255 power

Old Lion

Reaction score
My new 255 has been ordered with the recommended 300 hp Yamaha. I am moving up from a 205 with a single 150. A few friends have asked about the wisdom of a single 300 rather than twin 150s. Any advice would be appreciated.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you go off shore, you might want to think about the safety of twins when you are far away from port. The twin 150s make about 4 mph more at 4500 rpm than 300 with almost the same burn rate according to Grady. The 350 V8 preforms right in the middle of the three with a higher burn rate than either. I would also consider the cost of twins vs a single plus the added cost of maintaining twins. Any choice you make will be a good one...fabulous boat and motors.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Presumably, you opted for a single for budget reasons, true?

Twins are more costly in every way measured incl fuel consumption.

Added cost in initial purchase price and double annual maintenance costs returns the benefits mentioned. Also, if one motor quits, you can come back on power, not fast planning power, but none the less faster than a tow.

Old Lion

Reaction score
I went with the 300 because the Marina strongly recommended that I do so. The advice that I got about possible engine failure is that the Yamahas are incredibly reliable (my 150 never failed in 3 years) and that most failures are attributable to fuel line issues, which would cause twins to fail as well. I am told that the 300 is a sensational engine which is quieter than the 350 and delivers almost the same performance for less cost and with greater fuel economy. I am also told that the single 300 is more economical than twin 150s. I also looked at the 275, which definitely would have required twins, but for my needs the 255 made the most sense.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi Old Lion
We went with the 300 hp on our Freedom 255(hard top) and this is a GREAT motor. With 6 adults(some not so small) on board, almost full fuel tank, water, coolers, gear, she pops up on plane in a flash. I had a single 150 on my 185 and I do not find the 300 any more noisy than I remember the 150 to have been. We can only get 87 octane in our area(no trailer) vs. the recommended 89, but she runs great. The fuel performance numbers are almost bang on with what Grady has posted on their web site, and even slightly better, we boat in fresh water. I went with the single 300 because I wanted the new motor, digital controls etc. which were not available with twin 150's. It has the troll feature that we use but have only been able to get down to 2.3-2.5 mph which may be just fine for your fishing needs but I like to be a bit slower. It will be interesting to get feedback from Andy in Australia who has the 255 with twin 150's , no hard top. Another reason I went with the new 300 is I did not want all that extra weight hanging off the stern but running this boat this summer the added weight would probably not hurt it. So the 350 is the other alternative and I do not know what the upcharge for purchase and fuel consumption better or worse would be. Hope this helps.
Bukster

Old Lion

Reaction score
Thanks Ed. My salesperson tested the 255 at the GW testing facility with both the 300 and the 350. He said that the 350 is noisier and doesn't provide much in the way of better peformance, and that the 300 is a better fit for the 255. PS, how do you find the room in the head? The ladies in my family think this is important! :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did yhe say the F350 doesn't provide much improvement over the new 300?
Whoa, doesn't say much about the F350 800+ lb V8 behemoth.
I doubt that to be true, hope not.

The 275 is more than ample with a single F300 or F350 considering it's a an ex Islander hull with plenty of 250 OXX66s delivered as singles out of Greenwood.
Many times more than twins. Whoever had the 250 OX66 would get more with the new 300 too.

As far as twins, I guess you (or he) has never broken down at sea, a lot different situation than with a car. Cra-p happens.
Hopefully you don't have to find out, ever.
No "Onstar" button to push out there.

Interesting sales "mojo" these days trying to sell boats.

My translation of the mojo is the dealer has the boat available (must be already built up) with a new 300 and that's what he wants you to leave with.
I bet the blood pressure would rise sky high if you said " I like the new sea foam hull color and what's the availability ?"

Old Lion

Reaction score
Actually the boat has to be ordered. He isn't selling a spec boat. This is the second boat that I have ordered from the same marina (I am trading a 205). The dealer is very reputable, and he went to the GW testing facility and tried 3 combinations -- twin 150s, the 300 and the 350. He felt that the 300 was the best all around package. As far as breaking down, his view is that the Yamaha is incredibly reliable, and that most breakdowns are fuel line issues. My Yamaha 150 never failed on me in three years.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's Greenville where HQ is, not Greenwood, my error.

Being reputable has nothing to do with it and no one is questioning reputation.

If someone wants twins it's their nickle not dealer's, so why is dealer avoiding another $25K in price if buyer is so interested ?
Benefit of twins is well established. At a cost so mentioned.

That's why the OP posted his queston as I see it.

And if that's the new 300 SHO is everyone sure it will not require recalls, etc, or can we bet the family farm on it being as reliable as the well established F150?

Now is the time for Op to consider it.

Will take me about 3-4 yrs of surfing THT for myself to find out.

I bet Yamaha is offering a wholesale incentive to push out the 300 SHO onto transoms, what do you think?

If the boats are sold spec'd out of factory, incl hull color choice, it would be nice to factory rig alternative brand power if chosen.
Perhaps next, may be a necessity very soon to offer options once again.

Grady may be pushing new 300 SHOs to support Yamaha turnover from Fs to SHOs, as I will verify myself at the NY Boat show in a couple of months, perhaps Tobay too, next month.

I recall one boat show recently, the invasion of the F350 on everything, just about.

I also presume we are talking 300 SHO, not F300.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I opted for a single engine six years ago and have not regretted it. Nearly 1300 hours later and the F250 has been flawless. All of my boating is within 20 miles of shore unless we're running to the Bahamas with others. I carry a back-up radio, EPIRB and sea anchor. And I keep a BoatUS towing policy. So if my motor died, I probably wouldn't.

Two thoughts were foremost in my mind besides the obvious cost. A friend with twin 150s said he had to run both engines to achieve our typical trolling speed. You obviously could troll on one engine, but it raised the rpms enough that it burned even more fuel, he said. If I could have split the trolling hours, I probably would have gone with twins.

The other was a long-time boater who suggested that, if one of the twin engines dies, its still a bad day on the water. And you're doubling the chance of that happening.

Rob

leek

Reaction score
I have a T225 and it has the F-250 and a 9.9 on the back. It may be a northwest thing to have a "kicker" but we spend lots of time trolling for salmon at 2 knots or so and it is common to have a trolling moter here to keep the hours on the big motor down. It also is a little bit of safety if you need to get home. Just a thought.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi Leek
We looked at putting the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on our 255 but decided against it at the time primarily due to mounting concerns. The single 300 is in the middle of the transom of course and with the boarding area/ladder transom door...we decided not to install. I may revsit that decision when Bukster goes back to my dealer for service and storage. I had the 9.9 on my T185 and she pushed that boat along real well and great for trolling. The mistake I made was I did not get the 9.9 with power tilt so I was hanging off the stern putting the motor in and out of the water. The other concern is how far back the kicker would be to operate it. Food for thought as I do not always get the troll speed down to where I like it with the 300 when in troll mode.
Bukster