265 Express Info

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Hello Grady Forum

I am looking at a GW 265 Express and would like some information about this boat. I am not new to boating but have not seen or heard of a GW Express in 26 Ft., I have seen and read messages here for the Express 300 & 330. Any information or comments will help.Thanks

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
These boats have a cult following since they stoped production in 2005 (I believe)

I love mine- I spent a ton time researching boats and this was the one that I wanted -

It is great for bass/blues fishing - big enough to load five guys, gear, ice and bait and head to the NE canyons for an overnight adventure of tuna and shark, while still being small enought for me to take out by myself.

The cabin ammenties are impressive for a 26'er with a seperate head, fridge, stove, ect -

My wife and I have spent up to five days on the boat at local anchorage -

We just love the boat - every time I look at other boats and start comparing them I relieze how much I live mine!

Oh yea - the fish box and live well in these are HUGE!

Here is a link to my logged trips - scroll thru older posts to see the Grady in action!

http://fishingfinattic.blogspot.com/

Tim

tilewave

Reaction score
i have a 2001 265 . i love it. just took a while to get used to how to how to drive it, she can list real hard while underway if you dont know how to control her.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i think they went out in 06/07 when the 30 express came on line. we actually looked between the 26 express and the gulfstream when we bought the gulfstream in 2002. i didn't want to go "bigger" because i was just getting back on the water after being off for about 15 years. as it turned out, my slipmate was in a 2002 26 express. with the bracket, the two were just about the same size, go figure. i really liked the layout and the cabin was way more "spacious" than the gulfstream.

there are a lot more guys here with the express that should be chiming in; i know gradyfish will.

ron

Enough Already

Reaction score
Definitely do a search and read up on the boat. Love my 265 and think its one of the better decisions I have made. Come back with specific questions and I'm sure you will get loads of feedback.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I loive mine....it was one of the last ones built before they made a slight change to the hull in 2003. In 2003 the boat got an interior facelift, adding teak inserts in the cabin, and backrests on the helm bench seats. The hull deadrise changed 1 degree throughout the boat if I am correct, not a huge change but it was done to keep it the same as the other sv2 hulls and not as deep as the original design. The original pre 2003 hulls were slightly more tender on the drift, but would cut a chop and laugh at it. The post 2002 hulls(2003 on) rode great, and eliminated some of the tenderness on the drift, but honestly I've been on both years and can barely notice a difference on the drift, only on the roughest days can I notice any change, I'm talking 6 ft beam sea, but there is a little less roll in the newer hull when it gets that bad, in normal conditions they are about the same. The earlier hull seems to ride better into 2-3ft chop, the newer hull rides more like a 282, with a slight bump, but still a nice ride for this size boat.
Before we purchased our 265 we test drove numerous boats from aquasport, Grady White, Boston Whaler, Pursuit, and Northcoast. The 28 whaler and the Grady were the nicest, the Pursuit wasn't far behind, the northcoast lacked and the aquasport just stinks..its really wet and pounds in anything over 3ft, I fish on a bunch of them with guys in my area and hate them, they aren't built that great either. The other boat we considered was a 28 carolina classic. It has inboards instead of outboards. Space wise compared to the 265 they are similar, but the ride on the CC blows out any of the others, but it burns the most fuel.

The 265 was designed to be a long range runner, to run the canyons of the NE and the gulfstream and lumps in the south. It had more range then most boats in its class and was designed more for day trips, but can handle overnight trips as well. It was more tailored towards fishing then the family, but does not shorthand that unless you need 50000 seats everywhere. The 265's helm is awesome...once you run a boat with a center helm it is hard to go back to a side helm. Visability is great from a center helm and gives you a great perspective, it also makes the boat feel smaller when running it due to the great visability of the whole boat, something a side helm lacks. The notched transom provided the best setup for fishing, and is no problem with standup fishing. I've backed down at 5-6kts without water coming on deck...just a slight trickle....and I mean slight. No waves have put any water in the cockpit, and I've been in 8-10's plenty of times. I've run mine 80+nm in 5-6's without turning back or thinking twice. This season we took her 110nm offshore 1 way, trolled about 6hours, overnighted, trolled 2 more hours, and ran back on 198gals.
The reason the 265 nolonger exists is due to poor planning by Grady. At the time the 265 was offered, there was also a 24/25 voyager, a 26 islander, and a 27/28 sailfish, too many boats in a small size range. Boat sales in these years slowed a slight bit as well, and the 265 was the most expensive of the bunch brand new, which emans the least sales overall of the other models. All of the models suffered overall sales due to too many boats in the size range, making profits harder to come by, something had to be eliminated and the 265 was gone. It is funny, all of those other models were changed to then fill gaps or redesigned(sailfish-to-cheseapke), I wonder how the 265 would have faired since it is one of the most popular used boats in the size range currently, they are often hard to come by, there were not a lot and most owners are very happy with them and do not sell often unless they are moving up in size.

