265 Express Pro's and Con's

Snapon2ldude

Reaction score
Hey
I am going to be in the market for a new-used boat, I like the 265 because I can fish inshore-offshore (Montauk) as well as cruise with the family in Long Island Sound. I had a 30Marlin that had a serious bow steer issue that I could not correct, believe me I spent 17 years as professional in the boating industry and have owned many boats up to a 33 Bertram. So when I see reports of Bow Steer on the 265 I become a little weary, However seems like if you trim the engines up you can get the bow to go up and avoid the bow steer. Also I see that there ia an issue with scupper height and 4 Stroke pwoer. I am looking for what you guys like and don't like. So please have at it.
Thanks
Jeff

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2004 265 with F225s. No issues with the height of the scuppers above the waterline, it's at least 2" with full gas tanks. Drains great. I think GW modified the hull somewhat around 2002 to better accommodate the weight of the four strokes- someone else might know the specifics.

Because it's a deep vee, there's "deep vee wander" at low speeds but no different than other similar vee hulls I've owned or been on. Tracks rock solid at speed. Hope that helps.

Reactions: PapaS

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I have a 2001 hull, just which does have lower scuppers than the 2002+ hulls. I don't think my hull has bad issues with bow steer, it doesn't like a lot of trim tab, and not much engine trim either.

My first test run with the ETEC 250's had some serious chine walk issues at WOT, but 8000#'s at 50+ MPH on a offshore fishing hull design is probably a bit much anyway, so I doubt I'll be doing that too often.

I guess you could call it bow steer, but I prefer to think of steering issues with this boat a simple control of trim and the boat handles just perfectly.

Great boat, I almost let mine go, but I'm glad I haven't, such a great trailerable boat.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Unlike your Marlin, the 265 lacks the aft bunk. This is why I moved from a 265 to a 330. No looking back for me. I love that aft bunk! With the right 3 axle trailer and heavy duty truck (3/4 ton), the 265 can be trailered around which opens options for you. Can't do that with the 30 and 33 footers as easily. Good luck!

eppem

Reaction score
Pro - to many to lists
Cons - aft bunk would be nice...

I have an 03 265 and have never looked back. We use it just as you described, locally in the LIS and offshore when weather permits - great fishing boat and many on the site to offer help to any questions.

Mine actually was hauled 10 days ago, heading to Sono to winterize today.

EPPE

lgusto

Reaction score
Great boats, but the lack of cabin windows in all the express models is a big con for me. I often overnight in new harbors and it's nice to be able to see what's going on without having to leave the cabin.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up a 265 and purchased a new 10,400 lb tandem axel trailer. You all have me thinking I should have picked up a triple axel. I have a F250 v10 6.7l to pull her so that shouldn't be an issue. Am I alright with a tandem axel trailer or should I be kicking myself? Will be making 500 miles tows multiple times a year.

Thanks,
Rob

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I bought a tri-axle for me mine, VA to GA tows are a common occurrence for me.

Recently re-did the brakes to Electric over Hydraulic.......unbelievable performance upgrade.

I have spring axles, bunks and guide poles......all of which are very nice for a big load.

One thing Im noticing more now, as I have been using various ramps that are less common for me, watch out for the pullpit, it will catch your winch post on steep ramps.

Ive weighed mine twice, highest Ive ever seen was 10,600#'s. Thats total; trailer + boat weight. My trailer is rated at 12,600 capacity....so Im well below the limit, but it sure is nice having the extra beef at 70MPH!!!!

Good luck, definitely check into EOH brakes, I wish I would have done that from the start. Cost me about $1300 to upgrade (DIY installed).

HMBJack

Reaction score
"Hey guys, just picked up a 265 and purchased a new 10,400 lb tandem axel trailer. You all have me thinking I should have picked up a triple axel. I have a F250 v10 6.7l to pull her so that shouldn't be an issue. Am I alright with a tandem axel trailer or should I be kicking myself? Will be making 500 miles tows multiple times a year. "

>>>> I can not imagine towing a 265 500 miles on a two axle. If your trailer is really "new" - I would try and do a quick upgrade - but that's me. Call the Dealer you bought the trailer from as now is the time to do this. Better for resale too IMHO.

