265 Owners

Grady678

Reaction score
I"m considering moving up from my Gulfstream to 265 express 2001 year and would appreciate any feedback. Twin 200 Yamahas. Are the engines far enough apart to Reverse/Forward in tight spaces? Water in aft backing down due to removable transom section? Are the Z200TXRZ engines good/bad reputation. Thank you!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm not sure how much of a "move up" that is compared to the gulfstream. more like a 2footitice. thoroughly explore it so you are not disappointed and wind up moving up again in a year or two. going 29 0r 30 (or more) may be more of a "move up". just a thought. a bunch of guys will give you the lowdown on the 265. ron

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What do you expect with the move? It will handle seas better but not be that much larger. The different helm will offer more seating, the transom section is pretty tight, I think the Z's are HPDI's so VERY good rep.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I upgraded from a 228 to the 265 and love it. Going from a Gulfstream to the 265 will be less of a jump. As to the twins, I find the forward and reverse thing to spin the boat is not effective. The best guy you should get feedback from is Tom (Gradyfish). He was super helpful to me when I was shopping. Good luck!

Enough Already

Reaction score
I have a 2001 with 225 OX66 motors. You might want to take a ride and see if the 200s get you up and going as fast as you would like. Extremely happy with my 265, spins on a dime and very maneuverable. Folding transom works great and can be tension adjusted. Have never had mine fall when backing down. Wanders a bit at low speeds due to sharp bow and wide beam but trim the motors right and the boat runs great at speed. Pretty much at size/weight limit if you want to trailer. Get some specific questions out there and we'll get them answered.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
My 265 has the twin 200 HPDI's - plenty of power - cruise fully loaded with 5 guys, ice, 250 gallons of fuel at 28mph-

Cruise light on fuel and just one passenger at 32 mph -

Can hit 40mph if needed -

I moved up from a 25' Trophy to the 265 - so that is 1 foot larger on paper - but a world of differance with the boat -

Cabin is amazing - fish locker and live well are amazing - range and seas worthyness is amazing - cockpit space (due to wide beam) is amazing -

I start to look at new boats and start comparing specifications and always bounce right back to my 265 -

Tim

GW

Reaction score
This is great feedback and is leading me to rethink my choice. My 2003 gulfstream Dry weight is 4,100 pounds (I think new ones weigh 400 more) and the 264 I believe is 5,600 dry weight. The weight alone I thought would be dramatic in performance, but, length may not get me the ride I was looking for. The Marlin is going to exceed my 10,500 truck limit for trailering so I guess the next alternative is a used 272. When I board the 272, it, just doesn't seem much larger than my gulfstream........maybe an Islander will get me the ride I'm looking for. Thoughts??? More specifically, I'm looking to slice through 3-4' seas at moderate speed......don't we all. Must have stand up cabin and room to sleep 6'2". Thanks for replies and keep them coming if you don't mind.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seeing that you have trailering limitations, if you haven't gone thru the 265, you should. it is definitely bigger than the 232 and you do get a more comfortable cabin. the new 29 chesapeake might bring you right up to your limit. won't be able to get 2footitice after that. ron :lol:

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not familar with the Gulfstream, haven't seen one over here.

I noted you are interested in 2001 265 which has the 22deg deadrise so should give a better ride. I had 200hpdi's and they are awesome motors, perfect power to weight, for the 265. Unfortunately we melted a piston so repowered recently to F225's.
These are a little less torquey than than the 200hpdi's but lots quieter and should last a lot longer plus they are greener(that's my guilt factor being relieved).I have just put 4 blade props on and we're seeing 40 knots and around 1.8 mpg lightly loaded.
The helm and the notched transom appear to be the biggest differences between the 265 and the Marlin or Sailfish (both excellent choices)

The twins spin easily dockside not quite so good if you are working a fish in a moderate sea.

All round as a trailerable vessel with comfort, economy, performance and the all important fishability. I haven't seen anything else I like better.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GW said:
maybe an Islander will get me the ride I'm looking for. Must have stand up cabin and room to sleep 6'2".

Close on the stand-up headroom, and a definite NO on 6'2" stretching out on an Islander.

Get a Marlin, get ride of the truck, and keep the damn boat in the water, where it belongs... :D

SlimJim

Reaction score
GW said:
This is great feedback and is leading me to rethink my choice. My 2003 gulfstream Dry weight is 4,100 pounds (I think new ones weigh 400 more) and the 264 I believe is 5,600 dry weight. The weight alone I thought would be dramatic in performance, but, length may not get me the ride I was looking for. The Marlin is going to exceed my 10,500 truck limit for trailering so I guess the next alternative is a used 272. When I board the 272, it, just doesn't seem much larger than my gulfstream........maybe an Islander will get me the ride I'm looking for. Thoughts??? More specifically, I'm looking to slice through 3-4' seas at moderate speed......don't we all. Must have stand up cabin and room to sleep 6'2". Thanks for replies and keep them coming if you don't mind.
I had a 265 and loved it. It likes to run fast and is a great fishing boat. I am 6'4 and even at 6'2 I do not think you will be able to stand up without bending your knees. Thats one thing I did not like about the boat. If I were you I would jump from the 232 to the 300 Marlin or the 33. Or stay with what you have.

