265 Express Replacement

firefisher

Reaction score
What replaced the 265 express? I really like the style and look of the 265 Express. I noticed that the last model appears to be in 2005. What replaced it? And Do you recommend buying the older model 265? 2001-2005

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
The 265 Express was built from 2000 to 2005 and it was dropped because of poor sales.

There is some dissucions on why it had poor sales, most focus on it being a high priced 26' boat.

In my opinion, there is no replacement.

This boat is a tighly packed, well thought out fishing machine. This boat was not designed for cheese, crackers and wine with your friends. It was not intended to sleep four guests. If you want that is a 26' boat look elsewhere.

I have said this before, it is my belief that this boat is one of the best fishing boats in its size IF you want to do long range, blood on decks, blue water fishing!

I love mine!

I documented every trip from last year on this blog:

http://fishingfinattic.blogspot.com/

Tim

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 265 may go down in history as the most controversial GW model. It was an attempt at "fish first, cruise second" and featured a 21 degree deadrise. Interesting, the deadrise was dropped to 20 after customer complaints of tenderness. Most GW owners simply do not want deep V hulls.

AFAIK, it was also the first GW hull to feature the express style and center helm. The legacy lives on in the 330, 360, and now the 305. We had one at our marina owned by a nice fellow who fished his hard, both live bait and gulfstream. His main complaint was that the boat was a tad short in the cockpit. He also had lots of problems with the HDPIs fouling plugs.

I have always felt it was a great looking boat and featured an amazing amount of space for a 26' boat. The 305 is essentially the replacement (depending on your viewpoint). These may one day become somewhat of a cult boat like the 31 Bertram on a smaller scale. Most owners really like the boat despite lagging sales. I have heard VERY few negatives aside from the fact it is no longer made.

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a '00 265 I bought used in '03.
It's a great boat! I agree it's the best 26' cabin boat out there!

NO mine's NOT for sale!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While conisidering an upgrade to our 208, we've looked close at the 265, the 272, and 282. IMHO the 265 is one of the best looking Grady's ever, and it's very nicely laid out for fishing. The cockpit is huge and access over the back of the engines is the best of all the models. We really liked the helm layout as well.

The model is very highly thought of throughout the Grady owners community, it's beamy, heavy, and an excellent sea boat. If the layout suits you then there are some excellent buys out there, all of the years are good, you can't go wrong. The last year, 2004, came with 4-strokes and have less deadrise and the scuppers were raised to accomodate the weight of the motors. That model will tend to run closer to the $100K mark. The earlier modes with HPDI's can be had for considerably less, and frankly I think they are an outstanding value. For a repower a pair of Etecs would be outstanding while keeping the weight down on the transom.

That said we have eliminated it from our consideration for these reasons:
There is no dinette, the fridge is under the v-birth. Wifey really wants a real cabin to duck into.
There are virtually no side decks which our three pomeranians use whenever they are along. Dumb reason I know, but we love our dogs too. The express model design does not feature the recessed walk-around side decks like the other walk-around models.

The 272 and 282 suit our needs better with a nod to the 282 for the aft berth for our teenage son. The 272 gets the nod for it's road-legal beam as we trailer, or at least plan to continue to, on a limited basis.

The other models we just fell in love with are the Albemarle 268 and 285 Express. They are a very different type of boat though, with inboards and tons of deadrise. Great layout, but no side decks either. There are very few out here on the west coast though, they are very expensive, and I'm still torn about giving up outboards for a big V8 inboard or two. Diesels are way out of our price range.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
There is no dinette, the fridge is under the v-birth. Wifey really wants a real cabin to duck into.

That is funny. My wife said the same thing when were looking for boats.
I didnt listen! :shock:
Tim

Conjuror

Reaction score
Mine too...I went from a 208 to an 05 265...a great move...best fishing boat out there in its class

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I agree that the 265 is one of the best looking GW's built and has everything one would want considering its size. Great bang for the buck if it fits your need and seams to have 28’ features and size in a 26’ boat.

It's an inboard style boat but take a hard look at the Carolina Classic 28. I have been through the factory, watched them being built and driven one. I was very impressed with the boat the company and the owner. They are a spin off of Albemarle from 10 -15 years ago, really know their stuff and in my opinion make a much better product than Albe does. We vetoed the boat as it was too orientated to fishing and did not have a walk through transom, a deal killer for our use.

cscott

Reaction score
I got an '04 265 about 3 months ago and have used it more than I used my other boats all of last year. It's been a blast. Had it out in every major windstorm this winter, fun. It's outstanding to fish out of. Have been catching a fair amount of salmon on it. I would recommend this boat. If I were going to go for performance and possibly save a couple of bucks I'd go with an older 265 and put E-Tecs on it. They are great engines and very light. With 250's it would fly. Best of luck!!! cscott

firefisher

Reaction score
cscott said:
I got an '04 265 about 3 months ago and have used it more than I used my other boats all of last year. It's been a blast. Had it out in every major windstorm this winter, fun. It's outstanding to fish out of. Have been catching a fair amount of salmon on it. I would recommend this boat. If I were going to go for performance and possibly save a couple of bucks I'd go with an older 265 and put E-Tecs on it. They are great engines and very light. With 250's it would fly. Best of luck!!! cscott

I was thinking the newer model so I could put 4 -strokes on it. But the E-tec's are a good idea.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
firefisher said:
I was thinking the newer model so I could put 4 -strokes on it. But the E-tec's are a good idea.

