255 freedom with 500 hp ( advise please )

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have gone back over this thread several times.

Some of us (including me) have tried to help the OP, but it could be looked at that we have gotten on his case.

I still have the question about "authority" for a surveyor to make a change in rated HP.
- I am not aware of any state that "licenses" surveyors as to their knowledge, only a business license.
- The CFR is pretty specific about calculating the rated HP for a boat with a "factor" greater than 52, and this boat doesn't calculate out to 500, or even 450. Just the HP that GW rated it.
- I can go the local engraving shop and have a new plate made for a few dollars. That may fool the boarding party, but it doesn't mean the boat is safe with that HP.

I truly hope that the OP has a great experience, and I hope to never encounter him on the water.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail - 1600 Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited Tonnage
Commander, US Navy (Ret)

Vic H

Reaction score
The OP referred to engine weight in kilograms instead of pounds, so he may be from a different country. They may have different laws governing how boats may be rated regarding maximum horsepower. Just a thought.

Karter34

Reaction score
Hi all

I have managed to successfully get the boat related to 450hp
On the basis max load is 7 people and engines fitted are 225 for weight
and Vic you are correct
I am from Australia .
I have had a look on boat trader and there are a few 25 ft boats centre consoles etc with 500 hp
Anyway thanks for all your advise seems I will be flying up the coast !
Again the reason I went this boat is quality and adding extra hp for water skiing and going quick
I would have thought this boat with such quality and a deep hull should handle pretty well at speed
Anyway time will tell
Thanks for all your feedback
If I learn how to post photos I will

Regards
Nicholas

Karter34

Reaction score
Ed ed ed D'ed

Not keen on taking my money then mate ....?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
He has been given the license to survey a boat and re rate it as he sees fit .
Therefore he has the authority to produce and issue a new compliance plate.

Only the manufacturer or builder can rate a hull for maximum hp. It's actually a simple formula that has to do with the length of the boat, tiller vs wheel steering, the general hull design, and the beam at the transom. Everybody has to use the same formula. Just call Grady White about that and they'll straighten you out.

That surveyor either handed you a load of crap or your just trolling for responses here.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd check the laws but in most places that plate isn't worth the brass it's stamped on. Just because you take away from the max occupency it doesn't mean you aren't going to mess around with the boat's handling with the extra weight hanging off the transom, not to mention the extra stress on the hull.

Gradys aren't deep V hulls, there are plenty of other manufacturers that would be a better match for your intentions. The best outcome I can forsee is you not being happy but it can turn into you or someone else getting hurt.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Grog is right;
I've said the same thing 3 times on this thread.

Karter; I am not trying to stomp on your future "fun factor" with this boat; You sound like a happy and excited guy trying to rig a boat for fun times. There is nothing wrong with that.
Why don't you demo a few hi-performance offshore hulls and compare them to the Grady? That way you have a broader perspective before you try to rig a Grady for something it isn't designed to do well.
No matter what anyone here says to the contrary, you want to fly up and down the coast and go fast. For the money that you'll spend doing what your saying, you could get into a much better boat suited for your purpose.
If you insist on making a Grady try to become a SeVee or an Intrepid and it doesn't go well, you'll probably get some "I told-you-so''s" here later..

Karter34

Reaction score
Surprising what this topic has stirred up . And how defensive you guys are getting.

Firstly the plate has been approved for me in Australia where i reside

Also remember the extra weight over 2 x 150''s is only 40 pounds

So it really more power added to this boat and its only 100hp ...

I will only run it as fast as the conditions allow . To me it seems your so defensive it's almost like your unhappy you can't rerate yourself ..

I went out in a hydrasport 34 with 900 hp that was a beast

I went out in a Grady 282 sailfish . Handled well underpowered

Jenneau 8.5cc this was my choice though a bit big and expensive

So I have tested a few boats and have bought the 255 freedom already I ordered engines yesterday
2x225 etec

But anyway we will see , at wot with 350 max speed is only 51mph my last savage 195 Chinese bow rider did that and it was a heap of crap . Inboard with 195hp . Light piece of junk

So this Grady will surely have to handle better than that did .

