265 Electrical issue

Lefty

Reaction score
Hi,

recently I have been having an electrical issue with the 265. This weekend we had just run about 10 miles at cruising speed - the fridge, the gps, fishfinder, and radar were all on. When I cut the throttles, all electronics turned off, and would not turn back on. We reset the breaker in the starboard stern compartment, and the electronics powered back up. This seems to only happen when I cut the throttles hard - bring them back gradually and all is well. Later in the day, the same thing happened when I brought the boat off plane and brought the trim tab back up into the fully retracted position. As soon as I hit the trim button - no electronics.

Batteries are three years old. I'm thinking new batts. Any ideas?

seasick

Reaction score
My first guess is that the breaker is bad. The only way it would trip is if it was in over-current mode which it may not have been unless something was loose and shorted when you hard throttled back. Assuming that there wasn't a short it just popped.
Using the trim tabs may have added just enough draw to pop it.

I would lean towards replacing it and see if that fixes the problem n but I would also try to make it pop while the vessel is at rest by turning on loads and then hitting the tabs.
If there is a short, something may be shifting when you throttle back or come off plane. That may be harder to isolate.