250 yamaha or suzuki ?

muqdam

Reaction score
hello, i have new boat and i feel confuse to chose yamaha or suzuki engine , can any body help ?
thank's

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Which controlls do you have now? Staying the same will save some $, both are decent engines. The better dealer and avaliability might be the deciding factor.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yami / Suzuki Question

Generally, Yamaha parts and technicians are more available than Suzuki. Also, if you do your own maintenance, Yamaha allows you to do alot without having a degree in engineering from MIT. Although it applies to me, I would bet that most of the guys on this forum will swear by Yamaha reliability and longevity.

wlewis

Reaction score
The Evinrude E Tec 250 is worth a look. Much lighter, quicker out of the hole, no maintance for three years, no oil changes ever, very efficient, and quiet. Only downside is you must add oil, but it uses so little, I only fill my oil tank about once a year.

GT

Reaction score
I've had both (and Mercury). They both rank at the top of my list - strong and reliable. Suzuki did better with fuel and oil; it had a gravity fed oil tank mounted on top of engine (inside cowling) which made checking/filling super easy and freed up the hatch which held the former oil tank (big plus).
Finding a good Suzuki mechanic want so easy. There were 2 in the area but neither on the water and always to busy to really care about me. But Yamaha mechanics are everywhere, on the water and off, dramatically increasing my chances of finding one who I can comfortably do business with.

The Yamaha is easier for me to decipher when I pull the cover off, but I only do light work by myself (tune up, winterize, etc).
Suzuki usually runs fantastic 6 or 7 year extended warranties, which I had the chance to use once, and they paid all the bills on a $800 fix.

As of today I lean toward the Yamaha, but its a close decision

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
muqdam said:
hello, i have new boat and i feel confuse to chose yamaha or suzuki engine , can any body help ?
thank's

what ever dealer has CERTIFIED TECHS!
look for the plaques on the wall

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
827 hours on my F250 and it has been perfect. Never owned a Suzuki, but I expect they are also very good. But Yamaha has never given me a reason to try anyone else.

Rob

Bread

Reaction score
I am going thru the same process. See my 1990 204C Overnighter post.

In my Marina (200+ boats) 90% of engines are Yahamas and all models seem reliable and the local dealer is very good. But since Yamaha does not have a 4 stoke 175 HP, I am looking at the Suzuki DF175. Suzuki has some 6yr warranties as well.