27 Islander Cruise Air A/C Install

Kai Lover

Reaction score
I am looking to install a 6000 btu cruise heat/air system on my boat with shorepower. No shorepower now. I had a reputable marine a/c company bid the work so far. Cost quoted is $4500 which seems a little steep to me so I am after another offer. Opinions here?

Any suggestions on this install from those who have gone through it. I am looking to mount a/c behind fridge. With outlet drain going behind it (portside) with new stainless drain close to current one for sink. The inlet pump and pickup will be mounted at stern close to freshwater pickup. I wanted to avoid penetrating the hull with another pickup and asked installer if you could use a "Y" type valve and use pickup form the livewell at anchor ( I don't use mine much).

I looked at the DC type system that cruise air has, but really don't want weight of 3 more batteries on boat.

I was interested in getting a pig tail power chord made so I could use a Honda 2000 to power A/C if I go to islands, but the installer cautioned on this due to exhaust fumes. I was thinking it would be okay outside of bulkhead near engines strapped down at anchor...

Any help appreciated.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Have you researched the price of a new marine a/c unit? I have 3 Cruise Air DX systems (2 7K's and 1 16K) on my Pacemaker and although relatively simple units, they are expensive. Add in the labor to rewire an non-wired boat, plumb everything, mount the unit and cut and cover ducts and duct work, your price does not seem all that bad.

As for using it at anchor, with a nice sea breeze, I don't think I use mine at anchor, only at docks.

ahill

Reaction score
My cost for a 6000 Btu unit in my 272 in 2006 was around $3,500. Add shorepower, isolater etc came to $4,200 at a Grady dealer.
I run a Honda 2000 on back platform at anchor with no CO problems. At anchor the transom is always downwind.
I am hesitant to run the gen at dock as a wind from any point aft of beam could deliver CO to cabin.

Kai Lover

Reaction score
Appreciate the comments. I guess $4500 is reasonable from a good installer. I have not called the Grady Dealer to see what they say. Ahill what type of unit did you install and where did the place it?

ahill

Reaction score
Cruiseair.
Mounted under galley sink.
RA in aft cabin but pulls from the whole bilge as well. Installation manual says to not duct the RA.
Raw water pump in bilge beneath cabin sole access plate. Condensate drains to shower sump.
The tech staff at Dometic in Ft. Lauderdale is great.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Do a search for 'mermaid marine air' and you will find my posts about the 6,500-BTU reverse-cycle unit I installed on our Islander 270.

We already had factory shore power, so I didn't have to do that part. It would have been a much larger job.

Brian