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a '00 265 I bought in '03. It has t200-OX-66's . The boat is rated for 500 hp! My numbers are close to FINattic's .
When I was shopping I was very interested in the Gulfstream and if I had come across one I might have bought it. As it happened I saw the 265 at the '03 shows and the affair began....
The cost of a used 265 then was less than a new 232 so I went used and never looked back!
I really liked the layout of the 232 Gulfstream! It is undeniably the BIGGEST 23' boat out there and with twins could go MOST places/conditions my 265
could but not all. The Islander is as long as the 265 but has a 8-6 beam so I think it would be a lateral move for you being used to the 9-3 of your 232.
The 265 with a 9-6 beam gives you more length and beam, so it will feel bigger to you than the Islander.
I'm sure you don't have to be told of the features the 265 has if you've been on one. For pure fishing and range the 265 has the Islander beat!
guys with T-250s go 50mph WOT!
I know some guys suggested going to 28-30' but you mentioned towing limits!
If I were rich I'd get a 36 Express with triple 350s and a 360 Canyon runner to fish on "warm" days!
I'd have a separate non fishing (non -grady :cry: ) boat for entertainment...

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As far as HPDI's, they are one of the most reliable engines Yamaha has ever built in the 150-200hp range, larger hp had issues due to a different block design. Range will be better then 4 strokes, and cruise speed will be faster, overall operation cost of 4 stroke vs hpdi will be the same when you add in oil burned from a 2 stroke, but less fill ups needed for the hpdi, and you can get places faster on less fuel. Yamaha has fuel burn numbers on their website for both engines to compare if you wish. As far as spinning the boat, you will need to power in reverse harder the forward and practice, but it does spin with a slight crab to it, it will not spin on a dime like an inboard, but no outboard will, it is more like a spin with maybe 1 ft of movement for every 15-20 degrees of turning would be my estimate, but the boat is nimble, plus the center helm gives you great view for manuveuring, and also gives the boat a smaller feel when operating it. The aft motor well is dry, I tuna fish and back down at times on marlin and tuna, can do 6mph with no water in cockpit, at 8mph you get a small trickle from the corners where there is no piano hinge, but it finds the scuppers located right below them so no water build up ever. We backed down on a fish this year and had to watch stuffing my engines under waves more so then water on deck at the rate I was going. Gate never falls down as long as you have the 2 clips tightened right, it will hold anything you throw at it. The ride is good, a step up over the gulfstream from sheer size and weight, but handling is similar over all, you will handle seas slightly better but not an amazing difference. What you will gain is much more cabin space, and easier passage at the transom when fishing, also more seating at the helm for the crew to get out of the elements. Headroom, there is just 6' of head room, I'm 5'11 and can stand up straight, if my hairs long it might touch the liner above, when short or normal I do not, so if your over 6' you will slouch slightly, but honestly how often are you in there standing? The v berth is avg size, if your taller you can put your feet on the sink portion and it basicalyl extends the length for once person also. From a layout standpoint it is a lot more boat, ride wise you will see an improvement but only in relation to size, a 2 ft jump is not a huge one, typically 4ft is the industry standard for those jumping up, but in smaller boats every 2 ft you do get a bit more boat. No matter how big you go in an outboard powered boat under 30ft, its still an outboard powered boat so sheer hull weight is the only advantage and change, they all ride similar, some boats better then others due to hull design, but all similar in the end. The 265 hull is very dry, much drier I find then most other Grady models, it is rare that I see spray on my windows, it usually takes a cross wind at over 15mph to get spray on the boat, or really nasty seas. As far as capability, they can handle more then we can, I've run mine 110nm in 5 ft seas to the canyon to tuna fish with out thinking about going back, just need to find the right trim angle and speed and your set. The 265 typically likes tabs up and engines up, but in a small chop she likes tab down a little I've found. Just need to play around and get a feel for its sweet spot. Also the boat runs better using the main and leaving the aux empty, otherwise burn the aux off first always. As with any purchase, sea trial it to be sure its what you expect. If you have any detailed questions or further questions feel free to pm me and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can. Best of luck in your decision to move up!!

tilewave

Reaction score
i have a 2001 265 w 200 hpdi,s and again have pretty much same numbers as " finnatic & ronzo ". another great feature unmentioned to this boat is how the motors are tucked so close in, that really proves to help out alot when when u have big fish on.

Grady678

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks again for the feedback and some comedy thrown in "keep the damn boat in the water where it belongs and get rid of the truck". I've come up with a solution. There are more options than narrowing it down to a single vessel. I'm going to search used private owner Grady's and drop into a couple Grady dealerships and find the best value. I'll keep you guys posted!