Ask any specific questions, we'd love to help answer them for you.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well Grady fish says it all . She is a fishing boat that has enough comfort features to cruise easily. For those of us that have them we have chosen them over other boats for their very specific features:

Notched transom, Fuel capacity, Livewell size, Killbin size, Freshwater deck shower as well as rawwater washdown, Hardtop with eyebrow and lifejacket stowage, Multiple rod storage, inside and out, Big cockpit relative to length, Extra width, Trailerable(just), Head/ Shower, Compact Galley, Fridge, Reasonably economical, Centre Helm, Pulpit, User friendly forward deck and topsides, Excellent ride, and all in a 26 footer.

And at the risk of sounding biased or maybe just one eyed she is the prettiest outboard powered 26 footer I have ever seen.

Bama96

Reaction score
What year is yours Jekyl? She looks great. When I move up I want a 265. Is there a huge difference between the 265 Express and the Gulfstream 232? Looks like the cockpit space is the same and the beam is similar. Could run twin 150's on the Gulfstream.

LittleMrs

Reaction score
The cabin on the 232 vs the 265 is miles apart. Personally I don't like the bunks on the 232. I loved the berth on the 265 .... I used to put queen sized sheets on the cushions. Tons of space. The enclosed bathroom is a big huge plus. Overnighting on the 265 is fantastic.

Its a great riding boat. I'll miss mine but we just don't go offshore so it was silly to keep that great big fantastic boat for to use in the Intracoastal.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gulfstream and Express have a totally different ride, the Express will ride nicer due to its size. Also, the gulfstream has a bracket making it harder to fish around, and the aft seating is wasted space to a fishermen. The livewell and fish box on the Express are set up way better, and the sink is a nice touch that the Express has over the gulfstream. Also, the Express has hands down a lot more room at the helm and in the cabin. The Express helm will seat 5...good luck getting 5 around the helm of a gulfstream for long runs or for getting out of the elements incase they get nasty. I've fished both and they are in 2 different classes, both great boats but honestly no comparison between them.

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies,a guy passed me on the highway this past weekend with a 265 Express for sale. I called the guy last Monday to get some info about the boat because I have never seen one before. The boat has Furuno Navnet system 24mi radar,GPS Chartplotter, Sounder,Simrad AutoPilot,Horizen VHF, Micowave, Fridge,Hot Water,Head,and Twin Yamaha`s 200 HDPI with 325 hours. He is asking 60K for the boat with the trailer. I have been reading up on the boat here and other web sites and this is the only 265 express I see with 200HP yamahas all other come with 225HP yamahas or Edvinude. My question is the 200HP motors big enough to push this boat and is 60K a good price for the boat? Thanks for everyone help.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
What year is yours Jekyl? She looks great. When I move up I want a 265. Is there a huge difference between the 265 Express and the Gulfstream 232? Looks like the cockpit space is the same and the beam is similar. Could run twin 150's on the Gulfstream.

what gradyfish said.

the beam on the express is 3 inches more. the cockpit is just about the same due to the bracket on the gulfstream (i'll go so far as to say it is "huge", which is what we were looking for when buying). the stern integrated seating is a big plus in my family. you do get the fishability at the bow since the gulfstream is a wa. the cabin for us was basically for the kids to catch a nap and have the portapotty. like littlemrs said, not really a comfortable stay.

in '02, the price difference between comparably equipped models was about 15% (except the express had f225's).

for perspective, i'm a boater that likes to fish; not a fisherman. ron

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"Plum Crazy" and "Bama96" I paid 53,000 USD for my 2000 Boat. She had only 72 hours on her (not necessarily a good thing) and had been repowered with 2003 HPDI's that had 800 hours.
I replaced all electronics with Furuno and Icom. Bought a new All American alloy trailer,fitted Lee jnr riggers, new fridge , head, pressure pump etc.

