257 Advance - Handling

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
New to the forum and appreciate any insight on the following.

Two weeks ago I acquired a 2004 257 Advance with twin 150s. This is my first time operating with twins (I previously had a Dusky 203 w/ a single 150 for the past seven years). On a few instances, as I've throttled up, the boat wants to turn sharp to port with a pretty heavy list (it may have gone starboard once). It's a bit unnerving, to the extent I throttle down and come to a rest. Even when I'm up and running it has a bit of an unsteady feel to it. The trim tabs are up so that is not the issue (I think). The boat has never been overloaded, however I have had folks in the bow when this has occurred. Fuel has always been less than half a tank (under 75 gallons). I didn't experience any of this when it was just me and my two sons in the boat (which would be a combined 300 lbs). Could this be a simple case of too much weight in the bow causing bow-steer? Perhaps not getting the bow out of the water quick enough? Maybe the engines should not be totally down/dug under to allow the bow to rise? What is perplexing to me is that my Dusky (smaller/lighter boat, less power) never suffered from anything like this, even when I knew the bow probably had more than its fair share of passengers.

I feel like an idiot, but I'm fine asking the question if it results in safer operation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BTW - Other than this . . . I am simply in love with this boat.

hinmo

Reaction score
Can't speak to your model specifically, but it certainly seems like you are running bow down. check your tabs and make sure engines are trimmed properly

Reactions: jasgator5220

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I doubt that you need, or should have, the engines trimmed all the way down. We can jump up on plane very well in our boat, with the engines up three bars.

Also, are you sure the engines are counter rotating?

If counter rotating, the zinc trim tabs should be centered, not offset to either side.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I owned the same hull (Journey 258) with the same power as you for about 10 years. I never experienced what you have. As per the input above, I would make sure the tabs are up (bow up) and passengers in the back initially. Most boats will act unpredictably when the bow is too far down from weight or tabs.

On a new Pursuit I had a similar experience as you (really listing) until I figured out the trim tabs. I guess that is why it is suggested that you adjust tabs in small increments. It avoids sudden surprises.

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I doubt that you need, or should have, the engines trimmed all the way down. We can jump up on plane very well in our boat, with the engines up three bars.

Also, are you sure the engines are counter rotating?

If counter rotating, the zinc trim tabs should be centered, not offset to either side.
Yep, engines are counter rotating. I’ll check the zinc trim tabs and pay better attention to my trim position. Thanks for your thoughts.