265 Repower (w/ ETEC 250's)

Salinity Now

Reaction score
So, aside from the sun not rising in the east in the next few weeks, Im finally ready to put some power back on my boat. Havent done near what I thought I would have accomplished in regards to "projects" at this point, but I guess thats just how it goes. I did replace scuppers, re-did the transom cap, and a few gelcoat fiberglass cracks that needed repair prior to install.

So my question is, has anyone with a 2000-2001 hull repowered, that did not raise the scuppers (3") like the 2002+ hulls have? And if so, did you have any issues?

I had OX66-250's, by the specs they were 493#'s each + roughly 25#'s of oil, Im looking at a total weight of about 518#'s (x2).

A Suzuki DF250 weighs 580. A ETEC 250 weighs 524 (plus oil). A 200HPDI weighs 475 (plus oil) and as a fair comparison for the redesign 2002+ hulls, the F225 weighs 583.

I really want the DF250, Im looking at ETECs as back up (price and availability pending.....) and a not so far off 3rd option is a set of used 200HPDI's.

Does anyone have experience with heavier motors on the "pre-four stroke" hull?

Thanks for any feedback, Im really hoping to be on the water in time for a Striper trip of NC coast in January!!

Enough Already

Reaction score
Re: 265 Repower (espcially those with 2001 hulls)

Ping jekyl or do a search. He re-powered with Yamahas and posted up a lot of info a couple of years ago.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305

If you are not set on Yamaha power, you may want to look at the optimax's. I think there is member who repowered his 265 with them. If memory serves he had pretty favorable numbers. Another option may be the new Yamaha 200's which should be lighter then the df250's you mentioned. Did you call Grady to see what their recommendation is?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

x2 on the new 4 cylinder 200 Yamis. An honest 215 at the prop...plus you may be able to reuse some of your rigging and controls and save some $$$.

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Thanks for the info everyone. I talked with jekyl, he is a similar situation, trailers the boat, so the weight of the 4 strokes wasnt a big concern for long term sitting in the water. He said his drains just fine.

Things arent working out as good as I had hoped for the new Suzukis, and I know i wont be able to afford Yamaha's (plus I sold off ALL of my rigging, so I have to start from the ground up).

So looks like the sun is still rising on this.....just mostly cloudy right now!!

Thanks

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

If you go the E-TEC route you won't need 250s - the 200HOs will be plenty. It is essentially the same motor but tuned to 219HP. The weight is the same as the 250 but the price is less.

Lucky13

Reaction score

I have an 01 hull that was repowered before I purchased it with F225's. The scuppers have not been raised. I can give you additional info if you would like it.

Sea Shift

Reaction score

I have a 2001 with 2006 Yamaha 250's. I have not raised the scuppers and have had no problems. They are lower but it makes little difference esspecially when on the water.

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Thanks for all the feedback guys, my hopes of the Suzuki's fell thru, but ironically may have opened the door to a better set of 2009 ETEC 250's, only 370 hours, original owner in great shape. They are being mounted now, hoping to get the boat back before I have to back offshore to work for 3 weeks.

Gonna look weird having white motors on a Grady, but hey if i can improve my fuel usage by 100% (I was getting 0.9nm/gal on my OX66 250's) and have a quieter more dependable motor......I think I can get used to white!!!

Hoping to make a new picture/performance post soon.

Thanks,
BW

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Several on this site have repowered with E-tec including myself. I love mine and hope you the best with the repowered.

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Dropped it off today at local ETEC shop, I ran all the rigging, binnacle and key harness etc this weekend myself. NEMA 2000 is gonna be really cool, looking forward to that. But I left it to the dealer to finish and hook everything up correctly (steering, linkages, sync up gauges etc).

Not sure how the four blades are gonna work out, but if I can average a solid 2nm/gal. I will be very happy with the performance.

Gonna be 3 more weeks till I get back to it, cant wait!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,979

RAINMAKER

Reaction score

Hope they work out well for you. Love the 265. If I didn't have a 282 I'd have a 265!

mronzo

Reaction score

Wow! I would love to repower with the 250 Etecs on my '00 265! I've heard/read good things about them!
My t-200 '00 OX-66s are still running real strong though and my boat is fast enough for me!
I've always been curious about what it would be like to have 100 more ponies at the transom though!
The 100 extra horses I've read would give it a top speed of 50mph! E-tecs or not those extra 10mph are going
to cost you (me), though it would be less than t-250 OXs!
Good luck and tell us how it goes!

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Salinity Now said:
Gonna look weird having white motors on a Grady, but hey if i can improve my fuel usage by 100% (I was getting 0.9nm/gal on my OX66 250's) and have a quieter more dependable motor......I think I can get used to white!!!

