268 Islander??

stevecti

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for my next boat, on a tight budget. Thought I would ask around and hopefully get some opinions/answers.

After some research I quickly found that the Islander's layout/options should meet my needs very well although average prices 40-50k are way out of my ball park.

I'm upgrading from an older 23ft center console with twin i/os. I do any and all work to the boat/engines myself as I'm pretty handy and comfortable with most engine I/O work. Not rebuilding but general stuff/resealing drives, etc

I've never had an outboard, but if it's carbed and if I have a good manual I think I could perform repairs without too much trouble.

I'm looking for a multipurpose, closed transom, trailerable rig. Something that will allow anything from family picnics/fishing/raftups to a few 50-60 mile offshore trips per season. The islander seems up to all of this. I like the 8'6 beam for towing short distances.

I've found some seemingly good prices on a few 268 islanders. These have original engines but seem to be lightly used with very low hours considering. I've never run/worked on outboards and wanted to get some thoughts / ideas here.

I don't understand why you see so many repowers/ powerheads on these engines. Poor maintenance? Just not built to last? Or do other people just have that kind of money?

From what I've read the 1995 envinrude 175 ocean runners are pretty good, reliable engines. One of the boats i'm interested in has these.

I know they will drink a lot more but wanted to get an idea on fuel/oil usage/speeds with twin 175 ocean runners on the 268 islander with 200gal fuel.

Any other likes\dislikes with this model.

Anything to check in particular on this model? Are they prone to any common failures?

Thanks in advance.

The boat seems to fit my needs (wants) very well. I need to trailer, would like twins

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased a '95 (Islander) three years ago and have not had any structural issues. Some cosmetic things have needed attention like the hard top edges peeling, pulpit needed refinishing, fish box cover edges cracking but in general the boat is very solid. Moving up from the 20' I assumed the ride would have been better but I really have nothing to compare it to. Check the transom cap and transom area carefully as this is prone to water intrusion. The brass scupper tubes in the motor well also will deteriorate and seep water into the transom. I did have a soft deck area(common in this vintage) but I was able to repair this myself. If you purchase an older model, be advised that there will be issues that need attention such as those listed.

This really is a stable platform for all uses (except family camping) and I like the bench in the cockpit. The enclosed head is nice with the ladies aboard. I would have liked the newer model with the fold down seat but it was out of the price range. I specifically looked at dual outboards for improved handling and reliability. (but higher maintenance costs and fuel use) If you look around you may be able to find an older hull that has been repowered recently. (mine had HPDI motors with 60 hours) and I paid about 43K. Prices should be much better now. It is a buyer's market for sure.
Be sure to negotiate especially with the older motors and definately have a survey performed by a person aware of the Grady issues.
I believe mine had Johnson OB as the tilt/trim switches are still there. I can not comment on the durability of the Johnsons but assume they will give it up soon if they are 15 - 17 years old. Twin 150's are nominal but aduquate and 175's -200's optimum. 4 strokes are not recommended on this hull as per GW.
It sure is nice to be able to tow it home at the end of the season and perform my own maintenance.
Besides that, it is a fine looking vessel.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Islander

I bought my '97 Islander 268 about a year and a half ago. It had been repowered with Yamaha F150's. The newer hulls (2000? up) have a bottom the goes all the way to the transom to support the added weight of the larger four strokes (175/200). The boat had Yamaha Saltwater Series engines on it.

Trailered it to FL from NJ for Feb '08 and '09. It's a big unit to trailer long distances but with the right vehicle its not a problem. My Ford F150 does it but a F250 diesel would be a better choice for these long hauls. Shorter runs a gas truck would be fine.

Last year a '98 Islander with hardtop, twin 150 Johnson's and trailer sold in the low 20's in Cape May. One bad powerhead. Weathered, bad coaming pads, no shine on the hull. The boat was poorly maintained. Listed for $44,500.

I still see many of the same boats for sale that I looked at in Oct. '07. Find one you like and make an offer. Given the current market you may be surprized.

stevecti

Reaction score
Thank you both for your input. Good to know particular areas that have possible issues. I would be trailering with a dodge Ram 5.9 but only short distances. max 15 miles, usually 4.

I'd still like to get a better idea on fuel consumption with these older carbed engines.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
stevecti said:
>snip

I'd still like to get a better idea on fuel consumption with these older carbed engines.

My guess is they'll burn about 8gph each, at cruise.
And they smoke :)

BTW, for the old motors, the HP-I oil from Amsoil does really well at eliminating the blue smoke, and they run a lot cleaner as well.

FWIW, I really like the Islander model, was looking actively for one last year. The market sank so I hung on to my 208. I think they are a great boat although I never got to go out on one.

It would certainly be a max-load for a little pickup. Consider HD shocks, a trans cooler and synthetic ATF in the auto and synthetic diff fluid. I would look at the gear ratio too, if its got stock 3.23's I'd opt for a ring and pinion change to at least 3.73-3.83's. You may even need a heavier duty hitch - I think they come with a 5K lb capacity. You're going to be closer to eight grand loaded on a trailer, and a lot of windage.

*26.8 Ilander

Reaction score
STEVE, I HAVE A 1997 ILANDER THAT ILL BE SELLING THIS YEAR IT DOSE NEED SOME WORK.
I BOUGHT THE BOAT FROM A BANK ON A REPO DEAL ITS GOT A CLEAN TITTLE. IT HAS TWIN 200 EVENRUDE FITCHES THAT CHECKED OUT 120 PSI ACROSS ALL CILINDERS WITH 400 HRS ON THEM.
THE ELECTRONICS ARE OUTDATED THE BEST THING ON THE BOAT WAS THE RADAR BUT SOMONE STOLED THE SCREEN THE RADAR DOME DOSE WORK I PUT ALL NEW CUSHION ON IT AND PUT ABOUT 5000 IN TO THE MOTORS. MY PLAN WAS TO GET A YEAR OR TWO OUT OF THE MOTORS THEN REPOWER. OTHER THINGS HAVE COME IN TO PLAY SO I WILL HAVE TO SELL THE BOAT IM ASKING 25,000 FOR THE BOAT AND 3000 FOR THE TRAILER WITCH IS A TRIPAL AXAL 10,500 POUND TRAILER.YOU CAN CALL ME IF YOU OR ANY BODY ELSE IS INTERESTED THANKS STEVE

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
I love my 01 Islander and have had no problems in 2 years of ownership and 250 hrs. of use. I have 200 hpdi's on mine and I burn app. 8GPH per engine @ 28/30 knots. I think carbed engines would burn a good bit more based on my past experience with carbed Yammys and OMC motors.

I would suggest staying with a twin setup. Grady rigged a lot of these boats with the 250 HP OX66 and it is a lot of boat for that single motor.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also owned a 1995 268 Islander. It had a '95 Yamaha 250 which pushed it just fine for me. But I would rather have had twins for security being I used it offshore. The hull is one of the best... it could handle rough seas really well. Good luck with your decision.

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Islander 268

I have a 98 Islander and love it. It is my first boat and I find it easy to handle, reliable, and gives a nice ride. I have a single OX66 250, and just replaced the power head. It had 1600 hours on it. I agree with many of the earlier posts, it does smoke, but pushes me along at 30 KTS no worries. I do agree I would rather have a couple of 150's than the one 250, as that is a lot of boat for one motor, but it seems to work. Good luck, I love mine!!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Probably 10 GPH each.

The RAM is a full size, the Dakota is the mid. For a 4 mile jaunt you should be OK, just keep in mind you have a LOAD behind you.