248 Voyager repower

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Has anyone ever ran a 248 with a single Yamaha 225, just bought boat and it will be here in 2 months, wondering if I should start looking now while waiting for boat to be shipped here or look for a pair of Suzuki 175’s max hp rated at 350,

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Since it’s rigged with single Yamaha 225, I would put a single new 4 stroke Yamaha 300 on it. Or twins if you really want redundancy. It’s more expensive and a lot more rigging. What year is it?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have ran one a few times. :) Are we talking ox66 or 4 stroke 225?
What do you want to know?

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Boat finally here, need to replace all the rotten drain and bilge lines then sea trials

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Per the GW website the max HP for your boat is 350hp. Whether you choose to do twins or a single main motor is probably your own decision, as I’d think a boat that small you could probably still get away with a single main motor. That being said, I’ve been looking at 228 Seafarers and most of those come with either a 225-250hp single main motor. I’m not sure I’d want a 225hp single main on a boat that is 700lbs more in dry weight compared to a 228.

I think you’d probably want at least a single 250hp main motor if not more like a 350hp single main motor. I’ve never been a big fan of twins because of the cost of having to pay for a second motor, added maintenance because of the second motor as well and then the added weight of a second main motor. Plus most boats with twins aren’t able to plane with a single motor and you have to buy two sets of controls, which makes the cost go up even more. I’ll bet you could probably snag up twin Suzuki 150’s though for less than a Yamaha 250. I think you could probably even get a Suzuki 350 for less than a Yamaha 250. Just depends on whether you want twins or not and what your budget is.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Unless you have the auxillary tank (keep it full) and a hard top, I would not put twin 4 strokes on that hull unless they are Merc 115's. That hull likes to ride very bow high with a single. Putting twin 150's or bigger is a lot of weight that will only make it worse.
Before you pooh-pooh the 115's, don't get hung up on the hp; look at the torque. 4.0 liters of combined Mercury displacement will make that hull move nicely and only put you at + 170 lbs over a 2 stroke 250.
Before we got our Islander I thought twin f150's wouldn't be enough at 300 hp, but I was way wrong. A combined 5.4 liters of 4 stroke moves this hull nicely and very efficiently. The 248 should do the same.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
That boat is very similar to my explorer. I had a single 225 2-smoke and moved a a 300. Top speed is about the same as these mini vans of the sea aren't built for speed. However, the hole shot is another story! The 225 in any weather was a PIA. In a following sea it just didn't have the power to get over the next wave without letting it eat.