246G Explorer Questions

chrisk

Reaction score
New to the forum and I have a couple of questions. I have a 1992 246G Explorer that I have just repowered with a 2016 Yamaha V Max 250. Still breaking it in so performance may change as it loosens up. Currently have the motor mounted one hole down from all the way up and running an older 17 pitch Yamaha prop. Top RPM is 5400 at 44 mph. Getting a bit of side splash from the motor and the dealer (who installed) thinks I should try moving the motor all the way up. I know the RPMs should be a bit higher but a 15 pitch will probably put me at around 5900 and may hurt economy a bit.

Has anyone else repowered with one of the newer big block (4.2 litre) Yamahas on a similar set up and if so what height did you set the motor at and what are you running for a prop?

My other question is does anyone know the length of the shift and throttle cables? I should have done these when I switched the motors but...... Now I need to do this and I can not find anything on the cables to tell me the length.

Thanks in advance!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
5400 isn't too bad so long as you are getting on plane ok. Sounds like you are in good shape. Your other option would be a lesser diameter 4 blade.

chrisk

Reaction score
Dealer says 5600 -5800 would be better for the motor. Boat runs well - gets up on plane with no issues. Wondering if raising it up a notch will help??