248 Voyager Tank Replacement

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Replacing both the 56 and 105 gallon tanks on my 96 248 Voyager. The 56 is installed with new hoses and hardware- no issues.
The 105 looks to be quite a bit more involved to swap out. The tank runs about 10” under the main deck and it looks like cutting the bulkhead may be the only option for removal?
Anyone done this? Any info appreciated- Thanks!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cutting the bulkhead is likely your only option.

I'm facing a similar situation with my 1997 268 Islander. I talked to an experienced fiberglass shop near me and they confirmed that my bulkhead had to be cut out to get the tank out. With Aux tank removed there is not enough room to get the main tank out. My tank is 60" under the steps and deck! They may have to take a second bulkhead out. Fiberglass repairs, if done right, can be 100%. They were confident that the bulkhead repair would be good as new.

This photo isn't my boat but it is a 268 Islander. Looking from port side aft. The aft tank is fully exposed and "easy" to remove. The forward tank is only exposed about 10" and extends forward under steps and deck about 60".

268 Adt tank 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks good! Apparently you can get your tank out of the forward deck.

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Needed a shoe horn and some silicone spray. Not sure why Grady designed it that way.

mdscole

Reaction score
I have a 98…same boat. Where did you get the tanks?

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
AGM Tanks in Florida. Nice fab work at a good price. I sent the original blueprints from Grady White customer service and Matt from AGM did a great job.

trackah

Reaction score
any pis of the 56 gal au tank install? i don't hae that on my 2002 Voyager but when the time come to replace the main tank will consider adding. any and all pics of you project greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
The 56 was easy to replace. I think the harder part for you would be adding the fill and vent hoses.

trackah

Reaction score
I expect your right bout that. Did you replace your fuel hoses when you did the tanks?

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
New fuel hoses and clamps. Should be good for another 20 plus years.
This ethanol fuel is real garbage. Killing our motors and fuel systems. I cut open the old fuel lines and they had brown mush on the inside; even running a 2 micron fuel water separator, my filters would clog in short order along with water getting into the fuel system.

trackah

Reaction score
i agree with you 100%. sounds as though you did the job right. Best of luck this season.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
The 56 was easy to replace. I think the harder part for you would be adding the fill and vent hoses.

My 97 Voyager has the filler and vent hoses already rigged and I believe the fuel line running aft is also pre-installed.

Been 10years since I looked inside the Aux tank compartment so I am not 100% certain about aft fuel line.