263/273 Chase differences, questions, and preferences

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
As stated in my introduction post, I am not currently a Grady owner, but am strongly considering it as I research for my next boat. One of the models I am considering is the 263/273 Chase. I know there were some changes throughout the years. Here is what I think I know...

1. All have the SV2 hull, a decent improvement in handling a head sea
2. The 263 had a step near the transom that reduced the on-plane running length by about 2 feet. Most feel this made the boat not handle rough water as well.
3. The 263 has 20 degrees of transom deadrise (measured at the end of the running bottom)
4. Near the end of the 263 production, the running length of the hull was extended all the way to the back. I have heard that this was to support the weight of increasingly popular 4S motors. I have read that it improved rough water handling (was that also design intent, or lucky side effect?)
5. After the hull extension, the deadrise is only 18.5 degrees (true or not??? not much info on this). If this is true, is it still 20 degrees at the location of the "old end of the hull" and GW continued the flattening profile of the hull to the new "end" (I know the SV2 is continuously changing deadrise, so I assume they kept the hull the same forward of that point, and just continued the profile)?
6. When the nomenclature changed to 273, the console changed a bit also.

My main questions
1. Is there a significant difference in ride (any conditions) between the shorter bottom and full length?
2. Does the reduced deadrise make the boat less comfortable in a short steep chop (I know this is a relatively similar question to 1 above).
3. Are there any other differences I don't know about?
4. How do these boats handle big/rough water (return trip from the Gulf Stream / Canyons in the Mid-Atlantic when a surprise storm kicks up)?

Just FYI, my main uses will be family cruising in the upper chesapeake, a of bit skiing and tubing, and a couple off shore fishing runs out of Indian River Inlet (Delaware), or Ocean City Maryland. In the longer term, I may trailer it to the FL Keys for a month of family fun to include snorkeling, diving, and fishing.

I know this is a lot, thanks in advance for the help. I am sure I will have more questions.

-eric

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
bump...someone must know something about these boats

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We have an ‘01, which was the last year of the 263 version. It has the full-length running bottom with recessed trim tabs. We love the boat.

- 273 has a better rear (folding) seat.
- I like the newer-style bow seating better as well (split goes further forward).
- 263 has the built-in ladder on the port side, and the transom door is on the starboard side. WTH?! I just added another ladder.
- The 200 HPDIs on our boat are a great match. Light, strong, efficient and zero smoke. Certainly a little noisier than 4 strokes.
- Early 273s mostly came with F225s; quiet and smooth but many have some notorious problems.
- If we ever need to repower, we’ll probably get the newer F200 4 strokes.
- I don’t know what size electronics fit in the 273’s hideaway helm, but we flush-mounted a 12” Garmin in the 263’s box.
- I would assume the late 263 and 273s ride the same.
- Got stuck crossing the Gulfstream back from the Bahamas once in windy, 2-4’ conditions. We were certainly wet (soaked), but the ride was fine and the whole family felt safe.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
great info, thanks!

when you got caught in the slop, did you have to drop off plane, or were you able to go fast enough to maintain a plane? if still on plane, did you just tuck the engines down and use some tab?

hows the economy at cruise?