For all u non believers I will post photos ,
:<><

And as mentioned take any wager ,,,

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
225's will be a good match for that boat, plus the Etecs are not as heavy as Hondas, I don't think. That should help with handling.

Tell us how it runs when you get it rigged.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
He has been given the license to survey a boat and re rate it as he sees fit . Therefore he has the authority to produce and issue a new compliance plate.

Given a license by who, and who checks to see if 'as he sees fit' meets standards? I could be wrong, but I don't see Grady outsourcing that lawsuit :wink: ...

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't think that anyone here is being defensive. They just have experience with GW boats that you lack.

The etecs are a better choice than the BF250s. I've never been in a 255, but I have been in a lot of other Gradys and they don't like weight at the stern. Even a heavy ice chest will alter the ride characteristics in a less that favorable way. They ride much better with weight closer to the balance point.

The other point being made is that the SV2 is just not a fast hull design. They ride best in any significant sea when you slow down to 30 mph or less. You can't can't compare a GW with a big Hydrasport. They are 2 very different hull designs.

The folks here are just trying to help you out with the advice that you requested. So maybe you should lose the chippy attitude.

I see that there are guys in AU that offer to change max hp rating plates:

http://www.numurkahcustomizedboats.com/About-Us.html

Don't know how the manufacturers let them get away with it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like you are on a mission and have money to burn. Good luck.
Personally, I think this doesn't end well. I don't understand your logic to be honest and it sounds like you bought the wrong boat for your needs and are trying to patch it into something is really wasn't designed to be.

A lot of money spent for likely little gain in speed is probably the best outcome. While the weight on the transom may be solved, I don't know how many people will be willing to buy a boat that is overpowered in the future. I doubt Grady would stand behind it from a warranty standpoint. No matter what the back of the envelope weight calc says, this is an unknown repower that has risk and potentially safety implications.

I don't understand your logic to be honest and it sounds like you bought the wrong boat for your needs. Why not contact Grady and get their input. Why not sell and get another 255 or go fast boat. You're going to pay for the repower, take the hit on the boat and get a ski/go fast boat sounds like the best option to me.

Karter34

Reaction score
To All you guys thinking i have made a mistake and should buy a different boat , I say CRAP .

The boat is only 100hp over rate .

Its a family all rounder boat which is what i want , and there is nothing on the market with this layout and size that will do the job with the quality i need .

I intend to , Ski , Day boat and fish

The build quality and weight of the boat is very good , so I want to go as fast as I can in a boat that will handle everything i am looking for .

Proof is in the pudding , though with no extra weight now using etec and more power the boat will still be stable though just faster .

Standard they are just too slow and to tow a skier or two is an issue.

I can`t see how you guys can think its unsafe as it handles great and in lake as well as offshore.

I think that if most people could over power they would , Just in the States your not allowed ... BOO HOO

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just one question. Why did you ask??

Karter34

Reaction score
Fair call

Why did I ask ....?

I wanted to know concerns and you guys steered me in the right direction suggesting weight was an issue .

Though too much power /// it's like a car if you have a powerful car u just drive it to the condions . So I don't see the issue regarding power concerns

Fishtales

Reaction score
Let us know how you make out. I'd be curious how much faster it is and how it performs. Good luck!

Karter34

Reaction score
Hi all

So we asked for a build plate for the boat freedom255 from grady white as it was never originally attached
They sent us a new one and actually rerated the boat to 400 hp

We needed this plates to get our 450hp plate which we also have .
Seems like grady have woken up to themselves and realise the 255 is in need of extra hp
Anyway good news for curent owners who want extra hp
Call grady ask for a new plate considering they have re rated
Good luck all

Vic H

Reaction score
They probably re-rated it (and maybe other models) to accommodate the new, lighter Yamaha F200XBs which weigh slightly more than the F150. WorldCat did that years ago on some models as lighter, more powerful 4 strokes evolved.

Karter34

Reaction score
Just got the boat delivered and it has 450 hp 2x225 etec
Max speed is 55mph and it runs solid as a rock . Would have thought quicker though has wrong props on . Has 19" and requires at least 21"
Will test later . It has great hole shot and fantastic mid range pull. I added power assist steering so very easy to drive .
I don't know how to post pictures but it looks great.
I would not be happy with any less power .