265 vs 282

dale1

Reaction score
Greetings.

I just baught a 2002, 265 express, with f225s this year. I really like it. the more i use it better the better it gets. the wife and i have slept over 3 times this year, and will do it more this fall. "mine has A/C"

My original desire was a 282? the reason was, i want the option to sleep over, have "2 bunks" for the grands, and have a family oriented boat.

But, I was afraid that i would not be able to trailer the 282. So far this year, ive made several trips with the 265. over 3000 miles. weve had no problems at all. I'm not afriad to pull it anywhere. you just need the right trailer, EOH brakes, the right truck, and patience. Truck stops only for fuel, mostly interstate if possible. The 265 express, and 282 sailfish are similar in weight and heigh and probably have similar trailer characteristics. "aerodynamics etc"

I think I want a 282 ??? Questions. 1. does anyone trailer a 282 continously? 2. is the 282 as good as the 265 in rough water? 3. does anyone sleep in the rear bunk? 4. Does anyone sleep on thier 282 requalarly?

thanks in advance,
Dale
478-272-3650

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In regards to trailering, the only thing to be aware of is that in most (if not all) states you are considered "overwide" and technically need permits. But that is also the case with the 265. Weight-wise, they're pretty close. Wet weight is probably similar to my Sea Ray Sundancer and I tow that all over the place. BUT, the Sea Ray retains a 8'6" beam which is the legal limit in most states.

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have an 2005 282 but keep it in a slip. We're in Southern California so our overnighters are to Catalina Island, a 26 mile trip. I'm 6-1 and my wife is 5-7. The midberth can handle one of us at a time. Anyone taller than 6-1 wont be able to extend their legs. It's a comfortable spot with the least rocking. A little bit of body contorting to get in and out...at our age anyhow. Small kids would have no problem. We have a cover that extends from the rear of the hardtop to the transom. If we needed to bring more adults, we'd either put cots or an inflatable mattress in the cockpit and use the cover as a tent.

I've never been on a 265 but the 282 is seaworthy to say the least. We've been out in significant swell/chop and although you need to hang on, the boat is solid, safe and very dry in the helm area.

fishbust

Reaction score
I looked at both when shopping. They are night and day in every way. It was an easy decision.

I know someone who trailers his from fla to ny and back for snowbird commutes. He uses a dually diesel pickup.

dale1

Reaction score
Fishbust.

does he trailer a 282 sailfish, and do you know if he sleeps on it often?

do you trailer your 272?

thanks
dale

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We overnight in my 272 - wife gets the V-berth and I take the mid-berth. I'm 5'9" and have no problem down there.

I don't trailer mine but may consider doing it in the future.

fishbust

Reaction score
dale1 said:
Fishbust.

does he trailer a 282 sailfish, and do you know if he sleeps on it often?

do you trailer your 272?

thanks
dale

I do not trailer my 272, which after 1998 is the same hull as the 282.

My friend does not sleep on the 282 as far as I know, they are retired but put many thousands of hours on engines. He repowered his 272 a couple times and then went with the 282 because his 272 was pre-1998 and wanted to switch to 4 strokes. He has no problems towing with the full size dodge pick up and he does travel a long way.