 4 cylinder inlines either Yamaha or suzuki.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the replies. Would be going with a pair of 4 cylinder inlines either Yamaha or suzuki.
I have a 1999 268 that I am repowering now with twin Yamaha 150’s.

Attachments

• A53BF02C-826D-4DF3-8786-6A79370C57D1.jpeg
    A53BF02C-826D-4DF3-8786-6A79370C57D1.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 6