252G with Full Swim Platform

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Guys, curios if your full swim platform is fully caulked all around, including across the top of the bracked in the motor well? When I got mine, it was sealed and I have continued to reseal when working on the platform, etc. However, I wonder if it should not be caulked and allow the water to drain out if it gets in.

Seems the caulk over time will break the seal or crack a tiny bit, let in some water and never lets it dry out. I wonder what the factory did when new?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Dennis, seems my post of pics got lost in the transfer over to the new site format. Reposting.
The configuration of this is basically just the Springfield Aluminum bracket and Grady made a full platform that mounts over the top. I had recored the platform a few years back and gelcoated, since have repainted this past fall with Interlux Perfection.
All parts of platform are sealed as well as the bracket per my other posts on how I resealed and vented the bracket. (No water now, not even a drop in the bracket since I resealed).

Pics of overall side view of platform and then the caulk area that I think might not be needed.
Maybe some others with this platform can advise if they have caulk sealing the splashwell area.

Attachments

• Swim Platform Caulk in Splashwell area.jpg
    Swim Platform Caulk in Splashwell area.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Swim Platform after repaint.jpg
    Swim Platform after repaint.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 40

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK. In looking at the pics, it would seem to make sense that the reason it is caulked (based on you saying there is no exposed core) is simply for aesthetics. I would imagine that any water that got pushed up between the two pieces would also drain back out the same way it went in? However, how tight is the fit between the vertical edge of the platform and the motor bracket? If that is really tight, then you likely won't get any worthwhile drainage, anyways. AND, it's possible that the drainage you do get will be dirty water (from dirt that collects between the two pieces) and end up looking like running mascara into the well. But that's just some thoughts off the top of my head.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for input Dennis. Yeah, the top of the bracket at the transom is sealed. That is good to keep dirt out from getting wedged and that line of caulk always stays in great shape as there is no flexing in that area.
On the sides, under the platform, it has filler boards out of starboard and that also is sealed up. Usually that maintains well also. Just in the well area, mostly at the edges of the bracket is where the flexing from climbing in/out eventually break the caulk and lets water in, then it has a hard time coming out. I am thinking I will just remove it and see how it goes in that area.

BobP, and others out there with the platform, is your platform fully caulked in?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi Robert. The spot I was referring to (didn't explain it well) is actually that section just in front of your round access plates. If the two pieces at that 4"-ish vertical section are very tight to each other, then there likely won't be any drainage, anyways - other than "weeping". But again, the only "issue", if any, that I can imagine is going to be cosmetic... mascara runs.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Dennis, we are talking same area. Maybe I was over explaning it to ensure full picture.
Yeah, there is a slight gap, so some water under pressure in the seas would wash up under and also does so over top of platform and then should drain back out. Even if get mascara there, I get that anyhow after about a week sitting out uncovered.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi RobertH, with my same boat and motors!

And it’s been some time -

To answer you, the boat was equipped with the oem Springfield drive, no platform. The platform was optional. Check with Brian he had a ‘93 with the same setup. The stern changed entirely in ‘94.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, do you have the 3rd hatch opening? I don’t see it in photos. Or is it under the platform?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Guys, curios if your full swim platform is fully caulked all around, including across the top of the bracked in the motor well? When I got mine, it was sealed and I have continued to reseal when working on the platform, etc. However, I wonder if it should not be caulked and allow the water to drain out if it gets in.

Seems the caulk over time will break the seal or crack a tiny bit, let in some water and never lets it dry out. I wonder what the factory did when new?

I just removed my platform and bracket. The platform was mounted with lag bolts and 5200 over the back plate. No 5200 between the platform and the motor bracket.