25 Grady

Rick Vanasse

Reaction score
I just got a 1979 25 ft Grady as a gift ..... We took the I/O out and put a bracket on it. We have a chance to pick up a new 250 hp 2 stroke for the boat. Would that motor be big enough to power this boat. Mabe with a 4 blade prop ?

richie rich

Reaction score
the 25's use to come with twin 150's...you can get away with 250 but it just may take a bit longer to get on plane...she'll probably run around 25-30 mph tops.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Rick: I suspect that a 250 would be not quite enough. I'm thinking that with your 9'6" beam (I'm presuming that is correct) that your boat is a bit longer and wider than a current 232, which also has the engine(s) out on the bracket. And I would consider a single 250 to be marginal on a 232.

If you're set on a single engine, maybe a Suzuki 300, which weighs about the same as a Yammie F250, would be a better fit. Twins would be a better power choice if the bracket can support the weight.

Rob

Rick Vanasse

Reaction score
JeffN said:
250 seems a little lite to me. What HP I/O did you take out?
the motor we took out was a 260 hp i/o so we thought a 250 yamaha would due just fine. we felt the difrence in the weight would help and the profprmance of the ouyboard would be better. this boat is a work in progress and we are going to have some fun with it.

JeffN

Reaction score
Back in the mid 90s I called Grady when I was trying to figure out what my repower options would be. I think after I found out that Merc. was ceasing production on the 470s, I had a twin installation on my 25. Anyway we were talking and he mentioned that they put single 350s in the 25s. I commented on the posibility of considering a single 350 I/O. He replied that the 350s in his words were kind of doggy and if I were going single I should put in the 454 (current production at that time). I recently repowered and went with the 496 - absolutly love it. I take your point about the weight advantage of the outboard but am not sure if it will be enough. In addition there are a couple of you going to brackets on these boats and I am curious about the handling. So one of you needs to finish your project and let me know how it works! I looked at the bracket and outboard but at the time there were a couple of those conversions on the net and the same two boats came up for sale a few times each. I don't know why though. Made me a little nervous, I did not want to spend all that money and then be looking to sell the boat because of handling issues.