27 Sailfish vs. 28 Sailfish

GW96

Reaction score
What are the major differences, is it basically cosmetic? I've seen both and I can see the obvious differences at the helm and in the cabin, also noticed they moved the transom door to the port side from starboard, took out the rear bench seat and made it a cooler instead. But did they make the actual boat any bigger?

Basically what I'm asking is why did they feel the need to change the number from 27 to 28?

Thanks.

ahill

Reaction score
Hull is the same the 272 and 282 are both 28' cl.
My '98 has the rear bench seat which I really like.
I understand the aft cabin is smaller, there is no longer a recessed boarding ladder, cabin windows are different, hardtop is different.
Probably more differences than improvements in my opinion.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Get them out of the water and you can see the difference more clearly.

The bottom running surface on the 282 goes all the way to the back where the engines are mounted. On the 272, the running surface ends more than two feet further forward.

Same difference between the 268 Islander and the 270 Islander.

Makes a difference on the inherent bouyancy of the stern, the weight carrying capacity aft, and the way the hull rides in various sea conditions.

But both are great boats!

Brian

alfa1023

Reaction score
Just a minor clarification - somewhere toward the end of the 272 model production they went to the full running surface at the stern. I had a 2000 272 Sailfish that had that hull configuration.

It was a great boat. But like many others we got the 2 foot-itis (I guess actually 5 - 6 foot-itis) and moved up to our 330 Express.

ahill

Reaction score
The running surface was changed to full running bottom with the '98 model.
I think it had a negative affect on the running angle of the boat.
Extra aft floatation pushes the bow down making the boat want to track in cross seas.

GW96

Reaction score
Thank you very much for clarifying. I didn't think they'd re-design and entire boat just to add 1'. I figured it was more design changes if anything, such as the running surface change. Thanks for the info.

ahill

Reaction score
The 1' was always there.
The 282 and '98 & later have the same hull.
The marketing gurus are the only difference.