265 repower

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Its time to freshen my baby up a little bit and I'm looking to repower my 265 with new engines. Most likely going to go with "new" mechanical F250s. Boat is an 02, and these will be replacing the original F225s. I have not seen many of these boats with the F250s. Is anybody running f250s on a 265 and what are your real world speed and fuel numbers. Don't expect many to be out there because the 250s came out right around the time of the demise of the 265. Also who has experience with the new digital controls Yamaha is now using on their new line of engines, and command link plus. is it worth it to upgrade?

Enough Already

Reaction score
jekyl on this forum completed a similar repower and has posted a lot of info. Do a search + send IM for some quality input.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went with F225's, as at the time F250 would cost $10,000 more and the newer lighter motors hadn't been released. Would make sense to go with lighter more powerful motors tho'. Of course price will be more than leftover F250's.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
thanks for the reply Jekyl. For 2011 yamaha is offering the new model 4.2L engines and in addition they will still be making the former F250. The new engines are referred to as electronic for the 4.2L and the older style is referred to as mechanical. My original dilemma was to go with the new technology and replace everything. or go with the old reliable technology which would allow me to keep all controls, gauges etc. Initially when I started look around for engines there was a large price gap between the two options. As I have talked to more dealers, the prices have changed and the gap has gotten much smaller to around 2%. hoping someone has done a similar repower. Also curious about fuel efficiancy claims of the new motors, but we will find out.

CWOT

Reaction score
drbatts said:
Its time to freshen my baby up a little bit and I'm looking to repower my 265 with new engines. Most likely going to go with "new" mechanical F250s. Boat is an 02, and these will be replacing the original F225s. I have not seen many of these boats with the F250s. Is anybody running f250s on a 265 and what are your real world speed and fuel numbers. Don't expect many to be out there because the 250s came out right around the time of the demise of the 265. Also who has experience with the new digital controls Yamaha is now using on their new line of engines, and command link plus. is it worth it to upgrade?
I am curious about how many hours you have on your original engines.
What is life expectancy before SMOH, a major engine overhaul.
I have been looking at ads for 2002-2005 GW - 25 to 30 feet, all with original engines.

thanks

runeme

Reaction score
I am running a 25 sailfish with the original 94's. I would be interested in buying your 02's when you re-power.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
CWOT the life span of the F225 has yet determined. it was one of the original four strokes, and there are a lot of them still running well. As time goes on we will see what the ultimate killer will be. I can honestly say these were the best motors I have owned. they start up every time easy, they have always run great for me with routine maint/service. mine have about 900hrs on them. I just don't want to deal with any problems and increased maintenance that are involved or can happen in running older engines. There is nothing worse then loosing part of a season to problems, been there done that. I cannot afford a new boat so why not make my boat new :) .

runem- i will probably be trading them in as part of the deal, If i don't i will let you know.

CWOT

Reaction score
drbatts said:
CWOT the life span of the F225 has yet determined. it was one of the original four strokes, and there are a lot of them still running well. As time goes on we will see what the ultimate killer will be. I can honestly say these were the best motors I have owned. they start up every time easy, they have always run great for me with routine maint/service. mine have about 900hrs on them. I just don't want to deal with any problems and increased maintenance that are involved or can happen in running older engines. There is nothing worse then loosing part of a season to problems, been there done that. I cannot afford a new boat so why not make my boat new :) .

Thanks for the reply,
I know that a mandated major overhaul on my Continental IO-550 engine is 1700 to 2000 hours.
I was curious if that was a safe number for outboards too.

I agree that if you can afford the upgrade it is a good idea, I replaced my boat's original 1990 motor in 2006 along with all the gauges, wires, hoses, hydraulic controls and electric systems. The new motor and gear made it feel like a new boat and the upgrade was far less than a new boat.

Bill_N

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has 1300 hrs on his 2003 F225. Still runs like new.

If I was going to repower I'd go with the new 4.2L engines in 225 or 250. A pair of 225's seems ideal to me on this hull. I think if you buy the older 250's you'll regret it in a few years.