I once moved my 265 50 miles on my 3 axle and that was a little scary. I didn't have a truck as stout as you however. You certainly have the right truck that's for sure. Good luck!

dale1

Reaction score
I just picked up a new to me 265 on Saturday. We picked it up in Fort Lauderdale Florida and brought it back to Dublin Georgia. No problems no issues. I purchased a new loadmaster trailer the day before the trip and it pulls as easy as my 24 foot boat with a tandem axle trailer?
The new trailer is a 12500 lb, triple with 6, 12" brakes.
I have a 2008 F250 with single rear wheels and it pulls without any problems at all.

I went with the 265 over the 282 because of trailer ability:)

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Purchased the trailer from Sea Tech in Miami, and don't think its possible to get a new axel installed. The boat is in Ft. lauderdale on its way to San Francisco, Ca, so making that haul will be a good test :D . Jack I am keeping her in dry storage in Tom's lot at PP. So I'll see you around the harbor.

I think I'll be alright to make hauls down to San Diego. Fully loaded which I would never tow her that way she is about 8500lbs with 2strokes, gas, water, and ice. The brand new trailer has 6 1/2 I beams with twin disc surge brakes on each axel. I think I should be alright with the v10, or just need to keep telling myself that :-|

HMBJack

Reaction score
Hey Rob,

I look forward to meeting you! I'm in slip D-10 near the Harbor Patrol boats.

Good luck with the tow. - Jack

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Were getting quite a few 265's out here on the West Coast! Gonna have to get a yearly gathering together. I will trailer down to fish the early salmon with you guys.

fish_hunter

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Model with 2010 Mercury Optimax 250s. Love the boat. lots of room for the family for San Juan island cruises and I take it 50+ miles offshore for Albies. This boat flies with the 250 Opti's. 50+ mph.
things that I think could be better:
-in really heavy seas passengers have a hard time staying seated due to no rear backrests on the port and stbd seats, they keep sliding aft.
-having a hard time trying to figure out the best place for a inflatable dinghy for island cruises.
-I just bought the boat from a friend last year and put about 100 hours on it last season, but docking this boat keeps kicking my ass. moved up from a 2101 seaswirl striper (also great boat) that was a breeze to dock. I just need more practice i guess!

other than the above issues (very minor) it is the perfect hard core fishing boat and great for the family.

fish_hunter

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Model with 2010 Mercury Optimax 250s. Love the boat. lots of room for the family for San Juan island cruises and I take it 50+ miles offshore for Albies. This boat flies with the 250 Opti's. 50+ mph.
things that I think could be better:
-in really heavy seas passengers have a hard time staying seated due to no rear backrests on the port and stbd seats, they keep sliding aft.
-having a hard time trying to figure out the best place for a inflatable dinghy for island cruises.
-I just bought the boat from a friend last year and put about 100 hours on it last season, but docking this boat keeps kicking my ass. moved up from a 2101 seaswirl striper (also great boat) that was a breeze to dock. I just need more practice i guess!

other than the above issues (very minor) it is the perfect hard core fishing boat and great for the family.

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Were getting quite a few 265's out here on the West Coast! Gonna have to get a yearly gathering together. I will trailer down to fish the early salmon with you guys.
I just picked up a 265 express and put twin 300 Suzuki’s on it and it’s unreal.

bac0701

Reaction score
I just picked up a 265 express and put twin 300 Suzuki’s on it and it’s unreal.
post up some pics of your rig. was thinking about 300's since i saw your post. looks great in the small little pic on the side

Twin 300’s

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I will send more soon I’m head down this weekend to the cabin and put 6 - 5gal Jerry cans in the back to see if the scrubbers will be under the water line once it launch it. Plus 2 coolers and a few people see how she runs.