255 Freedom vs Pursuit DC 265

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I looked over both boats at the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show on Halloween and the Pursuit was 11" longer, 3" wider, but about the same price. I'm a Grady guy but the Pursuit was really sharp. I liked the power coated hardtop frame, fiberglass windshield frame and the extensive fold up seating.

The 255 offered the built-in electric grill, but both my wife and daughter preferred the Pursuit. Has anyone else compared the two? :hmm

Frank

Reaction score
The Pursuit also has in-deck rod storage, a transom fishbox, and a little bit more deadrise.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I owned a Pursuit 2150 DC for 13 years and then purchased a GW 275 three years ago so I have a pretty good understanding of both manufacturers and the DC concept. I was very interested in seeing both of these 25-26’ boats when they came out and have looked very closely at both. Frankly, I was not overly impressed with ether boat for the $$. It is important that you remember my qualifying statement FOR THE DOLLARS.

The fit and finish of both boats is very good and is as you would expect from both manufacturers. Pursuit has the advantage in finish in that they finish the interior surfaces to a much higher standard than GW does and utilizes the bilge space well. The finish quality behind the hatches and below the deck is important when you are in those areas trying to pass a cable or change a battery cable or winterizing water systems.

My disappointment with both boats is in the layout, the Pursuit has no usable rod storage above deck and the in gunwale storage is a joke. The seating systems particularly the rear jump seat is a safety hazard and difficult to operate. Take a good look at the hinge assemble of the rear jump seat when down and think about getting pushed into it in rough seas. My impression is that Pursuit could have made better use out of the port seating for storage. From a personal point of view I found the Pursuit lines around the helm to be choppy but that is me. It would have been nice if Pursuit would have made a rod pass through in the head like the 275 has. The below deck rod storage as configured the way I saw it was not great. I certainly would not put my tuna or fly rods in there. The bow layout for the Pursuit is also tight for a 26' boat. I do like the anchor system, non skid and pop up cleats on the Pursuit.

As for the Grady, the best thing I can say is that for the money I do not see it. To me the 255 is not a big upgrade over the 225 other than the transom door. I found general storage to be lacking, rod and tackle storage are both lacking. The boat does not have pop up cleats, why, on a boat this size the recessed cleats are important. The port sleeper seat reminded me of the seat in my 1965 Wellcraft, why this design when they have the seating system used as an option in the 275.

I understand what GW was trying to do with this boat but for the money it just falls short for the broad market. If it came in below $100 K it would make more sense but at $110K for about $10 -15 K more I would take the 275 over the 255 all day long and the same applies to the Pursuit.

Frank

Reaction score
Tashmoo,

Nice review!

BTW, the 255 does offer the option of twins as compared to the 225, although I suspect most users won't really the dual engines.

I agree with your comments that the pricing is too much for what is there for both boats when you compare the alternatives.

CWOT

Reaction score
Good comments, I may take a look at the pursuit, the pictures look good.

I am in the Northeast and I am interested in a GW 275.
My local dealer will only give me an "about price", give or take 25k!, until he gets one in stock.
According to the dealer there is no actual Grady price list for the boat or the extras.
When I called a dealer in the next state for a ball park figure he told me my local dealer was a good guy, see ya.
I called another and he asked me where I was from and than he said he would get back to me.
Does Grady have a price list or are the prices made up by each dealer?
I have considered going to Florida for a boat but I am sure my warranty and follow-up service would be a problem with this GW dealer and service is a very important issue for me.

I bought a new car last year and the pricing was everywhere, showroom, window label, internet, etc...
And I didn't buy the lowest price, I bought the best service reputation.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Our Tournament 225 (yamaha 250) cost us about 60k back in late 2007. I looked at the 255 also and was amazed at the cost diff. It is really not very different from the 225 to be asking 110... :wow Edgewater has a model in this size range now also that looks great. I am sure it is not cheap either. By the way, I see on the website that the Tournament name is no longer in use, and the current version of my boat is a "Freedom 225." Appears to be the exact same boat and same website photos they were using 3 years ago, but now you can get a 300 (wow) and an optional fixed top (which looked a little silly to me.) I wonder what they cost now? Does anyone know?