258 cabin door holding strap

tgr23

Reaction score
I need to replace the cabin door strap. The velcro is no longer velcroing. The nearest dealer, 3 hours away says he only has clear plastic with a snap. He was not confident that this worked on my boat. Any ideas? Can I only use the velco model? Any place we can get this part online? Sick of ordering 5 dollar parts from then and paying 15 dollars shipping.

Thanks in advance

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Sailfish. I replaced my Velcro strap with one I found at West marine. At the time (2) 12" blue straps were sold in a pack. Perfect replacement. Just used the second one this year. West Marine may or may not still carry them or something similar that can be fashioned to work.

OceanBean
2004 282 w/F225
Long Island South Shore

tgr23

Reaction score
Thanks Oceanbean.

I can't believe others have not had to come up with a creative solution for this strap. Grady does not make them anymore. The snap version they offer is not even made to the specifics of the old velcro strap. I truly don't get it. I would love to hear from someone who did the velcro to snap conversion. On the one hand I like the idea of a snap but I'm concerned that if it's not a perfect fit the door will rattle around when under way.

Thanks

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the clear vinyl strap and eventually it broke down. I went this route and it works well so far. Just used some nylon webbing laying around that was heavy duty and added snap. The screw will allow you to adjust the tension so you can get it where it is taught.

Attachments

• Strap.jpg
    Strap.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,786

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you have the option to forego the strap and go with the magnet that Grady now uses? It holds the door in place pretty well, even when it's bumpy.

rpc

Reaction score
I agree with Wahoo...I have a 2006 Sailfish and the magnet works great holding the door open, and its easy to close, no need to fool around with snaps.