251 Coastal Explorer

SCSeawolf

Reaction score
In SW FL for 2 years. Been boating with friends and fishing guides on everything from a beautiful 32 ft whaler to a utilitarian 22 ft pathfinder. Given where we are, I am leaning toward a hybrid. I will mostly be boating in the Naples area, down though the 10,000 islands and up through Captiva, etc. I will fish (don't tell my fishing guide) and my guess is mostly back water and some offshore during good weather. A center console seems a good fit for sandbars, sunset cruises and fishing. I would opt for an offshore CC, but I will be in the back water and everything is so shallow in Naples area, so less draft is better.

The 251 Coastal Explorer seems like the SUV of boats. For whatever reason, there are very few videos or forums of owners experiences. Few reviews, but for a boat that launched in 2014, really not much chatter or on-line information. So, I'm looking to hear from owners and others the good bad and the ugly of the 251 Coastal Explorer. It seems like a nice compromise for a family/fishing boat. I was looking for a 30-32 ft Freedom, but the more I think about the reality of my boating, the 251 checks a bunch of boxes and keeps me under the $200K number, and hopefully closer to $100K if I can find a nicer used one.

So...251 Coastal Explorer owners, what has been your experience? Others?

Thanks.

SCSeawolf

Reaction score
Wow...Crickets. Anybody out there with a 251 CE?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
16 degree V is great for backwater and lakes. Its not an SUV. redfish and sandbar drinking yes.

Not going to be pleasant if you get caught offshore in a chop or swell. bang bang.

7" less freeboard to go along with the shallower draft.

Less range for offshore. Less weight. What constitutes "Offshore" in your mind? 10, 20, 50, 100 miles?
How far for Mahi? Red Snapper? Muttons? I've never fished West Coast FL so idk.
Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 7.49.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 7.49.35 PM.png

Last edited:

SCSeawolf

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm guessing you spend more time off-shore. And that is a bit of my dilemma. Is there a traditional CC, with more freeboard and draft, with the creature comforts to satisfy the sand bar crowd, and yet still function pretty well in the bays. Not looking for a bass boat, but don't want to be precluded from fishing in the bays. Seems like the 251 is a decent compromise, but then again, as you point out, you definitely don't want to be fighting bad weather and not have enough boat around you. I don't expect to do a lot offshore, but even runs from Naples to Marco or Sanibel can get bumpy.

Looking for folks that have a 251. What do you like? What do you not likes? What would you do differently?

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not to steer you away from GW, but is the Everglades 253 on your list? 2" more draft than the Grady 251 but an extra ~2000lbs might help with the offshore part of your use case a bit. They're said to be wet and probably a bit behind GW in fit and finish FWIW.

I think others have asked the same question on here and also not gotten much as far as real world experience in response, not entirely sure why either.

Texdrmwvr

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Just read this thread. I have one and love it. I’m traveling with a group for work/entertainment and tied up so I’ll post later in the week with my thoughts including pros and cons.

Reactions: NealTrombley

NealTrombley

Reaction score
Website
www.gulfatl.net
Model
Explorer
Just Purchased one... cant wait, There is not if any good Social media content on this model.. guess that up to us lol

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just Purchased one... cant wait, There is not if any good Social media content on this model.. guess that up to us lol
You could try getting info from the Facebook Grady White Boat Owners Group. I check it out frequently. Not really a place to go to solve a problem. More social than technical.

Reactions: NealTrombley