246G Explorer

Limit Out

Reaction score
Looking at a 1994 246G Explorer. It has a 2002 200hp 4 stroke Yamaha on it.

Is that enough power for that boat?

Looking at using it for a charter boat, packing four to five people plus the ton of fish I catch everyday.

Thanks for all the help!

Wade

izzy

Reaction score
I have the same boat...........should have a 225 two stroke. That boat/engine for it's added 4 stroke wht is underpowered

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
IMHO, I would not use that as a charter boat, my 22' Seafarer has a 200 HPDI which is lighter and is fine with 4 guys, but with more onboard and full gear, plus a larger boat and a 4stroke at that it might be a little sluggish. With full gear and guys onboard with that power you would cruise in low 20's and top out mid 30's, but it would require a lot of rpm to get it out of the hole and stay on plane, that is your biggest issue. When the seas get nasty it may not have the power to operate how you would want it to. If you really like the boat and the numbers work out well, sea trial the boat, a good seller will let you, but you would be paying launch fees and for fuel, load it with 5 guys and run it to see if you think it meets your needs or not. See how it handles, if it feels like it does not have the power to get over the hump of rough waves, or to get on plane easily. Every boaters needs are different, not all need a ton of power so it may suit you well, but I personally would opt for more HP, preferably a 250.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same boat for ten years. Boat originally came with a 1992 225 carb. Yamaha. It did the job, but as suggested in heavy seas with a full crew it labored more than I wanted it to. I found myself having to work the throttle in those condtions. Yes it will get you there and back, just not at the speed you may desire.

In 1999 I replaced the motor (roughly 3.0 liter) with a new 250 EFI (3.3 liter). The difference was night and day. I always thought it was a combination of the added horsepower and the added cubic inches. I presume the torque was about twenty percent better with the 250 over the 225. One more thing I recall; I used a 17" ss prop with the 225 and it barely hit the redline at wot, with the 250 I was underpropped and had to switch to a 19" ss to keep below the rev limiter.

Hope this makes some sense.