250 4-stroke on 90 grady-too much weight?

anony

Reaction score
Came across a 1990 grady 22' seafarer with a late 2000's 4-stroke 250 hp for sale.

Most of the boats that I have come across generally have been repowered with 225 2-strokes. Is a 250 hp 4-stroke too much power/weight for this boat.

Brad1

Reaction score
richie rich said:
maybe...maybe not,,,if the scuppers are above water, you should be all set

You'll likely find that the thru hull fittings for the cockpit drains (ie. scuppers) will be underwater. Unless they changed something in the last couple years (like raising the cockpit sole), that is the case even with the newer SeaFarers with 4 strokes. My '03 226 was that way.

On the sea trial, stand at the stern of the boat and see if water backs up on to the deck through the floor drains. Then hose down the deck with the washdown make sure the water drains properly. On my boat, even though the scuppers were submerged, I did not have a problem with water backing up onto the deck and the drains worked very well. Even then, there is a concern that if the plumbing between the floor drain and the scupper should fail, your boat would take on water. The hose that makes up that plumbing on my boat was very tough (reinforced heater hose) and it was double clamped. I always thought that the weak link was the plastic / nylon floor drain (if it were to crack under the deck).

My '03 SeaFarer performed very well with the 4 stroke motor.

Make sure that during your sea trial that the fuel tank is full and you have enough passengers on board to duplicate the weight that the boat will be expected to carry when your using it.

lgusto

Reaction score
As with many of the technical questions on this forum, it's a good idea to check in with Grady. Be careful of some of the less obvious engineering-related issues.

My 2005 232S came with a factory installed 250. During my pre-purchase inspection I found a small crack inside the transom near the engine pod mounting bolts. Grady had the dealer install thick metal reinforcement brackets.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just looked at a new 226 yesterday and they have made changes to accommodate the heavier 4-stroke engines.

The cockpit sole is higher than in the older models. They also eliminated the axillary fuel tank and positioned the main fuel tank forward in order to move the boat's center of gravity forward.

You should check with Grady as to when they made these changes and if a 4-stroke would be OK for your hull.

Myself and others would appreciate if you would post their answer on this forum. There are lots of people thinking about re-powering as their 2-strokes are getting older.

Brad1

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
I just looked at a new 226 yesterday and they have made changes to accommodate the heavier 4-stroke engines.

The cockpit sole is higher than in the older models. They also eliminated the axillary fuel tank and positioned the main fuel tank forward in order to move the boat's center of gravity forward.

You should check with Grady as to when they made these changes and if a 4-stroke would be OK for your hull.

Myself and others would appreciate if you would post their answer on this forum. There are lots of people thinking about re-powering as their 2-strokes are getting older.

Ugh, don't like the idea that they raised the cockpit sole. That would mean less interior freeboard, right?

On the other hand, moving the main tank forward. Now that's the fix they needed to make. What year did they do that? Mine was a 2003 and it still had the more rearward main tank and provision for the optional aux. tank.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The boat that I looked at was a new 2008 year model 226. It did have less interior free board than older models. The bolsters were still well above my knees, however.

The dealer said that the changes were made "around 2004" for whatever that might be worth.

anony

Reaction score
I spoke with Grady white's customer relations department and they were great. they said that the weight difference would only be about 100 pounds and that they wouldn't be worried about it as long as the transom is solid. The scupper issue didn't come up.
Thanks to all those that responded. I don't think this one is gong to work out because the owner is asking an unreasonable amount of money and doesn't seem very negotiable.

isurus22

Reaction score
I repowered my 1987 Seafarer 228 with a Honda 225 and love it. Those years you could get a 228 with twin 140s which is heavier than a single big four stroke. The max hp rating is 280. If I could do it again I would put a 300 fourstroke on there (not a V8 obviously). Also the yamaha 250 weights the same as the 225, 200 etc. They are the same engine, just tuned differently.