255 freedom with 500 hp ( advise please )

Karter34

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just purchased a freedom 255 and want to increase the hp to 500
I can get it re rated but want to know if there is any negatives other than fuel and servicing expense
I intend to go fast , ski , and fish a bit from it
So engine will be 2x Honda bf250 's from all reports excellent engines though a bit heavy .
Anyway feed back would be great !
Thanks in advance
Nic

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
JMHO, but likely more HP than you need, and certainly too much weight on the transom.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Honda went to 250's now?

Thought 225's were the highest HP they made...

I agree with ocnsir; Too much weight aft. Honda's are, I think, the heaviest OB's. Maybe 225 Verados would be an option...

Karter34

Reaction score
maybe i should go for a lighter engine .
2x225 Etec . saves about 100kg and about $15000.00
I think it should get up and boogey as the when fitted with twin 150`s or a single 350 its a bit of a slug /....

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Karter34 said:
I think it should get up and boogey as the when fitted with twin 150`s or a single 350 its a bit of a slug /....

If you're looking to go all that fast, why did you buy the Grady? Sure, they can go fast, but that's not really what they were designed for.

Again, JMHO.

BTW, our "slug" Islander is rated at 500HP and will top out at 37kts with twin F150s. Faster than that with a single new F300.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Karter;

Couple things...

To expand on ocnsir's take; Grady's hull design does not translate to maximum speed per HP. If you put twin 250 Hondas (still didn't know they made 250's??)on a Contender, Yellowfin, Donzi, etc. you'll get more MPH because of the stepped hull design and other factors I don't understand.
I'll always remember my conversation with my service tech years ago when I bought my 1st Grady Seafarer. I wanted to figure out how to put 275 HP on it. (They were rated at 280 HP back then..) He said it wouldn't go much faster and I would spend lots of money and fuel for a couple MPH. Gradys hull aren't designed to deliver maximum speed.

Anyway, to point #2...

How fast is "fast?" You want to ski and fish also...Any Grady with the highest HP rating will ski anybody. Fishing is not related to speed..That leaves the "go fast" part left.
I would guess a maxed-out freedom 255 would go mid-upper 40's. Not enough? Get it into the 50's somehow and you'll spend lots more money and it won't feel that much faster. Kind of like a limo going 75 down the interstate with the windows up.
I can only relate to myself here, but "fast" to me is 55+.(My Donzi does 63-64..) Your Freedom won't get there unless you break some rating rules.

Bottom line..You'll spend tons of money and not get a whole lot of bang for the buck with the Grady you have. It is not a speed boat..As ocnsir said, that's not what they were designed for.

Vic H

Reaction score
The performance report on the Grady White web site shows a Freedom 255 with the max F350 tops out at over 51 mph. That is faster than my boat and I only run WOT occasionally for about 30 seconds on the way in, just to "blow it out". Twin Honda 250s would weigh in at over 1200 lbs and might affect the boat's balance considerably. Perhaps two of the new Yamaha F200XB (4 cylinder) outboards at under 1000 lbs total weight would be a better choice, if more speed is that important. That would still exceed the boat's maximum rated horsepower though.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While you may get the 255 up to 60 you're probably going to wish you didn't. It'll get unstable and make it very easy for bad things to happen rather quickly. My Sailfish will get up around 50 with twin 200's, I can't see why you would need 225's on an Islander (I'll make and exception for the old F225) let alone a Freedom. The extra couple MPH will cost more throughout the range.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't do it. You'll be too stern heavy for starters and you gonna need lots of $ to run a little faster. Ask also your insurance guy about going over the max HP. If he says is OK, get it in writing.

Karter34

Reaction score
Hi all
Ok firstly i bought a grady and not a speed boat as they are meant to be the best build quality and handle all types of weather .
Not worried about running costs , for the expense of these boats fuel is the last of my concerns
I have had the boat re rated by a surveyor so the insurance company wont have any issues
I think the etecs will be the way to go as i save 220 pounds over honda , and they are faster .hoping to turn this slug into rampant rat !! Maybe able to crack 65 mph . But who knows .
Just for me the perfect all round boat .
Your feedback regarding the weight has been very helpful
Thanks

Karter34

Reaction score
Authority ????

He has been given the license to survey a boat and re rate it as he sees fit .
Therefore he has the authority to produce and issue a new compliance plate.

Pretty cool ha !!

MixinItUp

Reaction score
Nic

First, 255 is my dream boat so I am anxious to see you establish the new rating for us all.