I had never heard of the 265 as grady's have only recently been imported into Australia. I bought her with only a surveyors report and tons of photos.But she is even more boat than the photos revealed.
In Australia I would expect to get somewhere between $125-150K for her in a good market (whatever that is). Current exchange is around .64c

The hours on the boat were genuine and had obviously been rack stored and hardly used . I broke my own rule about boats which is, buy only well used , well loved boats unless you like lots of work. So I've been working on Tanami lots in the last 12 months and she is really starting to shine.

The 200 hpdi's are a perfect match for this boat and from what the guys say here slightly better performance than 225's. I will use her year round and expect to do 250 hours annually. You should pay less for a 2 stroke 265 with equivalent hours than the 4 strokes.

I look at the prices you guys pay for boats and I'm green with envy. A new trailer boat equipped and fitted out like a 265 would start at $250,000 Aus. But then we've got Kangaroo's and Koala's .....Crikey we're even.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Earlier 265's had 200HPDI's which are a greta engine, and a very powerful engine, they have as much pep if not more then an F225. The HPDI actually has a faster cruise and does slightl;y better on gas, but it burns oil. In the end they will cost the same, but the HPDI powered versions have a little more range. I believe the 200 HPDI's push the boat about 4mph faster then the F225's. There are only a small handful with F200's, not that it is underpowered, but why put the 200 on when the 225 is almost the same engine but will not perform as well on the hull, for the same weight and roughly same fuel burns you could have more power in the F225, it was also an excuse to make more money for dealers, but a justifiable one in my mind. The F225 will reach about 43mph top end depending on how it is loaded, I'd suspect the F200 to be around 40-41mph. With the F225's I cruise from 28-31mph, the HPDI's are 30-33mph I believe, an F200 would be 25-29mph roughly. It is all relative to how you boat and what type of performance you'd like, but none are bad choices.
My previous boat was repowered with a 200HPDI so I know it lasts and is a workhorse engine, but when we bought, for what we paid we were only looking for 4 strokes, if we were around your price range, a boat with HPDI's would have more then satisifed us. That boat has low hours so you have years of use in her, but I'd still recommend a survey. Even though I am in the boating industry, having someone certified to cheak it over can help, our surveyor found the boat had no structural issues, but it had bulbs out, a jammed trim tab, as well as a bent one, and had a bad battery charger, this gave us documented issues to take to the owner to negotiate with and alteast get the issues fixed or partially paid for, that way your final price inculdes a turn key boat that does not need any work.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
My buddy has a 265 with F225's and mine is 200hp HPDI's
We have compared performance under multiple scenario and the differances are not even enough to talk about.

Did I mention how big the fish locker was?!?!?

Here is a 72" mako stuffed in the fish box!

sharkinthebox2.jpg

sharkinthebox1.jpg

And look - 44 mahi fit nicely with ice!

mahi.jpg

Plus they are insulated so we start off with 120 lbs of ice (usually in 20lbs bags a few blocks) and it keep the catch nice and cold!

The HPDI's are perfect power for the boat!

Tim

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I bought my 265 about a year ago. I agree with all the above posts, and can honestly say the more I use the boat the more I love it. I looked at similar sized boats, and what sold me was the amount of usable space cockpit and helm area. This was important b/c my main use is fishing. The ladies also prefers the flat bow area for laying in the sun, rather then the walkaround style on other boats. My only complaint at this point is that the boat is under shrinkwrap for the next 2 months.

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a 2000 265 with 200hp OX66s I bought used in '03.
I think it's the best 26' cabin boat out there outboard or inboard!
It's's fast, rides great and like folks have mentioned has many features
other boats beg for! I really love mine! It's rated for 500hp but I can't imagine really needing 100 more hp than I have. Due to the economy
prices have fallen and you can get this boat for 50% off new list.
Good luck!

Ron

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
I called the guy today to set up a time for this weekend to see and test drive the boat but he is not willing for a test drive or starting the engines due to the boat beening winterized. I explain to him I will not buy a boat without a test ride, he said there are plenty of people who buys boat with out a test drive. They must be crazy.