265 Express Autopilot Pump Location

captain swag

Reaction score
Installing Robertson autopilot on our 2001 265 Express. Debating where to locate the pump. Don't want it in the bilge due to dampness. Thought about behind the starboard tackle locker below the cockpit sink but hose run would be kinda long to the helm. Also found a small spot just to starboard of the drawer assembly in the cuddy. Need some advice on what other 265 owners have done. Thanks

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Mine is just starboard of the drawer assembly as you describe. By pulling the drawers out, there is pretty good access. You should have plenty of space.

captain swag

Reaction score
Eppem, we had all the pieces parts of a Robertson AP 11, 3000x had the most recent chip and also had a new dash head unit. Only part needed was the linear feedback so we got a new smartstick. 250.00 vs 3 or 4 grand. Might not be the most tech advanced unit but the parts are pretty much still available used, and it never was a problem on the last Grady. Easy to use and trouble free.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have a Simrad Ap16. I mainly just use it for long runs. This is season 7 with it. I have replaced or had issues with a couple of the components over the years. Which is my experience with pretty much anything on a boat. The computer was mounted in the same area as the pump (behind the drawers in the cabin) by the tech when it was initially installed. Worked great for a couple of years, then stopped working. Unit went back to simrad, when I got it back I then mounted it in the helm electronic box, and has been fine since. I also replaced the rate compass a few years back too. Other then that it has been nice to have.

captain swag

Reaction score
drbatts we had similar problems over the years. Had the 3000x box under the foward berth and a window leaked in the cuddy. Of course the water went through the cushion and through the hatch cover under the cushion. Sent is back to Simrad and they sent it back repaired at no charge. Tech said the fried board cost 600.00 but they had several "laying around". Rpu 80 pump froze up but found one on ebay. And linear feedback gave out so the better made smartstick was purchased. Robertson had a trade your old compass for a new gyro rate unit plus 100.00 so we did that also. It has been an evolution over time but haven't really got a lot invested in it. Like you also said things wear out particularly on boats. All of my replacements did not occur at once but rather over a pretty long period of time.