265 Express , starboard vent window replacement?

SeaVee

Reaction score
We were running pretty hard this weekend and my starboard vent window went bye bye. Did not see it happen just noticed it when we got back in the Inlet. Any ideas on where to find a replacement?
TIA,
SeaVee

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
We were running pretty hard this weekend and my starboard vent window went bye bye. Did not see it happen just noticed it when we got back in the Inlet. Any ideas on where to find a replacement?
TIA,
SeaVee

I believe I got replacements from marine glass specialties, I think they used to be a sponsor on here too. It wasn't cheap either. The hardware I got from my local Grady dealer. You may have to remove the opposite side one to make a template.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
TIA,
SeaVee
Did you lose the hinge or just the glass and attached hardware?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think TaylorMade did the glass for the GWs. They may sell parts.

Heckler

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
TIA,
SeaVee

I just joined this forum and it was timely.

My 2001 265 Express w twin 200 HPDI's in need of its second vent window.

I replaced the port window a few years ago with the help of Marine Specialty Glass. The starboard window was lost in a similar manner as you described just a week ago. So I am back to doing it all over again.

It is not an easy shape to define by anything other than a template, but considering it has the extruded aluminum shape that serves as half the hinge, the template may not be an exact representation . The best way IS to remove the remaining vent and send it as the template

(The port vent remains in good working order with new hardware the limits the open travel and locks it all the way shut.)

Since my last experience with was about 4 or 5 years ago. I have just sent a message to the owner, George, at Marine Specialty Glass and hope his reply indicates that the parts ( glass, hinge and closing hardware) are available and he would be happy to help.

Be happy to let you know what I learn.

Thanks Sea Vee

Heckler

P_S I saw a number of posts on the 265 Express when first logged in but can get back to them them (Any clues ? ). It appears that the issues are common and it is good to see how others have dealt with this model as it ages.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Heckler

P_S I saw a number of posts on the 265 Express when first logged in but can get back to them them (Any clues ? ). It appears that the issues are common and it is good to see how others have dealt with this model as it ages.

In upper right of screen you can Search Forums. Use Keyword "265" and check Search Titles only. That gets you anything that has 265 in the title.
After that, you can search for 265 in the text of the thread, but that can be daunting.
Avoid searching for "265 express" in text or titles because it will find "express" in unrelated threads
If the creator of the thread tagged it "265 Express" then you can find it searching Tags. If all the 265 guys tagged their threads relating to the 265 then we can all find them more easily.Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 9.31.01 PM.png

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
SeaVee, I just went through this. Am still actually going through this I should say. I think it depends how old your hull is.

As Heckler stated, if you have an older hull, contact Marine Glass Specialties (813) 926-3717
They recently made me a vent window and metal hinge after I lost mine on the highway going from boat storage to boat launch.

I called Grady White, they referred me to Taylor Glass, who gave me the lead to Marine Glass Specialties.

I gave George the model and year of my Grady, and he cut the new glass and tooled a new hinge without any template from me. I also bought the handles from him too. I am in the process of getting new vent seal gaskets from them now for a clean install.

Here is the bummer...the glass and hinge part was $350. I was surprised how expensive it was, but as SkunkBoat said if you lose the hinge you are SOL.
As I recall the glass is green tempered 3/16" thick.

I decided to pony up. Trying to keep boat as close to OEM as I can. Choice "B" (cheaper route) would have been to get glass cut and permanently seal that puppy shut.

Lee

Last edited: