265 Express w/ 200hpdi's

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gradyfish22, what year was the F225 introduced? How about F250?

The 150/175/200 HPDIs were well established in the marketplace long before any F was given birth to. The success of the HPDIs was the final nail in the OMC (ie FICHT) coffin, so Grady had to cut a lifetime deal with Yamaha, the only outboard motor company who wasn't screwing up product at the time.

So, when the F225 came out, the yamaha plan to replace HPDIs will Fs for the saltwater market were thrust upon Grady, and they just followed the order. One F at a time.

The higher priced 265s with Fs have to be newer boats, that explains the added price, same goes for the Sailfish, and any other model with an F where an HDPI was in prior years.

The boat is a 2000, making the engines 9 yrs old, any motor 9 years old has diminished to little valve, I'd say 75% of their original price is gone. So the $10k can't be a difference, when any two aren't worth that much to begin with.

If the OP wants Fs, he has to go newer boat model year, or find someone who repowered.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
late 2002 is when F225's were introduced to the 265 model line up. Both HPDI's and F225's were offered for about a yr and half then just F225's. I do not know of many F250's, have seen 1 or 2 F200's, but might as well go F225 at that point. I was basing my 10k difference off model years where both engines were available and an even field(hull) can be used. This is the amount I saw when we shopped, and we shopped for over a year before we bought our boat 3 seasons ago.

But for the 2002 and 2003 year where either engine could be bought and they overlapped, prices were about a 10k difference between them, I agree the added cost of the 4 stroke added to a bit of that difference and do see your point.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When the F225 came out, it was selling for a higher price than the 200 HPDI, after all, it has over 100 lbs of added complex machinery, it should cost more. It was priced several thousand more per motor than the HPDI which had been out a while and being discounted by then.

Once the "gotta have the new F thing mad rush" buyer group faded a few years later, the selling price of the F225 backed down from MSRP, which means the boat/motor price backed down that amount too.

The only reason an F200 was ever used even today, was when the hull limitation was 200 or 400 HP respectively, or when leftover/overstock pricing made it an incredible deal.

The same fate has befelled the F225 so the reason it is used today is either because of a 225 or 450HP hull limitation, or an incredible deal in leftover/overstock pricing.

The F250 is the lone V6 survivor for good reason.
For staying power, it has a long way to go to approach the 200 HPDI.

Yamaha is working on, as I heard, a 4 cylinder 200HP F, to get back what they are loosing from Suzie's 175 which will also serve to complete their SW product line plan - to knock off the venerable 2 stroke 200 HPDI since the F200 failed to get the job done as the original plan of a decade ago expected.

When the single head, lower weight, cost effective 4 cylinder 200 F appears, the F150 will fall to the same fate as the F200/F225, and be used either because of a 150 or 300 HP hull limitation, or an incredible deal in leftover/overstock pricing.

Did I say this was IMHO ?

eppem

Reaction score
I am reading this and sipping coffee and saying to myself ...tim "fishfinatic" is the guy you need to speak to..(of course he already posted)...tim and i talked alot, we run the same boat, pretty much the same layout, difference is he has the hpdi and we run the four strokes. We have compared notes (i was wondering the difference) and they are pretty close...

My chime in, we bought our boat used, it was not a repo but a boat that sat for almost two years...its was filthy, not used and just needed some tlc. My concern was the fuel, it was actually a non issue, aside from the color changing, i was able to pump a bunch of it out by hand via the ball primer and i also made a siphon that is stuck thru the sender hole and was able to look at anything that might be under the good gas (water, crud, etc)...it was really ok. Hindsight is 20/20, the VCS, (if i am calling it the right thing), has some crud in it, probably from sitting..(thus our efficiency gph, etc was not so hot) and one of the injectors was clogged. Yamaha stood by their product, engines were still under warranty and although fuel is not technacaly a warranty issue, they worked with us and supplied all the parts (all new injectors) at no charge, we had to pay some labor but it was a very fair offering. I noticed a huge jump in the fuel economy and have never looked back, VERY happy!

Good luck with the boat, you will see there are many here to help.

Bill_N

Reaction score
So Marc, What happened with the deal on the 265? If you get the boat in the 30's it's an absolute steal. I had a signed deal on tha same boat last year at this time for 50k but there were a few issue that came up at sea trial and the owner did not want to fix them so I moved on. We ended up buying an '02 model and it's a great boat.

Bill

Reaction score
The deal seems to be getting a little wierd. The broker as yet to get the engines to a mechanic for inspection (on their behalf) and has not given much inofrmation until the reports come back. The info I got was the bank has considered my offer as fair and wants to move foward. I have been trying to set up a survey of my own but have not had much luck in that. I would like to know the first report of the engines before I travel and reserve a marine surveyer. One of those deals that seem to good to be true. I am tempted to offer a real low ball offer for a "as is" motors and just survey the hull and go from there. The good (maybe bad) news is I will not try to relocate back to the Southeast for about 18 months, so I do have time to search.

Marc

Reaction score
The deal was to good to be true. Contacted the dealer today to find out what was the hold up and why can th eengines not be inspected? Turned out that th eport woul start and not rev and th estrb would not even crank. some one in the mean time offered $30,000 as is where is and the dealer took the offer. Oh well. I guess I will keep looking.

sickday

Reaction score
I had a similar experience out here in California. A broker in stockton is selling a 2000 265 with the HPDI's. 200 hours per the broker. The boat is listed at 39k! I looked at the boat, but was not thrilled at the prospect of a project boat. It was filthy, and not well cared for. One of the young salesman at the brokerage said that the engines were making "wierd" noise while in reverse. For someone with a little know how and free time this could be a screaming deal.

Here's the link for the broker, the 265 is half way down the page. (In case your still interested in a long range purchase) Good luck in your search.

http://www.wescal.com/listing_pg.html