250HP Yamaha HPDI thoughts

fastal

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience, thoughts, opinioins on the Yamaha 250HP HPDI motor? I am looking at a boat that has a 2004 model of this motor. I don't remember from whom or from where but I thought I remember someone telling me a few years back that this was not one of the better motors that Yamaha had built. Any information good or bad is greatly appreciated.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here's a very complete thread if you read the entire thing. It is my impression that by the time Yamaha introduced the 250s they had this issue fixed. But it is good to be aware of these issues with the 225 for any engine made by Yamaha around this time, 2000-2005 IMO.

Read the whole thing to get the big picture. If you stop halfway you run the risk of having the wrong "take home message".

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... hread.html

Good luck

suzukidave

Reaction score
that hull truth thread is about the 4 stroke. he is talking about the 2 stroke hpdi.

i have no experience with the 250 hpdi but the word on the street is that the powerhead tends to go if there is anything wrong with the fuel/oil setup.

gulfcoastangler

Reaction score
It's a loaded question. If you asked this question on a forum with a lot of readers you would wear yourself out. Being a 2004 it is pot luck you may get a good one or you may not. If it is the boat you want and the price works go for it you can always find parts that hopefully you will not need. I can tell you I bought a brand new saltwater series ox 225 and took perfect care of it and it kicked my butt the biggest hunk of junk but there are others that loved them??? Go figure. Is there a reason you do not want to find one with a four stroke ?