263 vs 273

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Hi all, after years of saving, i will be in the market for a new (to me) boat this summer! It has been a lot of research and learning. The top boat on my list is the GW Chase. I am looking for opinions on what people that have had these liked or disliked about it (layout, slight changes year to year, etc...).

Year:
I know that i want the full length running surface and the green wood transom. Fortunately, as far as i know, these both came in the 2000 model year of the 263, so i know i want a 2000 or newer.

Console:
i also know that when they changed to calling it the 273, the redesigned the console with the flip up instrumentation panel. I dont currently have a preference on this. Obviously, i like the idea of protecting the instruments from the elements, but does that limit the size screens you can install compared to the older console (assume cutting the whole mounting area out and starting over with new acrylic on the 273).
Do both offer the same viewing angle?
Does the flip up panel wobble/vibrate/move when in big water?
Does the flip up panel allow water into the console?

What else should i be aware of with the chase? pulpit, bow rail height, anchor locker? any and all tips and info are appreciated.

thanks!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can't help you with the questions about the instrument panel but can offer some insight to other areas. I believe that the switch from marine grade plywood to the Greenwood XL started at the beginning of the 1997 model year, so anything from 1997 and newer should have that as opposed to just the standard marine grade plywood. I've seen some posts on here and other sites about guys having issues with the transoms of their boats even though they have the Greenwood XL, but it's nowhere near the amount compared to guys that just have the marine grade plywood. I always enjoy looking at the Grady White website, you can go to their Brochures section and look up previous model boats as well as their specs. I admittedly don't know much of anything about CC boats and just now realized that they switched over the model name of the two, which looks like it happened between the 2001 and 2002 model years. The two different models and years are nearly identical in regards to specs or dimensions... both have an 8'6" beam, bridge clearance is basically the same at 6'10" for the 2001 and 6'9" for the 2002, with the T-Top having both years at 8'3", center line length on both is 26'11", cockpit depth is 28" on the 263 and 27" on the 273. The rest is the same... cockpit square footage at 65 sq ft, hull draft of 15", max hp 500hp, outboard shaft lengths, transom width of 7'10" and a weight of 3,975 lbs. The only thing that's slightly different is that the 273 Chase has a 205 gallon fuel tank as opposed to the 263 Chase which is a 203 gallon fuel tank. So, long story short... it seems like the boats are mostly the same with some very minor differences between the two, or at least from what can be read on paper. The bow pulpit was also an optional feature, so it may have been added or it may not have been depending on the owner who ordered it at the time. I personally try to buy as new of a boat with as new of motors and few hours as possible and will work with my budget. I'd try to find a couple of boats locally and look at them in person to see if you do have a preference one way or the other. Then, if/when you do go to purchase a boat, I'd seriously consider paying a marine surveyor to go out and inspect the boat with/for you.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
thanks. and a marine surveyor as well as a certified engine tech are both in the plans.

Reactions: Viking88rd

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2002 273 and owned it since new. 2300 hours offshore. This was the first year of the 225 4stroke and I do think they added flotation to handle the weight. The batteries are in the console which I like. I do like the flip up panel and yes, you have to stay on top of the screws/hinges but not that big od a deal. I terms of size I forget the models but you can not put large screens...but no issue for me. I have always had my radar screen in the electronics box overhead and that means redundant gps....wiring sucks but I added an upgraded fuse panel and things are good. I now have 250 zukes and they are perfect. I think this is one of gradys best hulls since it is not too beamy...ping me offline if you want to know more.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
thanks brdawg. i definitely appreciate your offer and will keep that in mind.

what can yo fit in the flip up? i assume two 12" would be too big? maybe a 9" and a 12" or two 9" screens?

i really hope to find one with 4 strokes for a somewhat reasonable price, but know that will be tough in this market.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Mustang - I believe the 265 a 9' 67" beam? minor but can make a difference to some

GradyChase263

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chase 263 and I love it. The layout makes this boat a standout in my opinion - I don't think it can be beat in this length. I think the advantage the 263 has over the 273 is the molded in seat and the livewell placement behind the helm seat. That combination makes that area feel twice the size of the 273 and other comparable center consoles with fish box in the stern and a flip up seat. I avoided the 273 for that reason and I'm glad I did. You have to stand on both to really appreciate it. Otherwise, I think the 273 wins in all other areas.

Mine doesn't have the full length running surface, and while I would prefer it for a slightly better ride, I've been in some snotty situations in this boat and it got me back safely. If I were offshore a lot I would want a different hull, but for most of what I do it's a non-issue.

All that said - good luck finding a dry one. I looked at several with wet transoms and serious delamination issues. This one had a stringer replaced before I bought it. I settled for one with 2 strokes on it because the hull was in good condition. Happy to answer any 263 questions you have.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I have a 1998 Chase 263 and I love it. The layout makes this boat a standout in my opinion - I don't think it can be beat in this length. I think the advantage the 263 has over the 273 is the molded in seat and the livewell placement behind the helm seat. That combination makes that area feel twice the size of the 273 and other comparable center consoles with fish box in the stern and a flip up seat. I avoided the 273 for that reason and I'm glad I did. You have to stand on both to really appreciate it. Otherwise, I think the 273 wins in all other areas.

Mine doesn't have the full length running surface, and while I would prefer it for a slightly better ride, I've been in some snotty situations in this boat and it got me back safely. If I were offshore a lot I would want a different hull, but for most of what I do it's a non-issue.

All that said - good luck finding a dry one. I looked at several with wet transoms and serious delamination issues. This one had a stringer replaced before I bought it. I settled for one with 2 strokes on it because the hull was in good condition. Happy to answer any 263 questions you have.
thanks. i am realizing that between a dry hull, 4 strokes, and budget, i may only get two of the three. budget and dry hull are the top priorities.

i will have to look at the rear deck layout of the two, i appreciate that insight!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang - I believe the 265 a 9' 67" beam? minor but can make a difference to some
A 265, as in a 265 Express? The comparison was between a 263 Chase and a 273 Chase, both of which have an 8'6" beam amidships, or at least for the years that I posted above. A 265 Express is a walk around boat and a completely different animal entirely, which yes it does have a 9'7" beam... but I don't think anyone mentioned anything about it, at least in this thread.