265, Sailfish, Marlin - Ride, Stability

liinw8

Reaction score
I'm researching my next boat and have zeroed in on these 3 models. I've read past comparison threads and I have a handle on most of the pros and cons of each, but I'm looking for more specific feedback on the differences in ride and stability. My closest reference frame, since I don't have experience riding on these particular Grady models, is my having ridden and fished in various conditions on a friend's older Grady Explorer 24 and on another friend's 330 Express. I dislike the ride underway of the Explorer, and at drift or anchor I even more dislike the way it rocks and rolls (almost like a roll/snap, and it seems like the center of gravity with the hardtop is too high). My 23' Scout center console rides much better and is much more stable, even though it's considerably lighter which surprised me. In comparison, I love the ride, stability and everything else about the 330, but it's too expensive for me. For Sailfish and Marlins, I'm looking at 1997-2003 (depending on the power), and any year 265. Having read past threads and posts, my sense is that the Marlin will ride and handle much closer to the 330 than the other 2 models I'm looking at, and the Sailfish and 265 will ride much differently with possible slight or subtle differences between them in terms of ride and stability. I know the specs for each in terms of deadrise, length and beam, but for those with actual experience beyond what the specs suggest, what can I expect in terms of the differences in ride and handling? I assume the main comparison is between the Marlin, on the one hand, and the Sailfish/265, on the other hand, and any subtle differences between the Sailfish and 265. Again, I'm trying to move beyond the specs to those with actual experience, especially since the specs are inconclusive given that the 265 is sharper deadrise, which suggests a better head sea ride and more tenderness than the Sailfish, but is wider and shorter, which could work against it especially in the ability to span waves with less hull in the water and could also mean more bow steer issues than the Sailfish. Also, I read Captain Swag's recent posts where he says the best way to run the 265 is by always keeping the bow up (even in a head sea?), and I wonder if by always having to run bow high, even in a head sea, you lose the ability like on most boats to tab the bow down which usually helps the ride in a head sea. Also does the 265 have to run with the bow up more than the Sailfish in similar conditions? Does the 265 land softer than the Sailfish? It will be very difficult for me to sea trial these models on the same day or in identical conditions, and even then, it would be difficult to zero in on the ride differences between the 265 and Sailfish without considerably more hours on each, and subtle differences might make a big difference when I point the boat south from the Fire Island inlet for a couple of hours spent climbing waves on the way out or following them on the way back. Thanks, Ed.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have owned a 272 and now have a 300. The Marlin does indeed handle more chop better since it is alomost 4K heavier. We had a 265 at our marina for a while. You could feel the 21 degree deadrise difference just walking in it at the dock. I have fished on a 24 degree boat and could barely keep standing in beam seas.

I am a big fan of the 300 since it basically improves the few aspects I didn't like on the 272. Mainly the space between helm chairs, helm area, and fishbox access. The 272 is still a great boat if the 300 is over you budget.

In terms of ride, the Marlin will take WAY more than I am willing to tackle, as will the Sailfish. In fact I wound up in honest 4-6 beam seas years ago in my 272. We tossed a lot of water and made only 16-18 kts but I never felt unsafe. We were eye level to some white caps so I know it was ROUGH!

Of course we just had our first sail release and couldn't wait to get back to the dock so we could raise the flag!

liinw8

Reaction score
Thanks that's very helpful! It sounds like the Marlin is the perfect hull for me and my next boat IF I'm willing to compromise on 2 stroke power and live with the additional noise, smoke and fuel burn of the OX66's, which I'm skeptical about coming from a single 4 stroke. Otherwise, I'll have to get some time on the Sailfish and 265 on the ocean to see if I like their stability and ride, since there are a lot more of them repowered with 4 strokes (or HPDI's) in my price range. Thanks again, Ed.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I own and Sailfish and if I could have afforded a Marlin I would have bought it. But I really wanted 4 strokes and had to settle. Which is funny to say because I do love the boat and it will take as the previous poster has said way more than I would go out in. You may only do 20 knots going home but she will get you there and safe. I agree with the room between the helm chairs on the Sailfish it is way to small and I made it better by removing the arm rests. It is now not that bad. For the ride I do not have 265 experience but the Marlin is better than the Sailfish especially while drifting. The extra beam helps in a bunch of areas. Good luck in your hunt.