268 Islander info needed

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
Howdy all, I hope everyone is staying safe.

I am looking at a 1998 268 Islander, and wanted some thoughts on the model. I've owned a 228G and two 232Gs, so I'm intimately familiar with the way they're built. Any known problem areas to look for specifically on the 268, or have they been pretty solid? TYIA

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Probably the transom cap like all grady’s that have that design. You coming from two bracket models never had to deal with it.

Jimod731

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Howdy all, I hope everyone is staying safe.

I am looking at a 1998 268 Islander, and wanted some thoughts on the model. I've owned a 228G and two 232Gs, so I'm intimately familiar with the way they're built. Any known problem areas to look for specifically on the 268, or have they been pretty solid? TYIA
I own a nice 1999 islander. Love the boat. I have twin Yamaha 150’s and hardtop. I would highly recommend having both. Boat is way too big for one 250 engine and really nice to have a second engine if one goes down. Happened a few times .

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
Model
Gulfstream
I own a nice 1999 islander. Love the boat. I have twin Yamaha 150’s and hardtop. I would highly recommend having both. Boat is way too big for one 250 engine and really nice to have a second engine if one goes down. Happened a few times .

Thanks for the feedback. This one has been repowered with 200 Etecs (I'm a die-hard Evinrude fan, so it's OK), and is immaculate. It also has a hardtop and several other options (except the extra fuel tank, which is a bummer but I can make it right). I guess my main concern would be with the transom, because I typically lean towards boats with a Grady Drive bracket. I didn't know if they had the typical rot issues due to the top cap seal being compromised.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
1998 uses XL greenboard. It wont rot, but can delaminate. If the transome is not bulging on the outside or inside, no cracks along the inside, and you can stand on the anti ventilation plate without flex, go for it.

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
Model
Gulfstream
1998 uses XL greenboard. It wont rot, but can delaminate. If the transome is not bulging on the outside or inside, no cracks along the inside, and you can stand on the anti ventilation plate without flex, go for it.

TY for that. You mean standing on the cavitation plates of the motors (lower units), correct?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If I'm not mistaken, most of the GW boats of that vintage have an aluminum brace embedded into the transom connected to the stringers.
I'm not sure if balsa was used in the sidewalls and if the hatches and deck used greenboard, so be sure to investigate those properly.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am thinking next year I am going to fabricate a stainless transom cap. When I do, I will make a few extras and if you get it and want to replace yours, you can send me the exact measurements and I'll send it to you. In for a dime... if I have one made, may save money to make a few extras.

Will not be till this winter or next year, but offering so if you get it, don't replace it with the cheap old aluminum one.

R

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1998 Islander bought .I decided to repower it however upon further inspection I had to replace the transom that was completed rotted .Transom is some type of plywood with aluminum in between total repair cost $7000 .Great boat thought the investment was worth it considering the replacement cost.Make sure you have it inspected first for moisture if no issues take cap off and have it properly sealed .Good Luck

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1998 Islander. I had to redo the transom on my boat also it all Delaminate. Feel free to give me a call or your local you can come look at mine. We made several changes while putting to back together.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yikes two 98’s needing transoms. Maybe not all 98’s had greenboards?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If greenboard gets saturated, it will delaminate when it freezes.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a '97 268 with twin Yamaha F150's. Owned it since 2008 with no problems.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 2002 Islander. They are really a nice all-around versatile boat. No one makes anything like it anymore. Good luck finding another trailer-able walkaround with a cabin and a head. Everything now is dual console and center console.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 2002 Islander. They are really a nice all-around versatile boat. No one makes anything like it anymore. Good luck finding another trailer-able walkaround with a cabin and a head. Everything now is dual console and center console.
Shhhhh. Don't let the cat out of the bag till I find one for me!;)

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My boat had no indication that the transom was wet at all. Took the motors off to replace that bang strip and the entire transom was delaminate. no rot at all.

Attachments

• CA01C99D-5F53-4D94-A5E7-3CDFBFC34D29.jpeg
    CA01C99D-5F53-4D94-A5E7-3CDFBFC34D29.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 41

Islander268GW

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 98 with no known transom issues...what did you repower with? I've thought about doing that but unsure with the weight of the 4 strokes...would love twin 200s as I know the boat is rated at a max hp of 400.