White looks great on the back of a Grady 8)
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=23&image_id=645

Make sure your RPMs are in the optimum range with those props...

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Yeah I cant wait to get back to it, first trip out should be on Dec 5th at Lake Lanier.

As for the 4 blades, I was concerned about that too, previous owner of motors had em on 31ft Ocean Master CC, bracketed boat. He wanted more stern lift and that did the trick. I like the idea of getting the bow down on the 265 with props and no trim tabs, but as we know its a sensitve riding hull as is, the last thing I need is for props to make it worse.

I figured I would loose on top end with those 4 blades, but make up for it on reduced RPMs required for midrange cruise. Im hoping for 3800RPM and 33MPH for optimal cruise (purely guessing based off similar boats and reporting)

I had my OX-250s up to 50MPH one day, should see better with these I hope!!!

I was shocked how quite these motors were at idle, just a tiny bit more than my previous boats F250, just enough to know they are running, but not near as loud as HPDI's (that I thought would be comparable)

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning......dying to get home and take it out!!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score

Any updates?

Salinity Now

Reaction score

Only update is that Im now only 9 days away from getting off this Oil Rig and headed home.

Should be picking up the boat on Dec 5th for inaugural test run out on Lake Lanier.

Dealer contacted me last week, most everything is good to go, they had to do some modifying on my existing NEMA 2K network, as I had a Garmin 4210 that I already had a network for and wanted to input engine and tank data in to, but ETEC's use a separate power for NEMA network supply, no biggie, just a modification. Also had to get a kit to modify my existing steering cylinder kit to Evinrude vs Yamaha and a new tie bar too. But for the most part, should be good to go.

10 Day forecast looks like 50* w/chance of rain and light winds.........I see 2.3MPG in my future!!!!

(granted, that wont last.....because the boat will never be as light as it will be when I run it, but its a great way to start!!)

RAINMAKER

Reaction score

Sounds good. Keep us posted :D

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Got to run the boat today, shake down cruise with a very light boat, only 40gal of fuel, no gear, 2 batteries no enclosure.

Best cruise I saw was about 31kts, 4000 RPMS, 1.6nm/gal.

Top end with 4 blade props, 44kts at 5700 RPM's.

My normal cruising speed in 3' waves (typical Atlantic sea state) is about 26kts, I was actually getting only about 1.4nm/gal then.

So it's not 2.0, it's gonna get worse when I load it up, but it's better than 0.9nm/gal I was getting.

The torque is amazing on these motors, hole show is what it must feel like getting launched off a carrier, the 4 blade props just make this boat jump on plane it was enough to make the owner of Gwinnett Marine laugh out loud and grin ear to ear. 8000#s powering out like a bass boat. It was amazing.

Biggest improvement I saw was the idling and trolling economy. I couldn't believe at idle, they were only using a combined 0.3 gal/hr......that's insane. My OX66's were 3.0+ gal/hr at idle (combined total). Trolling at 5-7kts was showing almost 5-6nm/gal.

It's gonna take some more finesing and I had to get a few things corrected, but it should prove to be an amazing set up, they are slight louder than I expected at idle, the Garmin NEMA screen set up is great, just need to tweak it too. The ICommand guage, eh......leave a bit to be disered, in hindsight i wish I'd of bought two Garmin GMI-10, the white background of those would be much better.

Got a lot of work to do to get the boat back to offshore ready, but it's off it a great start!!

BTW, hats off to the awesome crew at Gwinnett Marine in Atlanta, they are professional, helpful, and went out of their way to help me put this boat back together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 2,361
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 2,362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 2,362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 2,362

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those are beauties, reminds me of my old johnnies, all white matches anything.

By the way, since oil tanks are well forward of the center of gravity weight wise, means little. Engines CG are well aft of transom, 4 strokes valve gear added machinery 100 lbs plus the furthest aft of all.

It was ETEC 200HO vs. 200HPDI (or bust) for me in my day.

Wanted the HOs, but Yamaha at time allowed full off the shelf to customer sale incl all rigging, gauges, etc. I penskied rental and trucked home the two motors and everything, I liked that job doing it all myself incl fire and blast off. Pep Boys motor boom hoist that's about it and saved a nice bootie. Even sold off the two Johnnie smokers and rigging, tanks etc.

ETEC dealer quote must have trained technician and zero value on 1992 Johnny 200s.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still can't figure out why I should pay + $$ adder for (4 stroker) dead weight complex machinery valve gear 100 lbs plus per motor.

Watch it dropping the hammers on a holeshot, might blow a hole in the sea and burn up the props boiling the water !! HeHe

And are you sure you are stating it right as knots instead of mph? If so, Whoa! - the 265 is cranking wind in her hair, bat out of hell !!

She's breathing fire now.