248 Voyager Value

CBH IV

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here, I have been lurking for awhile researching. I have always loved the Grady walkaround models and recently went to look at a 2000 248 Voyager with an OX66 225hp. I am trying to get a good feel for the actual sale value of this boat.

Structurally it seemed sound. I pushed and pulled on the motor and no transom flex, sealant around the transom looks good. I knocked around with a screwdriver and the transom all sounds the same and solid. Deck panels are in good shape and rock solid. All systems work (mostly, some lights don't work) and the engine compression test is good. Obviously wouldn't be able to do a seatrial to confirm until a price is agreed upon and deposit placed.

The bad:
This boat has definitely not lived an easy life. There is no doubt it has been stored outside without cover and in the salt water for extended periods of time. Bottom painted and signs of barnicles and marine growth is very evident. The trim motor is fairly rusted on the outboard. Gelcoat is oxidized and faded. Multiple gouges in the hull (all above the water line, but some are down to fiberglass mat). The engine cowling finish is completely gone with matting showing in areas. Many hatches/doors have chips in the edges. The enclosure is on its last leg, usable barely. The hardtop is delaminating pretty badly. I am not sure of the layup of this top, but I would imagine the top is completely toast. There are multiple areas on the top that the paint/gelcoat has or is coming off and the skin is cracked and raised. This has to be water logged or moist. The trailer also needs a lot of work. New tires and brakes at a minimum just to get it home.

I do like the boat overall. The layout is great for me and my young family. I am concerned it is going to be too large to tow regularly with my 1500 Ram 5.7, but I don't plan to tow it often. Maybe 2-3 times a year. I also thought it was an unusual transom design with semi built in bracket. Are there any quirks about this (or anything else on this model for that matter) that I should be aware of? I also noticed what looked like through hull fittings facing downwards in the pocket where the trim tabs are. Maybe 1" - 1.5" dia, anyone know what those are? I would be surprised if that is where the scuppers are supposed to drain.

Anyways, sorry for the long, rambling post. Just trying to gather more info on this specific model and the Great Grady Crew's opinions on the value of the boat (as a buyer). Thanks for any info and opinions you all can offer.

Alright, lets here it!!

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The motor is virtually worthless. But, it may run a few more years. I say it's worthless because if you need to do any work on it you will likely break bolts.

Pita. And frustrating/expensive. Same for the trailer. Figure 1-1.5k to get it roadworthy unless it needs axles.

As far as the boat itself, I would budget 3-5k to get it usable. It's tough to give a good estimate without seeing it but based on a couple other projects I've tackled that's a good starting point.

I would look at NADA book value online, subtract 5k, and start there. Assuming it's priced above that. If the guy is reasonable and you want a project and your budget can handle a new or new to you motor, go for it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You would be surprised how much a boat can get beat up in the elements over the winter if not covered.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The good thing about the 2000 model year is that it uses XL greenboard for structural components, so stringers and transom wont rot, but be aware of water saturation and delamination from freezing. Looks like the hardtop already has this issue.
Ox66 are known to live forever if maintained, but it looks like this one is certainly suspect. Parts can be very expensive.
Junk the trailer and buy new if you plan to travel. It isn't worth the headache otherwise.
If your Ram has an 8 speed and 3.92 gears, it will tow well. 8 speed and 3.55's, not so good but will get the job done. Not an 8 speed = not good.
The short hull bottom reduces flotation and makes the boat more sensitive to weight distribution impacting the ride. This hull loves weight towards the bow for best performance.
As for the thru hulls, they are air vents that prevent drag/suction under that area as the boat gets up on plane.
As for value based on your description: $10-$15k tops. There are a lot of these out there in great shape at great prices if they have 2 stroke(s). I wouldn't get to attached to this one.

Last edited:

CBH IV

Reaction score
Family affair,

How is your performance with the OX66? What fuel burn numbers do you get?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The ox66 gets a bad rap for being a fuel and oil hog, but when running correctly, mine has not been. I dont have a hard top and run e10 87 octane:
- light load - 2 people half tank of fuel 1-2' chop 2.4-2.6 mpg at 30 mph.
- full tank 3-4 people 1-2' chop 2.1-2.3 at 28-30 mph.
- 1000-1200 rpm 3.0 mpg.
- the 3.1 ox66 chugs fuel when at low planing speed or getting onto plane. If you run at these conditions in rough water, expect 1.2 mpg
The 225 is the same displacement as the 250. Power wise these engines will mop the floor with most 225 4-strokes. Full fuel with 6 people on board towing a tube is the only time the boat doesn't jump onto plane.
Top speed is 38-44 (gps verified) depending on load. No bottom paint.

CBH IV

Reaction score
How do those air vents work? It seems to me they would be underwater when at rest. Is there a check valve that keeps them from allowing water in? If I remember correctly when I pulled out the port side storage bin on the transom I saw this vent without anything connected to it internally.
How do you like your Voyager overall? If money was no concern then I feel like I would jump to the newer 258 without the step transom. Are there quirks about the 248 design that make you wish you had jumped to the 258?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The vent should have a hose that goes to another vent in the engine splash well.
I haven't ridden in a 258, so I can't comment if the 258 rides better. I like the 258 aft layout and boarding ladder better. Otherwise it is the same boat on the top side.
We've been happy with the Voyager. We've owned it for 9 years and have put about 500 hours on it. My biggest issue has been its sensitivity to weight. If 2 adults sit in the back, a lot of trim and tab are needed to get the bow down to cut chop. I added 100 lbs of ballast to the bow and it helped a lot. The good thing is a lot of trim and tab dont hurt fuel economy too much. I would think the full running surface of a 258 would help, but I haven't experienced it.
Considering clean and well maintained 248's can be had for $18-30k, and most 258's start at $35k+ , I wouldn't pass up a nice 248.
All that said, I'm the kind of guy who can find design issues with products 99% of the world thinks are the greatest gifts to the earth. For most, nothing on a 248 is a deal breaker compared to a 258.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OX66s, when properly maintained, will run forever. Sure, they are thirstier and noisier, but they are solid and parts are still readily available.

seasick

Reaction score
You would be surprised how much a boat can get beat up in the elements over the winter if not covered.
And how beat up a boat can get in the summer when left shrink wrapped:)

seasick

Reaction score
Would this be your first boat? I ask because if it is, you may be looking at it with rose colored glasses:)
Do you plan on using it any time soon or working on it?
Based on your description, I would walk away and the reason is that a lot of what you described is caused by abuse and neglect. If the hull was abused and neglected so was the motor and systems. I say that with 99% confidence.
If you see exposed glass fibers on the hull, there is a pretty good chance that moisture got wicked in. If the boat has been on dry land for a longish time, a moisture test won't show a wet hull.

CBH IV

Reaction score
This would be the first boat that I owned, but I did build a 38' Custom Sportfish with my dad and ran that for years. I am plenty comfortable around boats and am not afraid of work. I definitely would not be expecting to jump in this particular boat and just go fishing. All that said and based off of the feedback I am hearing I feel like this boat is priced way too high. I do like this model, but I think I am going to pass and wait for a good 228 or 248 to come up.

Reactions: Paul_A

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds like a smart move. Good luck with the search