265 Express Question

girt

Reaction score
I have purchased a 2001 265 Express and have a few questions regarding the handling characteristics. To begin with, I really like this boat. The layout is very well done for fishing and has enough of the comforts for family as well. My question is around the "bow steer" that has been mentioned in some other posts. I have the trim tabs all the way up and if used, it is very minimal. I start out with the motors trimmed down to get on plane and then trim them up to get the bow higher out of the water. I have noticed in a quartering sea that the bow tends to grab and lean to one side. I had read this in other posts but the suggestion to correct the issue was the trim tabs and trim of the motors. I mainly notice this when over taking another boat and crossing their wake. Does anyone have another suggestions?

Girt

eppem

Reaction score
Lots of here to help 265 past and present owners here to help - do not overtab - rule # 1! Lite taps on the rockers to adjust..hit those throttles and go! Owned mine since 06 and never looked back.

tilewave

Reaction score
hello,
- in a quartering sea i sometimes will give it a little trim tab to counteract and keep the bow cutting in the sea on course.
- when overtaking another boats wake i will turn into the wake at more of a perpendicular angle and power through. youll get that initial bounce but then be in good water and not rolling back n forth
hope this helps

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Like others have well documented, just use the tabs to control side to side list. She is very sensitive so go slow a little at a time. If you find the bow is digging in you may have to trim the engines up a little bit to lift the bow up a little. In certain situations more power/speed will get her out of the water more and smooth out the ride.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If its running smoothly and not beating you up, I'd let it lean into the quartering sea and not fight it.

captain swag

Reaction score
I also have a 2001 but with 2012 Merc Opti's. From the second you get on plane start trimming the motors up. The vee, if allowed to dig into a wave will cause it to steer port or starb. Sometimes to a significant degree. Takes some getting used to. It will not happen if the motors are up enough. Like others have also said, go light on the tabs. That hull is very sensitive to weight shift. Balance onboard weight and caution passengers to remain where they are and not change places as this will cause a marked list and will require frequent use of the trim tabs. Remember to reduce trim on low side as a first solution before using more trim on the high side. I have trimdicaters that show the position of my tabs so I have an idea of roughly where each tab is at position wise. Enjoy that boat. I don't have any more problems with that issue. Its just something you will learn from experience running it.

girt

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone's input. Like I mentioned, I really am pleased with the boat but I came from a Grady 272 and the sensitivity is different. in the limited time I have had it in the ocean, I have noticed that it seems to cut the waves better in rough seas. Not that the 272 was a bad ride by any means.

By the way, for those with the earlier 265's, I installed seat backs on the port and starb passenger seats for those who are considering the same project.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21953&start=0