265 Express Fuel burn?

Lucky13

Reaction score
just bought a 265 express 01 hull with twin 225 4s's and based on the ST numbers the boat should get 350mile or more range.

The ST load was deff not what it would be going for a canyon run or overnight fishing but if it was 14 GPH 1.8 MPG at cruise adjusting down to 1.4-1.6 should be about right maybe? 250 gl tank so even at 1.4 its 350 mile range.

would love to see what people who run 265's have to say. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I use 1.5 in my planning when running my 265 w/ 200hp HPDI's.

Pretty spot on for long tuna/shark trips.

I can definitly hit the 1.7 to 1.8 when then boat is light.

I usually only keep 60-120 gallons in her, and usually in the forward main tank.

I found she is a little stern heavy if you have the rear tank (researve) and front tank empty.

Good luck and enjoy!

Tim

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
My brother inlaw just sold his this summer it was a 2001 265 with 225 4S. We fished this boat hard out of OC MD shark/tuna 45 plus miles every weekend we could get out. We ran it loaded with crew and gear getting 18 GPH on average.

Lucky13

Reaction score
thanks guys. anoy more info is greatly appreciated.

When you fished the 01 with 4s's anything else you can tell me good or bad?

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '04 265 with F225s can get about 1.9 smpg at 29 mph. At 35 mph, I get about 1.6 smpg. I usually have about 3/4 full tanks and three people although I have not seen much difference with less/more weight. At trolling speeds, if gets about 3 smpg! Great combo. Hope that helps.
Lucky- where are you on the Cape?

Lucky13

Reaction score
Max I am north of the cape in Humarock but fish out of Falmouth alot. I will be out of falmouth, nantucket and MV for several trips offshore. are you in MA?

I think there was a slight change in the hull from 01 to 04 but it is probably safe to assume i would get close to your numbers yes? or have you heard the hull change made a bid diff?

overall are you happy with your 265?
is 4 crowded for a long fishing trip or is it ok?

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in East Falmouth. The boat is great- layout, rough water handling, visibility. I routinely fish with four people for fluke, trolling for blues or tuna, sharking. Nice to have the engines in close to the transom when a bluefin is running around the boat.
The deadrise was reduced for the '04 (might have been earlier) so my mileage might be a tad better than yours - maybe 0.1 smpg at the most.
Accessibility is a bit tough if you need to get at pumps or other ancillary equipment or run wires around but it can be worked out. Otherwise, it's a great boat. Good luck with yours.

Lucky13

Reaction score
thanks for the info.
I fish on my buddys 336 out of green pond all the time. was a 306 and before that a 26 reg. Reg was called gunsmoke and the 306 and 336 have both been miss bridget you may know the boat. my old boat was a 22 CC so i did mostly inshore fishing on it as well as some tuna trips to stellwagon. I ended up being on his boat more than mine so needed to upgrade.

Have you been to the dump or canyons in yours?

Will prob see you on the water once i bring the boat up in april. whats teh name of your boat?

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have not ventured to the canyons- yet, but have been south of the vineyard to the dump as well as east of Chatham. Both about 40 mi from Falmouth. My boat is "Good Fortune". Let's hope for a short and easy winter so we can get fishing again!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
fishingFINattic said:
I use 1.5 in my planning when running my 265 w/ 200hp HPDI's.

Pretty spot on for long tuna/shark trips.

I can definitly hit the 1.7 to 1.8 when then boat is light.

I usually only keep 60-120 gallons in her, and usually in the forward main tank.

I found she is a little stern heavy if you have the rear tank (researve) and front tank empty.

Good luck and enjoy!

Tim

I have an 02 with f225s. my fuel numbers for long trips are similar. Usually running around 4500 +/- rpms and cruising around 30 mph. I use an avg of 1.5mpg for my basic calculations in good sea conditions. however as we all know this doesn't always happen.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Ran the boat last week for the first time other than the sea trial. Was very pleased. Was in some solid chop for a good hr and the boat ran very well and a good speed. Ended up doing 148 miles for the run and burned 112 gallons. I had full tanks to start and 2 of us. I was in no way trying to get the best economy as I had to make the trip in small window. I was running between 4900 and 5100 for over an hr at one point. Total trip 1.3MPG I think is fantastic based on running hard for a long time and having some decent seas for a good chunk of the trip. Loving the way the boat handled. That afternoon with 6 adults onboard and over a half a tank of gas I hit 38.6kts on the intercoastal flat calm. Just wanted to see what she could do top end. I was happy :D