265 Express Which Fuel Tank Cruising?

captain swag

Reaction score
Just started going offshore on our 265. Last two trips had the MAIN tank filled (approx. 1000 lbs fuel) The Main is the forward tank. Since this hull is notorious for bow steering, wouldn't it make more sense to fill the rear most AUX. tank to allow easier bow lift? Would this cause the stern to squat? Make it harder to stay on plane? Any input from fellow 265 owners appreciated. :hmm

fish_hunter

Reaction score
On long tuna trips (50 miles ) I go out on the aux tank (rear tank) then come back in on the forward tank. All the fish caught will compensate for the aux tank fuel burned. Plus I'm already heavy aft with ice. I usually have more fuel in the rear tank also.

eppem

Reaction score
Just my opinion but the main (front tank) is my day to day tank. 130 is plenty of fuel. I burn the back tank down until the gauge lite blinks and then toss a bunch of ring free and stabil in it. Back tank is only used for long offshore runs and when full the boat sits very squat. Plus I would think you would want the weight in the center of the boat?

I store the boat like this over the winter too. Front tank full / back tank as close to empty as possible. So far (knock on wood), no issues but I am only on the hard for about 10 weeks per winter.

EPPE

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I basically do what eppe does above. However I will put some fuel in the aux tank at every other fill up, then burn it off first. Just to keep things fresh in there. Don't normally fill her all the way up unless we are going on a long trip, or planning on a lot of use in short time period. I try to run her light if I can.

Lucky13

Reaction score
I have been running both tanks the same and have had the boat for a short while. My tanks are tied to different engines. I can switch them to the other engine but keep them seperate so if there was ever bad gas it was only going to one engine. Have been filling it back up so I could get a good idea on burn numbers.

So far happy with the boat rides even heavy.