265EX - Pulling fridge for Xtra storage

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I thought I would throw this out to see if anyone has gone down this road. I have an 04 265express which I keep on a mooring. Initially I thought I would be doing an occasional overnight with the wife on it, she prefers whatever hotel is nearby.

SO - the fridge that is in the boat now, does not seem to work, or work well, and it really is much easier to just use the cooler on deck than deal with the up and down. I am thinking of pulling the fridge and putting a door there to use for storage, which as in any boat I have owned, there is not enough of. Has anyone done this? Is this just a stupid idea? And is it more of a PIA than it is worth?

Bill_N

Reaction score
I'd leave the fridge in place. I don't use mine either as a rule but if you take it out and sell the boat a buyer will want it. Not sure how much more storage you get out of that area eiher. If you use the compartments under the bed and toss a few bags on top how much more do you need?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I agree with Bill on resale, but I did replace my fridge last season and was surprised on how much room is in the hole when I had the old fridge out!
Good luck!
Tim

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a Norcold DE-0740 AC/Dc that switches automatically, it is not as quiet as I would like, but it works great. Would probably find a quieter model, on a do over.

Enough Already

Reaction score
I don't know guys - I'm with the original poster on this. Never use my fridge but I think it works. For me, Its just xx pounds of extra weight to be carried around. I have thought about ditching it and making extra storage as well. Pretty sure SSI would make something that fits nicely in the hole. Sure - resale might be an issue for a very detailed and sophisticated buyer but for practical use, seems like a nice fitting, color matched storage bin would be really nice.

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
I dont see why you wouldnt be able to rig something that allows you to replace the fridge should you sell it. I use mine almost every time I use the boat. For me it works really well for stuff i'd rather not have submerged or tipped over in the drink cooler. The AC/DC fridges are a pretty penny to replace I would definitely do some research before you buy. Access to the AC unit for my boat is behind the fridge.

mronzo

Reaction score
I've thought about removing the fridge and microwave too!
Mine only work on shore power anyway! I use a cooler for food and
it fits in the 300Qt. fishbox! Currently I keep 2 gal of Yamalube in
the fridge! I don't know about you guys but most times i probably have too much crap
on board anyway!

tilewave

Reaction score
on my 265.. i pulled the fridge that was never used. made great storage. ( keep my life raft in there). easy to do also. i installed a pc of 3/4" plywood, (stained teak & few coats of poly) on floor. then i glued a light brown carpet (same colors as the fabric in boat) on the 3 walls. i left the ceiling alone since u cant see it. this season i plan to finish off the outside/ entry with teak molding and leave it open , or canvas & snaps as a "door". very easy project btw that area is about 36' deep . i was going to make a cabinet & install but i decided to just maximize all the space, its more like a cubby now

Bill_N

Reaction score
I can see the case for pulling the fridge out. I'd hold onto it and reinstall it prior to selling though. There is never enough room on a 26' boat no matter what you do. I'd be leery of putting my raft in that space though. As much of a PIA it is to keep on deck that's where it should be if you're offshore. I put mine on the starboard side of the helm chair pushed as far forward as it will go.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would never think of getting rid of the fridge on my boat. Its great for sandwichs and other food that always get soggy, or end up floating in a cooler. I'll also use it for drinks and other stuff we keep separate from the bait. I could no doubt use the space that would free up by getting rid of the fridge but im in no hurry to remove it. If you do remove yours, i agree hang onto the fridge because when you sell it the next owner may want to put it back.