It is my understanding that the earlier ones will take the weight of the four strokes, and they are rated for 500 hp. The problem for me is that the scuppers are under water, I have personally seen this. I am not comfortable with the scuppers below the water.

If I ever repower mine, I will look into twin F250's, but I will also remove the scuppers, glass the penetration area over and move the scuppers up about three inches. This is the same location that the 2002 and up models have them.

Tim

firefisher

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
firefisher said:

It is my understanding that the earlier ones will take the weight of the four strokes, and they are rated for 500 hp. The problem for me is that the scuppers are under water, I have personally seen this. I am not comfortable with the scuppers below the water.

If I ever repower mine, I will look into twin F250's, but I will also remove the scuppers, glass the penetration area over and move the scuppers up about three inches. This is the same location that the 2002 and up models have them.

Tim

Thanks Tim.
A great idea. Aside from the scuppers , the only real change I see on the newer model is the seats. The older ones can't be reversed.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
IMHO the 305 is the replacement to the 265. The cockpit is not much larger and you really do not gain that much. Out of the four ft you gain on a 305, 2.5 of it go to the transom area. A little is seen in the helm and cabin area but no huge step up. Only real difference is the huge price tag on the 305. If you are looking to move up, I have to agree the 28 carolina classic is a great boat if you like inboards. I would stay away from jackshafts, although they are very efficient, many have been known to have issues and the I/O drives require a bit more maintenance then you will be used to on an outboard of then an inboard will require. Really all depends with what you are used to. Also, the Southport 28 can be compared to the 265 express, similar layout and space but much more expensive. I would love to see Grady come back with the 265 model or something similar, and from responses on here from owner's you would think it is a no brainer. Only problem is that when the boat was sold, numbers just did not justify keeping the model and to bring it back would take a HUGE influence from buyers to even have a chance of the model coming back. We won't see it soon but anything is possible down the road as boaters needs and wants change.

firefisher

Reaction score
I'm going to checkout two 265 expresses this week. If I like the layout, I'll try and do a sea trial. From what I've heard on here and pictures, I think it will fit my bill for now and possible the next few years till I feel financially ready to make the move to the 330 express. I was at the New York Boat Show on Saturday and when I visited the GW booth, I came upon a group of 4-5 Grady personal, I asked them if them had any comments on the 265 express and all at once they said " We Love that Boat, ITs our favorite Grady"

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 305 is a foot wider, has the aft cabin and 50 gallons more gas (but similar range) and a couple thousand more pounds. A better comparison may be to the old Dolphin without a bracket. The 265 does have one hell of a fish box under the helm!

GW's in general are fishing boats that can be used for family use. The 265 was built more for the fishing in mind than the family so the typical buyer looked at the Sailfish, Islander, or 273/283 instead.

You can move the scuppers up 3 inches and still have them drain?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
firefisher said:
I'm going to checkout two 265 expresses this week. If I like the layout, I'll try and do a sea trial.

I am out of Ct and the boat gets put in the water end of March.

If you want a ride, you are welcome to hop the ferry to Groton, and head out for a day of fishing!

Tim

firefisher

Reaction score
Do you think there would be a noticeable difference between Yam F-225 and F-250's on the 265? I know someone selling one with new F-250's.

cscott

Reaction score
I was told that the 250 should have noticeable difference if ran with higher octane fuel. I think it is much more available at marinas on the east coast. Out here in the NW there it is rare to find super unleaded fuel on the water. The 250 will run on the lower octane, but you don't get the HP (the engined is designed this way)... If we had more higher octane I would want the f250's. You will have a great boat either way. The boat is pleasantly surprising with the 225s. scott

firefisher

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
firefisher said:
I'm going to checkout two 265 expresses this week. If I like the layout, I'll try and do a sea trial.

I am out of Ct and the boat gets put in the water end of March.

If you want a ride, you are welcome to hop the ferry to Groton, and head out for a day of fishing!

Tim

Tim,
That would be great. I would really appreciate that. PM me when you get close and count me in,.

George

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The weight of the 225 and 250 is very close. On some hulls, the 250 will run better and more efficient. Not sure how it matched up with this boat, but an F225 is plenty of power. If you want a 30kt cruise, I'm sure the F250 would get you there. I would test drive the boat but I do not see any considerable difference between the two, the boat can handle the power and is rated for that much. The original design came with 250 ox66's so the power is not an issue.