26.8 1997 ilander

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
hello all,Ijust got my first grady 26.8 ilander Im just an average guy that cam across a deel that I couldn,t turn down they seem to be always out of reach the cost.but anyway i was viewing the topic on these fich moters this Ilander is a1997 with twin 200 evinrudes the last two digets off the serial numbers are 99 but has a stiker that says 2000 has there been a lot of problems with this year moters thanks to any body that has nollage on these moters its great to be apart of a great fourum you guys anser a lot of my questions thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 268 Islander.

I can't tell you much about those Ficht engines, but I have read that they were problems for a lot of owners.

Best of luck,
Brian

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good news is the ones you have lasted quite a while, that's a good thing. When they run good they are good on oil and gas but their reputation precedes them. Search around on how to keep them healthy (I think they have carbon issues).

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
thanks grog i picked this boat up for 17,000.00 so even with a repower i should be ok I hop to get a couple years out of them to have time to save a little money on a repower wat brand would you chose and what size a friend of mine just repowerd his 27 wellcraft costal with 200 etects the boat flys but in the ocean you can only go so fast do you think they are a littleoverkill I was thinking of twin 150for fuel consuption the more money i keep in my pocet the better thanks

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
*26.8 Ilander said:
thanks grog i picked this boat up for 17,000.00

$17K :shock: even if the engines take a dump, it was a great deal. It has a clean title? A very good deal indeed.

gradytom

Reaction score
I have a 98 Islander w/ twin 98 Ficht 150's.
I also heard the reports but had the boat surveyed and compression test done, all checked out ok.
I also contacted Bombardier and verified the motors had the updated "pinned" heads installed in 2001 (they actually verified they had been shipped, a visual inspection and small maintenance sticker on each motor verified the work had been done).
The issue w/Fichts was indeed carbon buildup.
If the motors are still strong and the price is right maybe go for it.
I decarb 2x/year, index the plugs, run ONLY xd50 oil and add seafoam w/every fillup.
I haven't had any carbon issues in 5 seasons, compression is still good and even across all cylinders, the motors are very strong and its a fast setup, overall feel very happy . . . and lucky.
I don't do alot of trolling on the fichts, have a kicker for that.
Carbon seems to be mostly an issue at prolonged low rpm.
If you need any info let me know, I've done a ton of research.
gt

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
gt;thanks for the reply .Ive been woryed after the post I read on these fich moters.I had a compersion check done befor we completed our deal.allthe cylinders read 135 riht now I have the boat at a evenrude dealer that is going to do a diagnostic on the moters hes supose to be top noch. Idident see any lable indicating this proceger was done. If I contact evenrude with the serial # do you think they might know. thanks again for information on these moters. [/img]

gradytom

Reaction score
135 across all cylinders is very good, what you really are looking for is a weak cylinder compared to the others.
Try this link
http://boatsetup.com/PlgIndex.pdf
to see if you can identify a pinned head.
There will be what looks like a hex fitting on each cylinder right next to the spark plug fitting in the block.
The pin was added to help deflect atomized fuel as it was being injected into the cylinder.
Indexing the plugs, or orienting them so that the electrode opens toward the injector also helps for more complete fuel burn, thus minimizing carbon. High performance fuel injected racers do this all the time. It takes me about 16 plugs to do a full 12 cylinder plug change to get them to orient correctly, they recommend NOT using spacers.
I would say at that age, if the motors have had regular use you are probably ok.
If you can find a dealer to hook your motors up to a laptop or pda with the diag software for that year, they can tell you a ton, hours at various rpms, code history etc.
Get an Evinrude service manual, not the sealock (sp?) or consumer grade manual and begin to be able to identify alarm codes, how to read them off the dash etc. by holding open the throttle position sensor while turning the ignition key but not cranking will be invaluable, about $65 from an evinrude dealer.
DO NOT run standard TCW3, only XD50
Good luck and please let me know how things turn out or if I can help further.
They should be able to tell you if the upgrade was shipped if you provide them the serial #s
gt

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
gt, thanks again for your input sounds like you ben done the road in heading in once i get some information ill let you know thanks

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
ISlander

Congrats, sounds like you got a steal!! I just bought a Islander 268 1998 and paid twice that, and it was a good price. Single Yama 250. I LOVE THAT BOAT!!!!

Best of luck

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
thanks joe the boat looked to be in bad shape but every thing worked.3 days of washing waxing thing looked bran new.just ordered some gel coat from gw for a few chips on the hatches the was waiting for me wasent realy a great time for me to by enything with the market I am a ceramic tile Installer we did mostly new constrution there is not many houses being built neer me (harford county md ) but just coldnot turn it down thanks steve

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's a great boat for a great price. And here's someone on the forum that knows about those engines - how cool is that?

Welcome aboard!