268 Islander Transom Issues

ElMar

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 268 Islander and have found a few to look at, one I will see next week sometime.

This Particular one is a 1999 and in my research I found Grady switched to Evergreen? (rot resistant plywood) for their transoms around 2000. Can someone familiar with the line explain that to me and how effective it is? Is it an Urban legend?

I know Gradys, as well as other plywood core boats can have problems in the transom, is the 268 Islander one that typically has problems like a classic seacraft or mako? And if so what to look for, can it be inspected while still in the water i.e. access, ect. Plywood stringers too?

Finally, I notice some 268's have and integrated bracket type of arrangement where the running surface stops 2-3 feet before the transom and some have the running surface extend all the way back to the transom where the outboard is bolted, with what looks like virtually the same boat. Why is this? better or worse?

One more thing, what specifically should I check out on these models (268)? any known issues to Gradys of this vintage (99-2002)?

I did a search, couldn't find anything or totally missed it.

Thanks everyone.

Pics added to show different transoms.

Attachments

• 268 transom flush.jpg
    268 transom flush.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 36
  • walkaround_268_islander_19969726.jpg
    walkaround_268_islander_19969726.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't answer when GW went to the different, improved, wood ply for the transoms. Call GW Customer Service and they will let you know.

The 268s had the bracket and shorter running surface until, I believe, the last year or two of their production, when the running surface was extended all the way to the engine mounting area. The 270s all have the full running surface. Again, CS can tell you when this change was implemented.

The max HP rating on the 268s with the shorter running surface is less than those with the full running surface. There is less stern bouyancy with the shorter surface and those boats can easily submerge their cockpit drain scuppers if engine weights are increased significantly on a repower.

ElMar

Reaction score
Thanks Ocnslr. Looks like I should just Pm you with all my questions.

Lol.

I figured this being a Grady forum more people would know about the line.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe the no-rot wood was introduced in 2000. The earliest brochure I have is 2002 and it is talked about in there. I think it is a treated marine plywood (similar to PT for decks).
The no-rot wood was phased out over time on model by model around 2011 I'd estimate. It was a quiet transfer so not to get into what boat has what construction debates as I understand it.

Reactions: Zebulon

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Green board was used on transoms in 97. 98 and up had transoms and stringers with all green board. I'm not sure if all other wood was replaced by green board in 98.

ElMar

Reaction score
Thanks. Going to look at my first Grady this week sometime, any pointers on what else to look for specific to Gradys would be appreciated.