25' Trophy pro - help replace livewell drain?

krabill

Reaction score
1991 Grady Trophy pro The drain for the livewell in the floor between the seats has a broken fitting below it and the hose is busted off apparently. I found this after I started taking water on from the thru hull on the starboard side of the boat. Apparently the plumbing goes from the livewell -> starboard to the fish/icebox where it uses a T to drain the fish box then that connects to the starboard thru hull. If it Put a hose in the livewell it drains to the bilge now. If I put it in the ice box it goes out to the thru hull, but if I put it in the thru hull it does goes past the icebox and starts going into the bilge so it must be that connection at the base of the livewell.

How in the world can I get to the fitting at the bottom of this livewell without cutting everything open?? Pic of livewell. Has anyone ever changed this hose or fitting?

IMG_20190705_201403.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you take those tackle boxes (the port side) out that are under the seats, that might give you some access. I'm sure it will be awkward (most things on boats are!), but it might just work. You might as well do the fish box fitting and the entire hose - possibly the thru-hull, too, while you're in there.

krabill

Reaction score
Thanks, I can get to the fish box fitting from another hatch that was put in just in front of it. I would like to replace everything this winter. I dont see any way my arm can get around below the livewell from reaching through the tackle box hole. Maybe I need to find a friend with LONG arms.

Rangoonb

Reaction score
I can tell you how I did it.... not sure it's the propoer way but it worked and not as difficult as it sounds. I cut out the old drain with a 6" hole saw. Put a tab of fiberglass over the drain hole to center the pilot bit. Once it was cut I lifted out the drain. I then feathered down the edges of the well out about 2" all around the hole with an orbital sander. I glued 4 small wood tabs to the underside to hole to hold the drain in place when I set it back in. I replace the drain with a metal short thru the hull and an elbow. I then feathered the hole blank with the sander. On my boat that drain was attached to the drain it box behind and beside it. I had to do the same thing in that box as the drain is attached with a "T" fitting. I replaced the livewell piece with the hose a foot longer than needed and glassed it in. The next day with the glass hard and drain firmly in place I took the second drain and put a new piece of hose extra long for the overboard drain and the it was a bit of a struggle to to get the livewell drain hose cut to the proper length and attached to the new "T". I has to cut a small slot on the side of the hole to get the T and both hoses back in place. This hole was feather sanded and tabs glued on the underside live the first one to hold things in place for reglassing. Once the second drain was firmly inplace I cut the drain hose to length and hooked it to the thru the hull. I then put 4 or 5 layers of fiberglass over the cut areas. I'm a bit anal so I sanded things smoth and sprayed gel coat to make things very hard to see but that isn't necessary as the drains are usuall out of view. There is foam on the underside of the boxes but not hard to get off as needed.
It sounds complicated but don't think it took more than 6 or 7 hours total time. I hope this is helpful

Reactions: krabill

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If nothing else, taking out the port side tackle box will likely be able to tell you which side of the livewell (in front or behind) might have a bulkhead near it - so that you can cut an access hole on the other side and just fill the hole with a deck plate. Which, by the way, is really easy and fast job. In the grey, step-down area would be ideal.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Where exactly is the livewell in the pic? Is it in the middle under that hatch? On my 25 Sailfish, it is on the Port side. I was able to pull out the round deck hatch in the cockpit area just offset but somewhat in front of the livewell and access it from there. Also, can you access from the vberth under the helm area? I had removed the bulkhead panels in that area and could access the thru hulls and hoses as well. The livewell drain was too far to reach from there, but it helped to pull hoses and have 2 guys working from each end.

krabill

Reaction score
The livewell is the hatch in the picture in the center on the floor between the two seats. I think its a bit different layout than the sailfish of the same generation. You are right about a bulkhead in the vberth, without cutting that out I cannot get to anything except the foward bilge and the thru hull for the livewell/washdown. IU can get to the washdown pump from the port side tackle station when its removed.

Interesting idea RangoonB sounds like you really did it the right way, I will think about that plan, never thought to cut it right out at the drain. Still out of the country for a bit, hope to start the project in December. For now im still running with a plug in the outside thru hull and that has worked all summer, but I keep an eye on it!