255 Freedom Transducer Mounting

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I just purchased a 255 Freedom and plan to install a Garmin 7610xsv w/ DownVu/SideVu transducer (GT50M-TH). Does anyone know if I can have the transducer installed on or very close to the center line of the boat? If not, I will need to purchase the - THP which is a thru-hull pair which will allow me to enable side scanning properly (need 5 degrees or less of deadrise for side sonar clearance).

Thanks for your help.

Ozz043

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Humminbird 899 cxi, I think the thru hull transducer is the way to go, my marlin has little flat sections to mount transducers...I just have to wait till she's on hard stand again 8)

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know of several dual outboard boats that have successfully mounted large through hull transducers right on the centerline a few feet forward of the transom. The installations all seem to work very well.

The reason that they advise against centerline installations is the transducer can cause ventilation problems on single engine boats. On a dual engine installations, the only real issue is damaging the transducer if you bottom out the boat.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Doc Stressor said:
I know of several dual outboard boats that have successfully mounted large through hull transducers right on the centerline a few feet forward of the transom. The installations all seem to work very well.

The reason that they advise against centerline installations is the transducer can cause ventilation problems on single engine boats. On a dual engine installations, the only real issue is damaging the transducer if you bottom out the boat.

Since I have a single engine I imagine its best for me not to mount on the centerline. Appreciate the heads up.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Centerline... However, it depends on the style of transducer. With some transducers the only thing you see sticking below the hull is a 3", flat, disc that protrudes about 1/8" from the hull. However, you'd need a flat spot built-into the hull for that. Otherwise, this style can be mounted just off center of the keel.

EDIT: I just looked at the shape of that transducer you are talking about. I hear what you guys are saying about turbulence, but you know, that's pretty smooth looking - maybe if it was mounted far enough forward - say 4' - it would be OK? I'd at least give Garmin a call and see what their thoughts are.

By the way, can you get it in bronze, instead of SS? Bronze is better than SS.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
capeman said:
I just purchased a 255 Freedom and plan to install a Garmin 7610xsv w/ DownVu/SideVu transducer (GT50M-TH). Does anyone know if I can have the transducer installed on or very close to the center line of the boat? If not, I will need to purchase the - THP which is a thru-hull pair which will allow me to enable side scanning properly (need 5 degrees or less of deadrise for side sonar clearance).

Thanks for your help.

I have a 7608 coming. From what I understand, if going the thru hull route you will need 2 , as stated , to enable side scan.(unless you have less than 5 degree deadrise). I am also getting the GT 50, (but transom mounted ). I will see how it goes and if not happy with the sounder action will eventually add a b175,m or b75 m thru hull to do the sounder operation and leave the GT 50 TM to do the down/sidescan. The GT 50 actually has the bm 175 embedded so it maybe all I need. I do prefer thru hull but I can always go there if I need to.