Now....Not going to preach to you about the validity of rerating a hull(make sure he has a strong E & O or professional liability policy) or misapplication of high HP on a Grady hull(law off diminishing returns on a hull not built for speed) because you've already heard logical views on those and made your position clear. My opinion is you're a grown man and can put a jet engine on the thing as far as I'm concerned(as long as my kids are no where near you). I say bolt on as much power as you can squeeze back there and let her rip. In fact, make sure you film it for us.

But I will reiterate Nothing Else Matters' point.In my personal experience, some Grady hulls can be VERY sensitive to stern weight and act very strange in seas if put in this condition. If you are going to be on a lake or primarily run in the river, probably not going to disappoint you too much. Get that puppy in 2-3 foot sees and she may betray you. I DO NOT know anything about the specific design of the 255 hull but can attest that a stern heavy-bow light Grady White is not the same vessel.

Sounds like you are already moving in that direction by moving down to the 225 ETecs but I just wanted to ditto NEM. I would be much more concerned with the attitude of the boat, specifically with the Grady hull. Provided you can get comfortable with that aspect, have fun. And don't forget to make the video. Shoot it with a GoPro attached to an eprib though just in case.....

MixinItUp
Savannah

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I never heard that a surveyor could change the HP rating of a boat as he likes, but maybe i am making a mistake.
The thing that i know though is, lets take a Grady 330 pre 2008. Up until 2007 all 330 where rated for 600 HP, some came with HPDI 300's, when they(Grady) change the rating i 2008 to be 700 HP, they just didn't "change" the rate but they actually added two huge 3" wide knees attached to the transom and the stringers and also i believe an aluminum L bracket. For their engineers to do that means that it had to be done even with a 100 HP up rate. You are going to do a 150 HP up grade on the same hull/transom structure and a surveyor agrees on that, i would get a second or third opinion before i continue. If god forbid something happened you are at fault just because you are over powered, not to mention also that your Grady warranty is voided(if you have any left). Please think a lot first what you are trying to do before you do this. They are lots of other boats that size made to go the speed you like to go and some of them are equal or better doing it than a Grady.

Karter34

Reaction score
Appreciate your feedback and the go Pro line is a classic .
Though please note that the Etec `s are only 20Kg more each than yamaha 150 so the weight concern is no longer a concern .
The other question is

The 200 etec weighs 238 kg
The 225 etec weighs 238kg
The 250 etec weighs 238 kg .

the difference in price for an additional 25 hp is only $1200
So if weight is not a concern surley you would go with the 2 x 250`s you can only go as fast as you want to push the throttle right ?

So at this stage it seems 2 x 250`s .... and Ill drive it to the limit of the conditions . ( I hope )
Go Pro is on order ...
FASTEST GRADY EVER BUILT !!!!

Karter34

Reaction score
Seems you guys maybe onto something , the surveyor has come back to me and suggested 500hp is a bit too much and may have to bring back to 450 ..
Ah well . Still should be slug proof !

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 33
Section 183.53 - Horsepower capacity
Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters. CHAPTER I - COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED). SUBCHAPTER S - BOATING SAFETY. PART 183 - BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT. Subpart D - Safe Powering.

Worth a good read. :D

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think I mentioned 225 Verado,s didn't I? Hmm...

Seriously, one more thing..No two more....

1.) Where will you be running? If it's coastal areas or large bays or the Great Lakes, it is seldom calm enough to run a Grady hull past 50,(heck past 35 for that matter..) without pounding you and the boat into oblivion. Ask how many guys on here run their boats at a hi-speed register for any length of time. The answers won't be encouraging.
2.) If your buying new, follow the break-in procedure to the letter in your owners manual. Your spending big jack on those engines. Resist the temptation to firewall them right out of the box and you'll have a longer lasting powerplant.
Think you can get away with it anyway? Don't. Any prospective buyer for your boat down the road can ask for and get a computer read-out of the whole history of the RPM ranges. I wouldn't pay for a boat with engines that have been run too hard.

Again, good luck. Let us know what you decide!

Karter34

Reaction score
Capt ted

Why is it you have to disrespect someone's credibility without a shred of evidence .
I think u should put your money where your mouth is .
Let's say $100.00 .
I will post a copy of new compliance plate within 14 days
If not I'll pay u
If so , you pay me

That should teach you to be more careful when disrespecting others in the future .

Deal?