265 Express Folding Motorwell Door Catches

captain swag

Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace the two spring loaded/ball bearing catches that hold up the transom door? If so where did they come from? Is there another solution to using them? Thanks in advance. Ray

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I haven't replaced them but I'm considering adding clamp latches to ensure the door stays shut. I've played with the adjustment on the stock catches (Southco I think) but in heavy seas, the door doesn't stay shut. I'm looking at either rubber latches similar to the ones used on the fish box hatch or stainless adjustable cam latches. They have to be 90 degree to work with the door. I'll be interested if anyone has other alternatives.

fish_hunter

Reaction score
Mine are pinned. I have a hole drilled on each end in the top of the transom door where it overhangs the sides and have a 3" bolt dropped in there. I just pop out the bolts if I need to open the transom. Works well.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My boat is an 02. never had a problem with the latches, or had to tighten them. Never had the transom door drop in heavy seas either. I takes a pretty good pull to open/fold it down. If you can't find a replacement, the pin method seems like the way to go. Only problem I could see is if you tilt the engines up and the pins are in, you may damage something. While with the latch the door will just pop open if the engines are tilted up to high.

tilewave

Reaction score
mine was dropping down in rough waters. i fabricated a drop in pin latch also. works awesome ! very simple to do. of course u simply need to drop the gate prior to lifting the motors, not a big deal. call me if u want to know how i did mine 908 337 4965 - john

Lucky13

Reaction score
could you guys post some pictures of the pin method please thanks

captain swag

Reaction score
I eventually. used the same type stainless bolt that is under the folding seat on the port side near the helm. Mounted it on the upper transom panel just under the bolster.Thinking of putting a second one on the other side.