27 Sailfish

LT01

Reaction score
I have a 1995 27 Sailfish and overall I'm happy with the boat. We have done alot of work to the boat to bring it back to it's formal glory, BUT...

One problem I have and cannot seem to fix is the LEAKING WINDOWS IN THE CABIN. These windows have frustrated me since I bought the boat and I cannot find the solution to prevent both sea water and rain water from leaking into the cabin.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem so any help from others and what they did to correct the problem would be appriciated.

Thanks,

ahill

Reaction score
I just developed a small leak in my 98 Sailfish fixed front cabin window.
In researching with my dealer I found that the company that made the external weather seal for the windows is out of business and the seals are not available.
I haven't tried to remove the seal and rebed the frame because I was told the seal will probably crumble due to its age.
However, on several boats my dealer has successfully removed crumbling seals, rebed the frame and used black silicone to present the appearance of the seal.
This item is low on my to do list as the leak is minimal and only occurs in wind driven rain.
Let me know if you try the repair and your results.

LT01

Reaction score
ahill,

Thanks for the reply. The windows I'm having problems with are the sliding windows on the side.

Thanks,

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may want to consider drilling a series of parallel small holes to make 1/4 - 3/8 inch long drain slot in the low end of the channels on the outside so they drain and not build up water instead.

gw204

Reaction score
BobP said:
You may want to consider drilling a series of parallel small holes to make 1/4 - 3/8 inch long drain slot in the low end of the channels on the outside so they drain and not build up water instead.

The necessary drain holes are already there. The problem is sloppy installation of the windows. The drain holes are probably 75% stoppep up w/ excess silcone...which makes it easier for them to clog up w/ dirt...thus preventing proper drainage.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, I can't find drain holes, my 204C had them, not on the 252G.

LT01

Reaction score
Do you guys think the water leaking into the cabin is a result of no or clogged drain holes in the window frame?

Is there a solution that will prevent the leaking in addition to drilling the holes in the frame or should the holes solve the problem?

Thanks,

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Leaking windows ...

LT01, .... BOBP is right .....If you don't have ''weep holes' in the window frame ...drill some ... not huge, but big enough that the water won't pool up in the track, when it pools up it works it's way into the cabin .... I would start with that .... JMHO

Tom

richie rich

Reaction score
If you get back to basics, the only way windows can leak is either through them or around them. So if the fit of the window in the opening is subpar...remove it , reseal and re-install it....if its through the window, then either remove water buildup on the sliders as Bob suggested or somehow improve the seals between the slider and the fixed pane....you have to determine first where the water its coming from....use a hose with a sprayer and try to reproduce the problem before tearing things apart or gooping the crap out of the frame.

GradyGEO

Reaction score
Richie states it correctly. The water either goes through them or around them. Just curious, but have you confirmed which? A simple test with a carefully aimed hose will do the trick.

I had a similar problem on my 272 and swore that the water was coming through the track. I did my little test and could not get the window to leak. While the silicone caulking around the window looked fine, I removed it along the top and sides, then re-sealed it. Problem went away and it could not have been any easier. I was prepared to removed the whole window but was very glad I confirmed the source of the leak first.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The U channel at bottom collects water buildup, shoudn't buildup, then where does channel overboard ?

I recall my 20 footer had slots outside so water would drain prior to reaching top of channel.